Hotel used by HAL for cruises from Fort Lauderdale

Cruising Lynne

Hi everyone. We are taking our first cruise on HAL in November, and I have been making our final arrangements. I had already booked a pre cruise hotel through the cruise line for the day before the trip, but decided to come in two days early. I need to book another day at the hotel. Does anyone know which Renaissance Hotel HAL uses? There is one closer to the port, but I think the one HAL uses is actually in Plantation.

I am excited to be going on the Rotterdam, and am adjusting to how Holland America does things. Most of my recent cruises have been with NCL Thanks in advance for any help with this or any other tips for a HAL newbie.

If they are NOT using the Renaissance at the port, I’d be very tempted to drop the stay with HAL entirely, unless I needed wheelchair transportation AND hotel-ship transport was included in the package.

I’d much rather be on/near the Intercoastal on 17th than inland. Easy access to the Water Taxi, relatively easy access to the beach, Las Olas, and more.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

If they are NOT using the Renaissance at the port, I’d be very tempted to drop the stay with HAL entirely, unless I needed wheelchair transportation AND hotel-ship transport was included in the package.

I’d much rather be on/near the Intercoastal on 17th than inland. Easy access to the Water Taxi, relatively easy access to the beach, Las Olas, and more.

There are some odd rules about the hotel’s cancellation.  She will need to be sure she will be refunded.  Otherwise FLL is one place that there are plenty of “cruise hotels” with shuttles 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

There are some odd rules about the hotel’s cancellation.  She will need to be sure she will be refunded.  Otherwise FLL is one place that there are plenty of “cruise hotels” with shuttles 

I was concerned about canceling the hotel for that reason. This is also our first time cruising out of Fort Lauderdale so I was playing it safe booking through the cruise line. Will do it differently next time. 

Try to add the 2nd night thru HAL ... there can be substantial savings for booking 2 nights ... ( it is not 2 x the 1 night rate).  The Renaissance is on 17th  St ... a great location ... walking distance to whatever you might need.

You will love the Rotterdam.

2 minutes ago, Let It Go said:

Try to add the 2nd night thru HAL ... there can be substantial savings for booking 2 nights ... ( it is not 2 x the 1 night rate).  The Renaissance is on 17th  St ... a great location ... walking distance to whatever you might need.

You will love the Rotterdam.

Just spoke with HAL.I was hoping to add the night thru HAL, but it is wait listed. This is good info for next time, thank you. Unfortunately, she told me it is the Renaissance Hotel West on S. Pine Island Rd. in Plantation. Not as good of a location, but it has better reviews.

40 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Just spoke with HAL.I was hoping to add the night thru HAL, but it is wait listed. This is good info for next time, thank you. Unfortunately, she told me it is the Renaissance Hotel West on S. Pine Island Rd. in Plantation. Not as good of a location, but it has better reviews.

Are you able to cancel the HAL reservation and book elsewhere on your own for 2 nights?

As @Mary229 said, there are plenty of "cruise hotels" with shuttle service in FLL.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment

43 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

If you end up staying in Plantation, There is a restaurant called J Alexanders quite close to your hotel. Pretty good food. If you decide to go there secure a reservation, they stay fairly busy.

Hope you have a great trip 🚢

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Are you able to cancel the HAL reservation and book elsewhere on your own for 2 nights?

As @Mary229 said, there are plenty of "cruise hotels" with shuttle service in FLL.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

I ended up adding a night to the hotel on my own. Did not try to cancel. 

Thank you everyone for the tips. Really looking forward to seeing the Rotterdam. 

16 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Planation is a bit away from the port.  Coming in two days early might be a problem for things to do nearby, so check this out ASAP.  

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Planation is a bit away from the port.  Coming in two days early might be a problem for things to do nearby, so check this out ASAP.  

Yes. Looks to be a 15-20 minute drive over to the port. Google earth shows not much around the hotel. I did see a Greek restaurant that there is a five minute walk to, and a Publix Supermarket for last minute supplies. Hoping the weather is good for a relaxing pool day. Definitely doing it different next time. 

This is our first cruise that we are flying for since the big shut down. We have cruised out of New York and Boston since then. We live in Massachusetts so not a bad drive to Manhattan, and about an hour to Boston. I now have an excuse to go out of Fort Lauderdale again and do things differently. I wanted to be able to do the water taxi in the canal. I am glad that at least I did not book the additional day at the wrong hotel. That would have been really bad since I booked the non- refundable rate. I incorrectly assumed that they would use the hotel that was near the port. Husband says not to worry about it we will have fun anyways.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, horseymike said:

If you end up staying in Plantation, There is a restaurant called J Alexanders quite close to your hotel. Pretty good food. If you decide to go there secure a reservation, they stay fairly busy.

Hope you have a great trip 🚢

What type of food does J Alexanders have? On the hotel's web site it lists this restaurant as close as well as several other restaurants within a mile. So appears plenty of other places to eat. They also list a Restaurant at the hotel open in the evening. I wonder how this is.

We will be staying there in December for one night. To be honest when I started comparing hotels and cost HAL was actually a good price and made it cheaper because the will provide transportation from MIA to the hotel and get us to the pier in the morning so for us it was a good option. Ther was a time when hotels through HAL were a bit more expensive but since they offer the arrival transfers to the hotel and then to the ship it makes it worth doing.

• Like 2

J. Alexanders was started in Nashville where I live.  Excellent food and service.  I just ate at the location in Chattanooga.  We have 3 in and around Nashville.  Well prepared American food with a flair.  

• Like 1

Hi Laffn,

They have a fairly extensive menu , prime rib ( my personal favorite) steak,

seafood , chicken , pasta and salads , all good . 
Key lime pie , carrot cake, two more of my favorites.

Really everything I ever had there was good.

If you Google J Alexander’s Plantation , Florida , I think you can click on the website and see the menu.

Hope all goes well for a great trip 🚢

• Like 3

Make sure to check the hotel shuttle times from airport to hotel.  We waited for it at 5pm. After some time phoned hotel to be told they stopped the shuttle at 4:30.   There were several irate customers so they did send  a bus for us.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, highscar said:

Make sure to check the hotel shuttle times from airport to hotel.  We waited for it at 5pm. After some time phoned hotel to be told they stopped the shuttle at 4:30.   There were several irate customers so they did send  a bus for us.  

Thanks, I was just checking our flight time, we do not arrive till 4:50 in MIA, so figured most likely will not get to hotel till 6:30 to 7. HAL is to provide transportation so I will check on this once we get a lot closer. 

• Like 1