Penthouse suite must dos

D1324tt

Have been on a handful of cruises but never on Princess and never in a penthouse suite. We're sailing on the Majestic Princess next year and booked a penthouse suite traveling the west coast.

What are some of the suite perks we should be sure to indulge in during our cruise?  We did upgrade to the Plus package.

Thanks for advice.

• Like 1

1st 2 things that come to mind:  1) Suite breakfast - on the Majestic it will be in Harmonyrestaurant every morning.  Don't feel limited to what you see on the menu, they will get just about anything you ask for (within reason) and enjoy the mimosas and cappuccinos.  2) Take advantage of the Concierge lounge - early morning latte or coffee or espresso, juice and pastries; afternoon snacks and before dinner appetizers and wine/cocktails.  Also, get any of your needs or questions handled by the Concierge- don't stand in line for Excursions Desk or Guest Services or Specialty Dining reservations.  So convenient!!!  Enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, D1324tt said:

Have been on a handful of cruises but never on Princess and never in a penthouse suite. We're sailing on the Majestic Princess next year and booked a penthouse suite traveling the west coast.

What are some of the suite perks we should be sure to indulge in during our cruise?  We did upgrade to the Plus package.

Thanks for advice.

Definitely the specialty breakfast. I wake up for those especially - and I am not a morning person, nor a breakfast person really. But a mimosa or 2 with fresh eggs benedict and a side of crispy bacon - yeah, I'll wake up for those..

First night specialty dinner is a lovely way to start.

If it's a longer cruise, laundry service is great! Or, even on a short cruise, sending things out to be pressed instead of doing it yourself is wonderful!

Concierge lounge has a happy hour or two - wine, beer at no charge (or against package count), snacks, etc.

And, all day/night you can access the concierge lounge for snacks, espresso based coffees from the machine, usually soda and waters too...

The Concierge is handy, but the hours are limited.. 

Priority tender (ship to shore) is handy, should you have tender ports.

Room service lunch off the MDR menu, or dinner off the MDR is wonderful on days you want to just chill out!

Have a wonderful time!! 

• Like 1

Suites are the reason I will never be Elite and I couldn’t care less about that.  I’d rather sail in a suite once or maybe twice a year than sail many times in a lower grade cabin.  I love the space, the no wait dining, the concierge lounge (since often impossible to get seats in a bar for a drink before dinner as we travel with another couple), the speedy room service, the free laundry, the embarkation day lunch and the specialty dinner that evening, the Sabatini breakfast (although I’d rather have a Bloody Mary than a mimosa!), 
I know that everyone on board gets the same food, the same entertainment and the same joy of simply being on the ocean and I can understand wanting to go often but…..we’re all different and “we pays our money and we takes our choices”.

Haha, all this just to say that you’ll have a fab time in your penthouse suite (my favourite except for its mean little balcony, unless aft) and make sure you make the most of it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, teenieleek said:

P.S.  How many cruises/nights to be elite please?  Apparently I’m Ruby at the moment according to the app.  I might be wrong but do you get anything with Elite that you don’t get in a suite anyway?

15 cruise credits (1 credit per sailing segment) or 150 cruise days.

Suites get double cruise credits per sailing..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

15 cruise credits (1 credit per sailing segment) or 150 cruise days.

Suites get double cruise credits per sailing..

I’ll definitely never make it to Elite then!  At a chat with the Captain on the Pacific Princess en route to Greenland he volunteered that many Elite members achieved that status in inside/ocean view cabins on a succession of four/five night trips from California and joining their club was not seen as much of an achievement by officers.  That trip (eighteen nights from Southampton) was our first with Princess and on the evening of the Elite cocktail party we were the only people eating in the club class dining area. We had to ask why the room was empty.  We felt like lepers.  The flip side was we got great service and the staff came to chat, presumably because they felt sorry for us.  It was apparently considered a “special” trip so mostly seasoned travellers (i.e. mostly elite) would go.  It was a fantastic trip and I’m still sad that we can can no longer go on that ship…..unless we go with Azamara.

20 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Definitely the specialty breakfast. I wake up for those especially - and I am not a morning person, nor a breakfast person really. But a mimosa or 2 with fresh eggs benedict and a side of crispy bacon - yeah, I'll wake up for those..

First night specialty dinner is a lovely way to start.

If it's a longer cruise, laundry service is great! Or, even on a short cruise, sending things out to be pressed instead of doing it yourself is wonderful!

Concierge lounge has a happy hour or two - wine, beer at no charge (or against package count), snacks, etc.

And, all day/night you can access the concierge lounge for snacks, espresso based coffees from the machine, usually soda and waters too...

The Concierge is handy, but the hours are limited.. 

Priority tender (ship to shore) is handy, should you have tender ports.

Room service lunch off the MDR menu, or dinner off the MDR is wonderful on days you want to just chill out!

Have a wonderful time!! 

Just don’t expect your room service meal to be at the correct temperature since all courses come together. That ice cream for dessert will be soup

Guest Snaxmuppet

I found the laundry to be invaluable on a longer cruise. Our last cruise was 14 nights and I sent my dress shirt away to be washed and pressed between the formal nights.

Concierge lounge is a sanctuary for us to get away from the crowds without needing to return to the room. 

Don't forget to ask for canapés before you go out for the evening... they are included in suites but you have to ask for them... IIRC the day before.

Anytime boarding is superb. 

Speciality breakfasts (in Sabatini's on Sky) we love. They get to know what you want each day. I love that.

19 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I found the laundry to be invaluable on a longer cruise. Our last cruise was 14 nights and I sent my dress shirt away to be washed and pressed between the formal nights.

Concierge lounge is a sanctuary for us to get away from the crowds without needing to return to the room. 

Don't forget to ask for canapés before you go out for the evening... they are included in suites but you have to ask for them... IIRC the day before.

Anytime boarding is superb. 

Speciality breakfasts (in Sabatini's on Sky) we love. They get to know what you want each day. I love that.

Just be aware that the concierge lounge only exists on Royal class ships

We too are just across the corridor from the concierge lounge on our next trip (first on Sky).  I’m anticipating a few early morning scuttles across and back with a nice coffee.  I’m a bit anxious about overcrowding on the ship.  I thought it was crowded last time on the Regal and one dining room was never opened due to low capacity!

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

I too am a bit concerned about capacity and overcrowding. Although we didn't like cruising with all the covid restrictions it did mean that the ships felt almost empty. Last time we cruised was September 2022 and although things were starting to get back to normal the ship (Sky Princess) was certainly not at capacity. We next sail in April 2024 and I am expecting it to but totally at capacity given that a few of class of rooms are already booked out. 

This time we are taking a suite to try to mitigate some of our concerns. Having access to a good-sized cabin along with the suite benefits will make it easier for us if we start to feel overcome with the crowds.

We have only sailed in a suite once before but we decided after that to cruise less but in a mini-suite or a suite if we could get an offer rather than cruising more but in a inside or balcony cabin. We have been spoiled now... perhaps forever!

On 8/25/2023 at 11:33 AM, DiRonT said:

1st 2 things that come to mind:  1) Suite breakfast - on the Majestic it will be in Harmonyrestaurant every morning.  Don't feel limited to what you see on the menu, they will get just about anything you ask for (within reason) and enjoy the mimosas and cappuccinos.  2) Take advantage of the Concierge lounge - early morning latte or coffee or espresso, juice and pastries; afternoon snacks and before dinner appetizers and wine/cocktails.  Also, get any of your needs or questions handled by the Concierge- don't stand in line for Excursions Desk or Guest Services or Specialty Dining reservations.  So convenient!!!  Enjoy.

Suite breakfast on Majestic was in Crown Grill last time I was on it.  

Make sure you read the list of amenities that should be waiting for you in your cabin on embarkation day.  Some ships give passengers in suites free Enclave (in the spa), others don't.  We had it on the Royal Princess, but not on Enchanted.  Have a wonderful trip!😄

On 8/25/2023 at 11:44 AM, D1324tt said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. Just so happens that our suite is across the passageway from the Concierge Lounge. How convenient.

Thanks again

Boy, are you lucky, It is open 24hrs a day. I always book that location.

I am a total insomniac. I walk across the hallway at 2am  in the morning in my bathrobe.

They showed me where I can get milk & cookies in the middle of the night.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kenexx said:

Suite breakfast on Majestic was in Crown Grill last time I was on it.  

Good to know as we will be on the Majestic again next year.  Think Crown Grill might be a better location.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, D1324tt said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. Just so happens that our suite is across the passageway from the Concierge Lounge. How convenient.

Thanks again

Mine was right there on the Discovery! I loved walking over and getting coffee in the morning and decaf at night.  I had the Plus package but really didn’t need it with the mini bar and concierge lounge.  

My favorite night was getting Room Service from the MDR and sitting on my balcony eating while watching the Christmas Boat Show in San Diego.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 12:00 PM, teenieleek said:

Suites are the reason I will never be Elite and I couldn’t care less about that.  I’d rather sail in a suite once or maybe twice a year than sail many times in a lower grade cabin.  I love the space, the no wait dining, the concierge lounge (since often impossible to get seats in a bar for a drink before dinner as we travel with another couple), the speedy room service, the free laundry, the embarkation day lunch and the specialty dinner that evening, the Sabatini breakfast (although I’d rather have a Bloody Mary than a mimosa!), 
I know that everyone on board gets the same food, the same entertainment and the same joy of simply being on the ocean and I can understand wanting to go often but…..we’re all different and “we pays our money and we takes our choices”.

Haha, all this just to say that you’ll have a fab time in your penthouse suite (my favourite except for its mean little balcony, unless aft) and make sure you make the most of it.

Is there a special lunch on embarkation day for suites?