can I bring a coffee maker onto NCL cruise??

artemis846

The non-Haven rooms will have a one-cup coffee maker available. I read a tip here to bring our own coffee pods and the coffee will taste better than the "hotel-like" pads NCL provides. Go to Amazon and search for Senseo pods. There are other brands as well, search for pads or pods. We ordered the Senseo extra strong for our upcoming cruise. They smell great, we'll see how they taste!

Denise

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, artemis846 said:

I would like to bring my own Keruig onto the ship. is that allowed?

Nothing against your request, but seriously, if you were going to bring a coffee maker on. board, I think I'd pick something a tad better than a Keurig.  As bad as the coffee is in the buffet, I certainly would prefer it over a Keurig.

These would be way better, too....

https://maxpressocoffee.com

https://athome.starbucks.com/product-category/starbucksr-instant?gclsrc=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&gclid=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_campaign=CY22_AlwaysOnSearch&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=starbuck instant coffee&utm_matchtype=e

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On our last 3 week Italy/Greece cruise and land trip in 2019 I found a collapsible hot water pot for the hotel rooms.  I tested alot of instant coffees. The only one that smelled and tasted like coffee was the Starbucks Via House blend. Of course they don’t make it anymore but I just bought a bunch from EBay.  

And I did order hot water every morning from room service.  We were only one floor down from the buffet and some times my husband would run up and fill the pot with hot water from there.  

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Nothing against your request, but seriously, if you were going to bring a coffee maker on. board, I think I'd pick something a tad better than a Keurig.  As bad as the coffee is in the buffet, I certainly would prefer it over a Keurig.

It's a matter of personal taste.  We book Haven so we have a Nespresso in our room.  I would much rather have a Keurig.  

Nothing wrong with the buffet coffee.  In fact, on our last cruise, we were in an aft haven so it was a short walk to the buffet.  I had a small thermos.  I got up, put on some clothes and brought some coffee back to the room. Next cruise we're in the haven proper so the butler will bring it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

https://maxpressocoffee.com

https://athome.starbucks.com/product-category/starbucksr-instant?gclsrc=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&gclid=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_campaign=CY22_AlwaysOnSearch&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=starbuck instant coffee&utm_matchtype=e

Thanks so much for the info!! I just said the Keurig because it is so easy-but I will certainly look into this! Thank you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

On our last 3 week Italy/Greece cruise and land trip in 2019 I found a collapsible hot water pot for the hotel rooms.  I tested alot of instant coffees. The only one that smelled and tasted like coffee was the Starbucks Via House blend. Of course they don’t make it anymore but I just bought a bunch from EBay.  

And I did order hot water every morning from room service.  We were only one floor down from the buffet and some times my husband would run up and fill the pot with hot water from there.  

There is a wonderful instant coffee from Brazil. I drank it at fogo de chao.  You can buy it from Amazon. I don’t have the exact name. Something like igascu.  I Al a coffee snob and this one surprised me

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sundiego said:

The non-Haven rooms will have a one-cup coffee maker available. I read a tip here to bring our own coffee pods and the coffee will taste better than the "hotel-like" pads NCL provides. Go to Amazon and search for Senseo pods. There are other brands as well, search for pads or pods. We ordered the Senseo extra strong for our upcoming cruise. They smell great, we'll see how they taste!

Denise

These work great when bringing your own coffee. I used them

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDNIKU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I make my own pods using our favorite coffee from home.

buy empty tea bags (WalMart online, nt store) $5/100

fill with grounds according to your taste.  I use 1 Tble + 1 tsp

fold ovee twice staple across (four staples 

Do not use the draw string to close the bag, it will leak grounds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sundiego said:

How much coffee do you put in these? Like a heaping Tbsp?

Thanks!

Denise

I take my coffee scoop from home....and use one scoop. I think maybe a heaping tablesoon would do. But you can experiment according to how strong or weak you like it. 

• Thanks 1

Upon arriving for embarkation, I'm always amazed at seeing people dragging literally the largest pieces of  luggage that I never even knew existed.  They're dragging taped boxes, too.  Then, they have the unreal sized purses/shoulder bags brimming with stuff that looks as if they just shoved their entire bedroom in to.  Who knows what's in all of that.  What is it that was so important?  Coffee makers?  Hot plates (hell, they won't even allow those in college dorm rooms)?  Stuffed animals (seriously)?  I relayed a story about a guy who had a T-Rex costume he hauled on board.  Let's just say it didn't end well for him.

If they get it on, they have to get it back off.  So, I'm once again seeing them during disembarkation dragging even more stuff to add to the stuff they brought on board, because they saved $2 on a bottle of liquor.

So, seeing some of what people want to bring with them always makes me chuckle.  They are miserable hauling it to the ship, and many times from the airport they just came in on, where they had to haul and check it.  They are miserable hauling at least some of it around the ship with them until their cabin is ready.  And, they have to pack it back up and haul it off the ship, through the port terminal and to where it is they are going.

There's usually a guy who is acting as a pack mule.  He's grumbling the entire time.  But, by golly, they're taking their home with them on to the ship.

I love parking myself at a bar on embarkation just to watch the parade of these folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Upon arriving for embarkation, I'm always amazed at seeing people dragging literally the largest pieces of  luggage that I never even knew existed.  They're dragging taped boxes, too.  Then, they have the unreal sized purses/shoulder bags brimming with stuff that looks as if they just shoved their entire bedroom in to.

I attribute a lot of that to three things.

First, the large number of threads recommending items to take along.

Second, a failure to decide, ie, "Well, I might need this or I don't know which pair of shoes I'll want to wear with these outfits-guess I'll just bring both pairs."

Third, "What will they think of me if I wear an outfit twice?"  Who cares,  you'll never see them again.

Make a list. 

Layout all of the items on the bed you think  you might need or wear.

Layout the cash you think you'll spend.

Put half the items you think you'll need back in the closet.

Put twice as much money on the bed.

Now, pack the things on the bed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Put half the items you think you'll need back in the closet.

Put twice as much money on the bed.

Now, pack the things on the bed. 

^^This. We always strive for carry on only. Sometimes successful and sometimes not depending on the "climate zones". But we always try.

Bringing your own coffee maker  and coffee seems like a big inconvenience for a little reward. I agree the ship coffee can be pretty bad. My husband is from South America. So we do as they do- mix instant coffee (Sanka or Nescafé is best to me) with hot milk. It’s rich and tasty. I think you can get both on board. I also have a small device that whips the coffee so it’s more like  cappuccino. 
I think most ships also have Starbucks or some kind of specialty coffee spots. I’d rather pay a few dollars a day for a Starbucks than haul a coffee maker and pods around. 

15 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Can I bring my own Hotplate ? I'm thinking of whipping up some scrambled eggs in the morning to save on room service fees.

I really hope this is a joke.  If it was - hilarious.  If not, hilarious and yet sad at the same time.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yesterday my friend showed me his minipresso from wacaco and I was so impressed. If your a diehard coffee person who is really picky you might want to check it out. It’s small and meant for travel and they make different versions.

10 hours ago, Szt said:

Bringing your own coffee maker  and coffee seems like a big inconvenience for a little reward. I agree the ship coffee can be pretty bad. My husband is from South America. So we do as they do- mix instant coffee (Sanka or Nescafé is best to me) with hot milk. It’s rich and tasty. I think you can get both on board. I also have a small device that whips the coffee so it’s more like  cappuccino. 
I think most ships also have Starbucks or some kind of specialty coffee spots. I’d rather pay a few dollars a day for a Starbucks than haul a coffee maker and pods around. 

^^this^^

I can tell that none of the people dragging along coffee makers of whatever size had careers in teaching or nursing.  When you’ve gotten used to drinking cold or (if lucky) reheated-for-the-third-time-in-the-staff-room-microwave coffee, even the buffet coffee on a cruise ship will be just fine…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

As a carry on only kinda girl, I am truly amazed at the refrigerator sized suitcases some people bring.  People watching is a great pastime in our family, and of course a seat at the bar only makes it better. 🍹

With you on that!!!

One of the first things I do on the cruise….grab a cocktail and watch the parade.  They wrestle their luggage/packages to and through the terminal, through check in and finally up and around the gang plank, try to get a seat in the Local or O’Sheehans, complain that they can’t get on an elevator because their luggage won’t fit on an already busy bank of them.  Husband/Boyfriend snaps at the wife/GF, she snaps back.  And, this is all before they get to their cabin, which won’t be ready for another 4 hours because they insisted on getting to the terminal before the disembarking passengers have all left the ship.

And for what?  To take a U-Haul worth of “stuff” on board, when less than ½ of it will be used.

I often wonder how many relationships began their demise upon embarkation/disembarkation of a cruise ship?

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4