Medallions Stolen

Lanz

On 8/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, Lanz said:

We received empty package from Princess.  The mailing envelope was cut and medallions gone😩.  I’m told by Princess that they contain no personal information.  Now we have to pick up at port.  

You should file an online complaint with the US Postal Service, Office of Inspector General since they have Special Agents that investigate reports of mail theft.  

https://www.uspsoig.gov/hotline

My guess is whomever stole these didn't know what they were stealing and mistook them for jewelry.  They would have been very disappointed when they eventually got a closer look. 

You never know but I doubt this is someone who would then take the sailing date information and turn this into a B&E...also very likely they no longer had your address by the time they realized it as they probably quickly repackaged the box and let it continue on its way, losing access to your address.  Still, the idea someone threw out of asking the local PD to do an extra couple of drive-by's is a good one.

On 8/27/2023 at 1:02 PM, Guardsy said:

Agreed that it is no big deal in regard to getting new medallions at the port.  As long as you confirm to them in advance, which it sounds like you have, they will even have your name on them.

On another note, before you leave on your vacation, stop at your police department and ask for some additional courtesy drive-by's while you are gone. Explain to them that someone may now know your house may be vacant during those dates.  Depending on the size of town, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Many years ago, we notified our police department of a long trip and requested they keep an eye on our home.  At the time, we gave them our travel dates and info on how they could reach us.  About a month after we returned home our County Control called us (at home) and said that a local cop had noticed that somebody was in our home (we had been home for about a month).  That was the last time we gave trip notification to our police :).

Hank

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Many years ago, we notified our police department of a long trip and requested they keep an eye on our home.  At the time, we gave them our travel dates and info on how they could reach us.  About a month after we returned home our County Control called us (at home) and said that a local cop had noticed that somebody was in our home (we had been home for about a month).  That was the last time we gave trip notification to our police :).

Hank

That worked OK when we lived in a small town years ago where they practically knew everyone. Where we live today, forget about it.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I have kind of a funny story along these lines except it's user-error, not the fault of the police.  My mother in law asked the police to keep an eye on her house while she was travelling.  One evening she e-mailed us in a panic saying that she had seen someone on her webcam poking around the front of her house/shining flashlights and insisted we contact the police ASAP to get them to go check it out.  She was unable to call herself, as she was travelling internationally.  We get a hold of the local police and long story short, the people shining the flashlights in the door and walking around her front porch were the police that she asked to show up.  So, we had a healthy serving of egg on our face after calling the cops on the cops.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That type of thing only works in Mayberry...Andy handles it personally. 

I think most of wish for that style of living but my job, when I was working, wouldn't allow for it.