Opal Card or Credit Card

Tedferg

I think I read on here that tap credit card is easy to use on ferry and light rail, is that correct or do we need an Opal card? Would one Opal card work for two people? I am thinking two separate cards are easier to use than one but then you need to top up two cards. Seems like credit card would be simpler. We will be in Sydney for three days.

Each traveller must have their own card, either Opal or credit/debit card. The system will only allow one tap on and then off per journey and will also calculate the total days limit. I.e., it will stop charging you after you have reached the daily cap, even if you keep travelling and tapping.

If you only have the one credit or debit card, the other person will need an Opal card.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 8:04 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

We used credit cards.  Cheap and easy.  No need for an Opal card, as far as I can see.

Thanks, on our British Isles cruise this summer we found the tap card to be universal. I just wondered if Sydney rapid transit might be different.

17 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks, on our British Isles cruise this summer we found the tap card to be universal. I just wondered if Sydney rapid transit might be different.

Sydney public transport can be used with Amex and Visa/Mastercard credit or debit cars as well as the Opal card. They must be contactless and no other card is accepted. 

18 hours ago, retird said:

In 2016 we used an opal card and kept replenishing it from our bank account/credit card.    Found it super easy

My concern was that we would both need Opal cards and difficulty in estimating how many $ to top them up. Assumed any unused residual might be lost. Since we both have tap credit cards, that's an easier solution.

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

My concern was that we would both need Opal cards and difficulty in estimating how many $ to top them up. Assumed any unused residual might be lost. Since we both have tap credit cards, that's an easier solution.

If you both have credit cards, that's the way to do it. Very easy tap and go.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:16 AM, retird said:

In 2016 we used an opal card and kept replenishing it from our bank account/credit card.    Found it super easy

Back in 2016, you couldn't use your credit card to tap and go on NSW public transport. Now, using the CC, it saves on having the necessity of obtaining an Opal card. 

29 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Back in 2016, you couldn't use your credit card to tap and go on NSW public transport. Now, using the CC, it saves on having the necessity of obtaining an Opal card. 

Thanks , i didnt realize you could use a credit card now.  So does the system bill your credit card every time you tap in and then out?   And does it still track your daily use to stop charging when you reach the max for that day?

13 minutes ago, retird said:

Thanks , i didnt realize you could use a credit card now.  So does the system bill your credit card every time you tap in and then out?   And does it still track your daily use to stop charging when you reach the max for that day?

Yes it does. A much easier way to pay. 

• Like 1

We used credit cards only on the various and many forms of travel in Sydney last winter (their summer), taking ferries, trains, subway, buses, etc.  I was amazed at how little we actually ended up paying when I got home and checked our credit card bill.  It was amazing.  And easy, even from us 'country' folks in rural Nebraska.

• Like 1