ETIAS For 2024 European Travel

hernando52

I just accidently came upon this information about ETIAS, a travel authorization which will be necessary to travel to Europe in 2024.  I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on NCL.  Does anyone know if this will be necessary for anyone cruising in 2024?  In the year 2024, citizens from the United States of America will be required to complete an ETIAS application prior to boarding an aircraft, sea carrier, or coach vehicle for Europe, and this includes travellers who will only be transiting in Europe en route to other destinations.

Edited by hernando52

7 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

I just accidently came upon this information about ETIAS, a travel authorization which will be necessary to travel to Europe in 2024.  I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on NCL.  Does anyone know if this will be necessary for anyone cruising in 2024?

Interesting…following.  Seems like flying into an EU country to catch a cruise would require an ETIAS.

My understanding is as follows:
The European Union are working on an Approval to travel/Visa Waiver system - ETIAS, that they are hoping to start on 1 January 2024. It has already been delayed a couple of times. IF it starts as planned, you will be able to (and will have to) complete an ETIAS online for around 7euros. It will be similar to the US ESTA that people have to complete to visit the USA. It will last 3 years and allow you to travel to any Schengen country for up to 90 days within a 180 day period. You will not need one for each country you visit. So if all works as planned, you will need to apply online for an ETIAS before a holiday to European Union countries in 2024 (there will be a list of the relevant countries). It will not be necessary to visit the UK (although the UK are considering a similar system in the future). UK citizens will also will have to complete an ETIAS, it’s not only US citizens.
I’m sure it will be very straight forward once it’s up and running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe it will be required, yes. The last time I checked on implementation, which was a couple of weeks ago, it hadn't been decided, only "2024." I would expect that US passengers flying to European destinations to catch cruises will be required to get one. Stay tuned, because you can be sure people will talk about it on here and NCL will inform people.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

I just accidently came upon this information about ETIAS, a travel authorization which will be necessary to travel to Europe in 2024.  I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on NCL.  Does anyone know if this will be necessary for anyone cruising in 2024?  In the year 2024, citizens from the United States of America will be required to complete an ETIAS application prior to boarding an aircraft, sea carrier, or coach vehicle for Europe, and this includes travellers who will only be transiting in Europe en route to other destinations.

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Interesting…following.  Seems like flying into an EU country to catch a cruise would require an ETIAS.

The ETIAS has been in the works for years and its implementation has been postponed numerous times. Although 2024 is the current projected start date, no specific date has yet been announced, It's a process similar to the ESTA that the US has required of many travelers for a number of years. There's a lengthy recent thread on the topic, but note that the title of the thread incorrectly calls the ETIAS a visa:

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Notts1964 said:

It will be similar to the US ESTA that people have to complete to visit the USA

And from what I've read, this is exactly the reasoning behind it. Quid pro quo, essentially.

• Like 1

Thank you all for this information.  It is something I'll definitely be keeping my eye on for our 2024 trip. I've never even heard of the US requirement for an ESTA! Like I said, I only came upon this while reading about something else...and it makes me unsettled that I don't even know what I don't know!!

2 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

Thank you all for this information.  It is something I'll definitely be keeping my eye on for our 2024 trip. I've never even heard of the US requirement for an ESTA! Like I said, I only came upon this while reading about something else...and it makes me unsettled that I don't even know what I don't know!!

FYI the site I checked last time still just says 2024, no specific date given. It could be December 31, 2024 at 11:59 pm, LOL.  https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/etias-start-date-2024

28 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

And from what I've read, this is exactly the reasoning behind it. Quid pro quo, essentially.

It's not quid pro quo because it will apply to all non EU citizens not just US.  As a British citizen I'll need one too, and we don't have anything similar for EU citizens (or the US for that matter) to come to the UK.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cassie55 said:

It's not quid pro quo because it will apply to all non EU citizens not just US.  As a British citizen I'll need one too, and we don't have anything similar for EU citizens (or the US for that matter) to come to the UK.

Yes, it IS quid pro quo. Many countries whose citizens want to visit the US have to apply for an ESTA. As @Notts1964 pointed out. So it DOES apply to citizens of those countries who needed the ESTA, and possibly others as well.

1 hour ago, hernando52 said:

I just accidently came upon this information about ETIAS, a travel authorization which will be necessary to travel to Europe in 2024.  I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on NCL.  Does anyone know if this will be necessary for anyone cruising in 2024?  In the year 2024, citizens from the United States of America will be required to complete an ETIAS application prior to boarding an aircraft, sea carrier, or coach vehicle for Europe, and this includes travelers who will only be transiting in Europe en route to other destinations.

It has been discussed extensively on Cruise Critic. If you enter the EU or Britain, you will need to apply and pay.

Since the system is months away from being implemented, that is the extent of the details for now. When it happens, it happens. Only speculation on the implementation right now. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It has been discussed extensively on Cruise Critic. If you enter the EU or Britain, you will need to apply and pay.

Just to be clear, ETIAS is nothing to do with the UK. I believe that we are introducing our own version and if people are visiting the UK and the EU they will likely need both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Since the system is months away from being implemented, that is the extent of the details for now. When it happens, it happens. Only speculation on the implementation right now. 

As I mentioned above, you do not need an ETIAS to enter the UK.

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Something tells me ETIAS will be a PITA.

Yes, I know it's only a few dollars...and supposedly only takes a few minutes to complete...but it's a government program. What could go wrong, right?

We have been dealing with ESTAs for travel to the US for many years now and I’ve applied quite a few times and it is really not a problem. They have recently added a bit of messing around having to upload a photo of your passport which seemed to cause some complaints, but it went fine when I applied earlier this year.

I believe that this will be similar so it should just be a few minutes to apply and a payment that we would all rather not make.

It’s something we would all rather not have to bother with but for most people I think it will be far from being a PITA

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hernando52 said:

Does anyone know if this will be necessary for anyone cruising in 2024?  In the year 2024, citizens from the United States of America will be required to complete an ETIAS application prior to boarding an aircraft, sea carrier, or coach vehicle for Europe, and this includes travellers who will only be transiting in Europe en route to other destinations.

If it is required, you apply online giving personal info passport number etc. New Zealand started requiring them about 5 years ago. I applied online and paid about $30 for the 2-year visa which could be used unlimited times. In about 10 minutes I had the visa with instructions to download and print the page and take it with me. Using that I had no problems when I visited NZ.  Hopefully the UE will have much the same easy program.

Sounds good to me!  I just need to know what to do and what to pay so that I can enjoy Europe again.  I'll keep my eyes open for updates.  I'm not on the NCL general Cruise Critic board all that much...I stick mostly on the Roll Calls

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not everyone will need to pay. Unless they change what has been proposed and postponed 70+ will be free. I believe there is also an age which if you are below it is also free, but I do not remember what specific age.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Not everyone will need to pay. Unless they change what has been proposed and postponed 70+ will be free. I believe there is also an age which if you are below it is also free, but I do not remember what specific age.

The application fee is waived for travelers under age 18, or over age 70.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay...I have another question regarding ETAs....This one is more urgent as I leave for Europe in about a month.  I am a US citizen.  Our flight back from Rome to Orlando, FL is through Toronto, Canada.......Do I need to have a travel authorization to travel from Rome to Toronto??  This is all new to me and the Canadian site regarding visas just is not clear to me.  

19 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It's only going to be 7 Euro for 3 years.

Right!!!  Personally I’m fine with some government oversight on who enters their country.  And 7 Euro for 3 years is well worth my time to get approval.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Right!!!  Personally I’m fine with some government oversight on who enters their country.  And 7 Euro for 3 years is well worth my time to get approval.  

I agree and as I live in Europe, so close to the EU I will keep it rolling for the sake of 7 Euro, then I know I can travel when I like.
Out of interest the UK is also introducing an ETA which they plan to start trials this October but only Qatar, the Gulf Council countries added in February 2024 then worldwide by the end of 2024, they are talking about £10 for 2 years for our ETA

1 hour ago, hernando52 said:

Okay...I have another question regarding ETAs....This one is more urgent as I leave for Europe in about a month.  I am a US citizen.  Our flight back from Rome to Orlando, FL is through Toronto, Canada.......Do I need to have a travel authorization to travel from Rome to Toronto??  This is all new to me and the Canadian site regarding visas just is not clear to me.  

US citizens don't need an eTA. This is from the Government of Canada:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1116&top=16

American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens, must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada. You do not need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an eTA to enter Canada if you are travelling with a valid U.S. passport.

• Like 2