Medallions Stolen

Lanz

We received empty package from Princess.  The mailing envelope was cut and medallions gone😩.  I’m told by Princess that they contain no personal information.  Now we have to pick up at port.  

1 minute ago, Lanz said:

We received empty package from Princess.  The mailing envelope was cut and medallions gone😩.  I’m told by Princess that they contain no personal information.  Now we have to pick up at port.  

That’s too bad.  Won’t do the thieves any good.

The only thing they know is your names, the ship and dates you are sailing. 

16 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s too bad.  Won’t do the thieves any good.

The only thing they know is your names, the ship and dates you are sailing. 

They also know that nobody will be at home at that address during the cruise...

Edit: Just looked at an old Medallion. It only has the beginning date of the cruise on it - not the range of dates.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lanz said:

Did the package arrive via USPS? If so you should go to your post office and register a complaint. They have investigators who will dig into it and possibly find the culprit. Most post offices have video surveillance in the sorting area and it’s a good chance they might can determine if it happened there. All mail is now photographed during sorting at the main sorting facility prior to reaching your post office and btw you can actually have the photos sent to you each day showing you what is being delivered to you that day. They will also contact you I believe after they investigate.

If it happened to a USPS package it was done by a postal worker and that’s very serious. No one else can handle mail once it’s sent. Unless of course it occurs on your porch or in your mailbox after it’s delivered. 

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Edit: Just looked at an old Medallion. It only has the beginning date of the cruise on it - not the range of dates.

Well, it’s easy to plug in the date and ship to pull info.  They probably thought it was jewelry in those little boxes. Very sad. 😞 

6 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

Did the package arrive via USPS? If so you should go to your post office and register a complaint. They have investigators who will dig into it and possibly find the culprit. Most post offices have video surveillance in the sorting area and it’s a good chance they might can determine if it happened there. All mail is now photographed during sorting at the main sorting facility prior to reaching your post office and btw you can actually have the photos sent to you each day showing you what is being delivered to you that day. They will also contact you I believe after they investigate.

If it happened to a USPS package it was done by a postal worker and that’s very serious. No one else can handle mail once it’s sent. Unless of course it occurs on your porch or in your mailbox after it’s delivered. 

Yes I did receive photos of the mail I would receive today but the Princess pkg was not included. In will definitely go to our local PO.    Tried the customer service line but got in the robo voice runaround.  We are sailing out of Vancouver.  I’ve read that it’s not an easy pick up at that port😩

11 minutes ago, Lanz said:

Yes I did receive photos of the mail I would receive today but the Princess pkg was not included…..This is odd and a perhaps a clue for the inspector general to use to help ID the culprit. 

I will definitely go to our local PO…..

Good on you. They should take the matter very seriously. Request to speak to a supervisor when you get to the counter. They should hear the specifics first hand from you vs being passed to them from the mail clerk who btw could even possibly be the one who opened it. (It’s possible but not likely). I expect they will complete an official document during your meeting to send to the inspector general.  

Edited by gottagocit

20 minutes ago, Lanz said:

Thanks for all your comments, I will definitely follow up.  I tried twice to talk to Princess their advice was to report at port

You’re welcome. I have some experience there.

One final thing that might be relevant is many many many packages (did I say many. Lol) are shipped via UPS (and Amazon) but when the arrive at the destination city they are transferred to the USPS overnight for actual delivery. A tremendous number of packages receive this treatment. It’s called the morning dump of packages from other carriers. Those are then scanned at the local post office to get placed in the proper carriers work area and they are also photographed as they are scanned in. So there’s a good chance there’s a photo or two out there showing the package and perhaps showing where it was opened or at least last place it was before it was opened. 
You can look at the delivery details of the package and see how many times it’s scanned and/or ‘dumped’ during its trip to you from Princess. Sometimes it’s a few times other times it’s a dozen or more. 
Good luck. I hope they catch whoever did this. 

Edited by gottagocit

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

An easy Google search would work. Don't they have the ship name too?

4 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Yes I did receive photos of the mail I would receive today but the Princess pkg was not included…..This is odd and a perhaps a clue for the inspector general to use to help ID the culprit. 

It's not that odd. Packages never have pictures. And anything oversized won't have them either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lanz said:

We are sailing out of Vancouver.  I’ve read that it’s not an easy pick up at that port😩

Sorry to hear about your Medallions.  Nothing Princess can do now; too late to remake and reship them.  Hope the culprit gets caught and pays the time.  I remember an news expose a while back about how thieves in LA were able to pilfer though carriers package freight cars and leave the opened packages on the side of tracks.

As a tip, Vancouver is a port you want to be late for.  Let everyone embark before you and your check-in, security, and immigration experience will be a breeze.

Agreed that it is no big deal in regard to getting new medallions at the port.  As long as you confirm to them in advance, which it sounds like you have, they will even have your name on them.

On another note, before you leave on your vacation, stop at your police department and ask for some additional courtesy drive-by's while you are gone. Explain to them that someone may now know your house may be vacant during those dates.  Depending on the size of town, you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Lanz said:

Yes I did receive photos of the mail I would receive today but the Princess pkg was not included. In will definitely go to our local PO.    Tried the customer service line but got in the robo voice runaround.  We are sailing out of Vancouver.  I’ve read that it’s not an easy pick up at that port😩

We picked up at port in Vancouver in June this year and it was fast and easy. Everything was done in about 10 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Guardsy said:

On another note, before you leave on your vacation, stop at your police department and ask for some additional courtesy drive-by's while you are gone.

Add to that having doorbell and other web-accessed exterior cameras for security and extra peace of mind.  Plus, it helps to see that your pet-sitter actually came by to the house as promised!

• Like 1

Just now, JGmf said:

Add to that having doorbell and other web-accessed exterior cameras for security and extra peace of mind.  Plus, it helps to see that your pet-sitter actually came by to the house as promised!

You beat me to it -- I was typing the exact same comment!  We have a Ring camera which is super easy to install and use.  There are many options on the market now that make monitoring your house a breeze.  Having police drive by is ok, but give me video surveillance any day 🙂 

Thanks again for the comments, glad to hear pickup at port is easy🥹.  We do have Ring and my daughter and son are house sitting.  I hope they do find the perpetrator, I know a small issue but we need to start again with…..ACCOUNTABILITY 

• Like 4

On 8/26/2023 at 8:20 PM, Lanz said:

So sorry you are dealing with this. Rest easy about the pick up at Vancouver. We just did this 2 weeks ago. Easy peasy. Took no time at all for the rep to retrieve our medallions at check in. Actually the whole check in process went very quickly!

On 8/26/2023 at 5:37 PM, Lanz said:

Thanks for all your comments, I will definitely follow up.  I tried twice to talk to Princess their advice was to report at port

I would not worry. They do not know if there are 10 people living in the house & you might be the only ones on a cruise. 

We ALWAYS pick them up at the port

8 hours ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

I really don’t like the post office.  We get other people’s mail and packages all the time.  

Fed Ex and UPS also don't know how to read addresses and match the parcels to the correct address.  Mailboxes have large numbers on them so it is really hard not to see which house gets the parcel.

• Like 1