Tips for the Haven?

DevonianCruiser

On 8/29/2023 at 11:16 AM, kasimir said:

That is awesome, not sure if many people are even aware of this. Not that I usually plan for watching movies on a vacation/cruise, but our upcoming cruise is a TA with lots of sea days, so I might end up watching a movie here or there. 😉 

One of our little pleasures on a cruise is to have a movie night one night of our cruise. We get room service/pizza and some popcorn if its available and have a nice cosy night. It's great to recharge for the evening and have some quality relaxation time.

• Like 5

On 8/26/2023 at 2:40 PM, DevonianCruiser said:

Been a few years since with been with NCL, have booked a two bed suite in the Haven on Epic for next summer. Just wonder if anyone’s got any tips for making the most of it? At the moment it’s my wife and I and our daughter who’ll be 8. Had a penthouse on the Jade years ago but that’s a lot different to the Haven from what I can see.

We like to go to the Haven Restaurant for our meals. The Epic has one of the largest restaurants in the fleet and a lovely outdoors dining area too. 

This thread is about a year old, and there have been some small changes in the menu, but it gives you an idea of what complimentary dining in a suite is like

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:49 PM, Sthrngary said:

Those of you that know me, I am the author of the Secrets to the Haven VIP experience.  When you start bringing up children in a Haven Thread you are playing with fire.  I know.  I wrote the Stream mentioned above.  The first post was several pages long.  Two sentences, maybe 25 words were on the children in the Haven Pool and Hot Tub.  It was like nothing else in the op-ed was important. Parents came out of the woodwork commenting their children were well behaved, supervised, and on poster sent a picture of her daughters doing her studies at a table by the Haven Pool. Other parents argued their child paid to be in the Haven just like everyone else. 

This issue always creates debate and comes up at least every 60 days.  The issue is not the children.  The issue is not the well mannered children, most are.  The issue is the parents thinking the Haven Pool and Crew are baby sitters for their children when the parents are on vacation.  Kids are kids and without parental supervision, they can run a muck.  If I, a 66 year old man say something to a child that is not mine, the parent will not be happy.  So as my original op-ed stated, I simply go to the Haven Sundeck and from that point forward, only booked Haven Suites on ships that had hot tubs on the Haven Sundeck.  For my, problem solved. 

Funny story, I was in one of the two Haven Courtyard Hot tubs on the NCL Getaway.  These two hot tubs had a gang of 8 or so children with ages from 5 to maybe 10.  I went in when their was room for me and one of the kids in the hot tub said and I quote, "Why are your teeth so yellow!"  Out of the mouth of babes of time come jewels. 

When I got home I booked a teeth whitening with my dentist.  My teeth are lovely now.  True story.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

I was not expecting the teeth story.  It was great. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

Cruising and all travel is on hold as I have a 15.5 year old dog.  So, it is fun to live vicariously here.  

@DMH15 My dog is one of my favorite beings.  His name is Otis Redding.  He is a 7 year old (tommorrow is his birthday) French Bulldog.  He has been a good friend to my wife and me.  It would be my honor to stay with him in his old age and show him the loyalty and respect he has shown us as you are doing for your kind dog.  

You can live vicariously through my postings, ask any questions you want, any time you want.  When you are ready, reach out to me and I will share what ever information you want on cruising at the time.  I am just a frequent guest that studies cruising every day.  

Tell your puppy, Otis says hello.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@DMH15 My dog is one of my favorite beings.  His name is Otis Redding.  He is a 7 year old (tommorrow is his birthday) French Bulldog.  He has been a good friend to my wife and me.  It would be my honor to stay with him in his old age and show him the loyalty and respect he has shown us as you are doing for your kind dog.  

You can live vicariously through my postings, ask any questions you want, any time you want.  When you are ready, reach out to me and I will share what ever information you want on cruising at the time.  I am just a frequent guest that studies cruising every day.  

Tell your puppy, Otis says hello.

What a nice post.  My old sweet girl is Lexie.  She is a Shibu-Corgi mix.   I am joking that we are buying our vet a beach house.  As he says “she is a sweet and happy girl with ISSUES”.   A month or so ago she tore her ACL just walking.   So I pull her around in her buggy and all our neighbors say hi and love her.  She has an inoperable mass in her ear that keeps giving her ear infections.  And she has lypomas, after 2 surgeries, when she was young, we decided no more.  But, every day I assess her her life quality, which is good as we speak, so every day has been a blessing.  

Funny, I have always wished I could take her on a cruise.  She would behave admirably.  But in reality I really do not think dogs belong on a cruise, especially a larger ship.  But I can imagine it. 

Retirement is sooner rather than later so I know there will be more cruises.  I can wait.  

Otis!  Omg… “Dock of the Bay” is in my personal top 10 list.  Hopefully you and your wife have many more years with him. 

Edited by DMH15
Added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My tips for the Haven would be the same for any cruise.  Don't over plan!   I think because of the excitement booking the Haven and the pre-concierge makes people over plan.  I was one of them once.  Details about pillows, your lounger on the balcony, and your fridge can all be worked out when you are on board.  Your butler does not need advanced lists for a cruise that is happening months in advance.  I have always pre-booked shows and restaurants online but even those can be handled by the concierge once on board. IMHO that is what makes it a luxury vacation.  You can relax and not worry about anything until you get on board.  I see way too many threads here of people over planning their Haven cruise.  I've been there and done that.  It always leads to more frustration because half of the stuff never gets done and must get sorted out on embarkation day.  So my biggest "tip" would be is CHILL.  Sit back and enjoy the cruise 😘

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

My tips for the Haven would be the same for any cruise.  Don't over plan!   I think because of the excitement booking the Haven and the pre-concierge makes people over plan.  I was one of them once.  Details about pillows, your lounger on the balcony, and your fridge can all be worked out when you are on board.  Your butler does not need advanced lists for a cruise that is happening months in advance.  I have always pre-booked shows and restaurants online but even those can be handled by the concierge once on board. IMHO that is what makes it a luxury vacation.  You can relax and not worry about anything until you get on board.  I see way too many threads here of people over planning their Haven cruise.  I've been there and done that.  It always leads to more frustration because half of the stuff never gets done and must get sorted out on embarkation day.  So my biggest "tip" would be is CHILL.  Sit back and enjoy the cruise 😘

I'm in full agreement with you! I am so excited by all the possibilities of a cruise that I am always watching ship reviews, listening to podcasts, and obviously being here on Cruise Critic. I was watching a ship tour of the Pr1ma when I realized that I don't actually need to know about every nook and cranny. Self discovery is really a grand thing. I'm still here. Still asking questions, but looking at fewer of the video/photo type Pr1ma content. 

For a first-timer, it's absolutely important to do some research. I read the entirety of both Haven Secrets posts and learned a lot from so many posters there about what I wanted to do/didn't want to do. But, a first-timer doesn't need to devote that many hours to dozens of pages of tips to get a good understanding of the benefits. 

I hear what you're saying and understand your thoughts on this as they do make sense.  However, I'm the exact opposite.  LOL!  I'm an obsessive planner so I like to have everything done before I get on the ship.  Cabin requests made, reservations done.  When I step on the ship I completely relax and don't have to think about or plan anything.  Once I'm on the ship I just chill and go with the flow, no stress.

Everyone has their way of relaxing and we all do whatever works the best for us.

Enjoy!

With you on that one.  That’s one of the BIG reasons I like sailing in the Haven….letting someone take care of all that for me.  

Once on board, I huddle with the Concierge and work out dining and entertainment plans and turn them loose to do their job.  Same with the Butler, although I’ve not had nearly as much luck with them.  I tell them what to bring for snacks (if anything….no chocolate covered strawberries, but they insist on bringing the anyway), as an example.  The rest, coffee,  pillows choices take a minute to communicate, plus it allows for introductions.

I get on board and everything is done for me.  I don’t do any of it.  That’s the beauty of the Haven in my estimation.

12 hours ago, DMH15 said:

Cruising and all travel is on hold as I have a 15.5 year old dog.  So, it is fun to live vicariously here.  

They’re integral parts of our families.  And, just like any other being in our lives, we help them along when they are ill, infirm or in need.  Bless your soul for being there for your pup as s/he ages.  I know way too many who find their pets disposable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

@david_sobe I am the crazy, over planner for all of my expensive purchases in my life.  Whether a VIP access to a four day Concert event; high end coffee machine or yes cruises.  My experience that lead to this research was simply to know what you receive when you pay a premium for a product. All the cruise companies marketing team make the experience sound over the top but with further examination, you realize there is always "Fine Print".  How things really work is not quite as clear and for the money, I personally want to know. 

The more folks know about what you gain or don't from paying a premium like with the Haven, the more they can make a business decision to book or not to book.  It is not about utilizing every amenity or benefit.  It is about simply knowing what is available and leveraging what suits your needs best.  Not to know something was there and realizing it would have enhanced your cruising experience would be a shame. 

I however go way to far, WAY TO FAR.  I make the excuse that I am helping the other cruising with me to know the ropes and help them enhance their vacation.  That is a big fat LIE.  I do it because I am bored and like the process.  It benefits me, my need to uncover what others don't know about and share.  It is a personality flaw which is as stated selfish and self serving.  Will I continue to do it, "YES".  Why? "I like to do it."  Should everyone, "NO".  Why, "they don't like to do it.  As my adult sone says daily, "Dad, you do you!!!"

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I however go way to far, WAY TO FAR.  I make the excuse that I am helping the other cruising with me to know the ropes and help them enhance their vacation.  That is a big fat LIE.  I do it because I am bored and like the process.  It benefits me, my need to uncover what others don't know about and share.  It is a personality flaw which is as stated selfish and self serving.  Will I continue to do it, "YES".  Why? "I like to do it."  Should everyone, "NO".  Why, "they don't like to do it.  As my adult sone says daily, "Dad, you do you!!!"

LOL...love the honest self assessment. 

26 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

LOL...love the honest self assessment. 

@ColeThornton That is me, "Mr. Honesty".  It is obvious that in life, we have a group of folks that for some reason must go over the top researching things.  I am one of them.  Yet, I also acknowledge that as important is Realistic Expectations.  Example of marketing claims is the best food on the sea.  That is a marketing department that never learned the notion of "Under promise and over deliver."  

For me, if something is an issue that other folks have had, I through my preparation can avoid it at all costs.  If on that one issue, I am not disappointed.  I controlled what was controllable.  Cruising is inconsistant, full of uncontrollable, and sometimes the luck of the draw.  All I say, "make the best of it and do what you can reasonably do with the focus of Realistic Expectations."

Mr. Honest sighing off. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

They’re integral parts of our families.  And, just like any other being in our lives, we help them along when they are ill, infirm or in need.  Bless your soul for being there for your pup as s/he ages.  I know way too many who find their pets disposable.

Thank you.  I really appreciate your kind words.  

I tell people Lexie is the boss.  I just pay her bills. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

Thank you.  I really appreciate your kind words.  

I tell people Lexie is the boss.  I just pay her bills. 

😉

Sometimes it feels that way.  Just like our kids, we cater to their food wants, take them out when they want, make sure they're warm and dry.  LOL!

But, they bring endless joy and love unconditionally.

I'm on my 3rd doggo...all rescues.  Each time the others passed, I swore I'd never get another.  Then, I'll see some sad scared eyes looking back at me at some SPCA or rescue event and, don't you know, I have a new family member.  Not complaining, however.

This girl is sitting next to me while I type this......

IMG_1272.jpeg

• Like 4

Haven't been in the Haven since last year as we cruise with RC this year but one thing people loved in the haven restaurant was the surf and turf. Same as Cagney but with no surcharge. So it's not uncommon people ordering just lobster tails, yes more than one at dinner. Knock yourself out if you like them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

😉

Sometimes it feels that way.  Just like our kids, we cater to their food wants, take them out when they want, make sure they're warm and dry.  LOL!

But, they bring endless joy and love unconditionally.

I'm on my 3rd doggo...all rescues.  Each time the others passed, I swore I'd never get another.  Then, I'll see some sad scared eyes looking back at me at some SPCA or rescue event and, don't you know, I have a new family member.  Not complaining, however.

This girl is sitting next to me while I type this......

IMG_1272.jpeg

What sweet eyes.  Full of love.  What is her name?

I had a previous rescue.  A male black lab.  Jamie Joe.   My SIL was an apt mgr and he was loose with no tags.  No one answered the Lost notices.  He came at the right time of my life.  I had divorced and we had joint custody.  After that dog passed I needed one and Jamie appeared.  Timing is everything. 

Edited by DMH15
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DMH15 said:

What sweet eyes.  Full of love.  What is her name?

I had a previous rescue.  A male black lab.  Jamie Joe.   My SIL was an apt mgr and he was loose with no tags.  No one answered the Lost notices.  He came at the right time of my life.  I had divorced and we had joint custody.  After that dog passed I needed one and Jamie appeared.  Timing is everything. 

Thanks.  Her name is PICO!  She’s about a year old…rescued from a constantly caged and dirty puppy mill house that was raided a few months ago.  She was dirty, matted, starving when I got her.  Got her shots up to date, a spa day, spayed.  She’s a little bundle of sweetness….mini daschund/ papillon mix!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, goldmom said:

I hear what you're saying and understand your thoughts on this as they do make sense.  However, I'm the exact opposite.  LOL!  I'm an obsessive planner so I like to have everything done before I get on the ship.  Cabin requests made, reservations done.  When I step on the ship I completely relax and don't have to think about or plan anything.  Once I'm on the ship I just chill and go with the flow, no stress.

Everyone has their way of relaxing and we all do whatever works the best for us.

Enjoy!

I am the same way.  I drove my wife crazy on cruises because everything was planned.  We sailed with Spanish speaking relatives once and I "over planned."  I told the pre-cruise concierge to have a Spanish speaking butler and have the dailies delivered both in English and Spanish.  Well sure enough everything was delivered in Spanish.  Lesson learned.  It was foolish for me with dumb special requests.  How do you really know what pillows you want unless you try them. I don't even ask them to empty the fridge anymore because most times it does not get done. You have to let your cruise come and roll with the punches.  Don't even get me started with the threads about giving their butler written lists.  We never like the treats delivered each day (except for the chocolate of course) and once I tried to stop them to not waste food.  It never worked and I just ended up frustrated.  I have learned my lesson.  Less is more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@DMH15 I know right.  Out of the mouth of babes......

It wasn't a cruise, and I certainly do not look as old as all those old farts taking them, but at a school event for my then 3rd grade grandson 2-years GO, one of the kids told me I looked ancient.😬  Whereas I was swimming 2-miles a day, I was bit stunned.  Made me start focusing on my posture.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 9:57 AM, Sthrngary said:

@david_sobe I am the crazy, over planner for all of my expensive purchases in my life.  Whether a VIP access to a four day Concert event; high end coffee machine or yes cruises.  My experience that lead to this research was simply to know what you receive when you pay a premium for a product. All the cruise companies marketing team make the experience sound over the top but with further examination, you realize there is always "Fine Print".  How things really work is not quite as clear and for the money, I personally want to know. 

The more folks know about what you gain or don't from paying a premium like with the Haven, the more they can make a business decision to book or not to book.  It is not about utilizing every amenity or benefit.  It is about simply knowing what is available and leveraging what suits your needs best.  Not to know something was there and realizing it would have enhanced your cruising experience would be a shame. 

I am also the crazy over planner, and I do it because I enjoy it. I like to know all that there is available - not that I plan to take advantage of all of it, but you can't action on something you don't know about. 

Our first Haven sailing was Alaska on the Pearl. I had a spreadsheet of excursions, pre-sailing hotel, everything. I had a job I was miserable at, and spending time researching gave some something fun to think about. I made the reservations and had everything to go. 

And then I got on the ship and we had an invitation to a party that conflicted - and for the first time ever I made use of the concierge. THAT WAS LIFE CHANGING. I mean not really, but perhaps it was vacation planning style changing. Here was this magical person that just VOILA shuffled everything around - and last minute! And all those hours of carefully mapping out dining and show times no longer mattered.

So, I still do a lot of research about ports and shore excursions. I endlessly watch people's cruddy vacation videos on YouTube (my guiltiest of pleasures). I read through all the menus. I look at all the ship amenities. I arrive armed with information of my endless possibilities. But then, then I let the butler and the concierge make it all happen. And I fully expect halfway through the cruise to change my mind about something. 

I guess, it frees me up to only think about the things I want to think about and let go of the detailed logistics that may or may not all change at the drop of a hat once on board.

Ultimately we'll move to the smaller luxe lines, but my daughter is turning 8 next month and she likes the bigger ships. As she gets older and is more willing to try new foods - we'll make the switch. I like that the Haven gives us the nice mix of activities of a larger ship with the service of the Haven. 

• Like 3