Ravenna port to Bologna

aggiemom11

Hi!   I am trying to get information on how to get into Ravenna after my Constellation cruise ends.  Anyone know?   Is there a shuttle?   If so, what is the costs?   We plan to take the train from Ravenna to Bologna for post cruise stay, but we need to figure out how to get to Ravenna from the port.   I have read taxis are not readily available at the port.   Anyone know if that is true?  
Thanks

• Like 1

If you look on Excursions for your cruise with Celebrity, for the last day of your cruise, you might be able to book the Port to Bolonga train station or Port to Bolonga Airport and use the shuttle back to the station.

We were lucky to book to Bolonga train station and are very pleased this is offered.

If no places are left ask at reception of the ship and you might get a place then.

We will be taking Celebrity's 'shore excursion" from the ship to the Bologna train station after our Constellation cruise this September, Decent price and a 9:00 AM departure will make the morning go smooth. No need to worry about taxi availability.

Just back from a cruise out of Ravenna.

There are almost no taxis available, we were sailing with Royal Caribbean and they provided a shuttle and from talking to reception in our hotel most if not all cruise lines do.

The train from Ravenna to Bologna both ways worked well, was reliable and was cheap. 

16 hours ago, Tin can said:

Just back from a cruise out of Ravenna.

There are almost no taxis available, we were sailing with Royal Caribbean and they provided a shuttle and from talking to reception in our hotel most if not all cruise lines do.

The train from Ravenna to Bologna both ways worked well, was reliable and was cheap. 

I’ll be docking in Ravenna with RCI next year - it’s not showing on the excursions page yet - can you remember roughly how much the shuttle to Ravenna station was? Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Bucket List Ticked said:

I’ll be docking in Ravenna with RCI next year - it’s not showing on the excursions page yet - can you remember roughly how much the shuttle to Ravenna station was? Thanks. 

Yes it was $10 each way.

We just turned up at the shuttle point going and they added our room number and we were charged to our room.

The shuttle back to Ravenna does not show up before hand. You scan a QR code on board and book the time you want and again it is charged to your room.

People on our FB group got really stressed with the transfers from Venice or Bologna and then how to get to the port but it was really easy and well organised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Tin can said:

Yes it was $10 each way.

We just turned up at the shuttle point going and they added our room number and we were charged to our room.

The shuttle back to Ravenna does not show up before hand. You scan a QR code on board and book the time you want and again it is charged to your room.

People on our FB group got really stressed with the transfers from Venice or Bologna and then how to get to the port but it was really easy and well organised.

That’s really helpful - thank you! 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:14 AM, Tin can said:

Yes it was $10 each way.

Agreed on the easy and organized part.  TBH the ship had it all down to a science whereas beforehand it was rather difficult to sort out.   Especially if you wanted transfers to different places.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Agreed on the easy and organized part.  TBH the ship had it all down to a science whereas beforehand it was rather difficult to sort out.   Especially if you wanted transfers to different places.

You're right, I couldn't find out any information about the shuttle to/from Ravenna before hand from customer services. It was only from here and FB groups that I knew there was one and then when I arrived there was Royal representatives everywhere.

I don't know why this wasn't conveyed or promoted as I'm sure a lack of information of the logistics of travelling from either Bologna or Venice to the port put a lot of people off booking. 

• Like 2

@aggiemom11 We sailed return out of Ravenna on Connie this past June and also went to Bologna for a visit post cruise.  Yes, taxis seemed limited.  (The local bus stop is also within reasonable walking distance too but don't think it's a great option with a lot of luggage.)

We ended up doing the Celebrity shuttle for $14.95 to Ravenna station.  See below pamplet for the post cruise transfer options.  There were a few time slots but we took the latest at 9am because we weren't sure when our hotel in Bologna would let us in our room.  After you collect your luggage, the coach bus is fairly close to the embarkation/disembarkation building/tent.  

The trip is about 10-15mins and was about half full.  Note that the shuttle takes you to a parking lot behind the train station and you will need to walk a block to get to the pedestrian underpass that leads you to the platforms and the actual station itself.  The commuter trains to Bologna cost about 7-8E and runs hourly IIRC.  Shoud be no problem getting a seat but there didn't seem to be a lot of great options for the luggage.  We ended up monopolizing a four seater and placing our luggage in the leg area.  I saw a couple near us put their luggage in the aisle.  It kind of blocked the aisle a bit but also rolled away a few times because they were falling asleep on the ride.  

Side note:  I'm a bit miffed that they bumped up the transfer from $9.95 (as stated in the daily) to $14.95 midcruise per the pamphlet.  I don't know if they purposely increase the price mid-cruise or they just forgot to make the change in the daily.  You book at guest relations, not the shore excursion desk who didn't know what we were talking about (contrary to the info in the pamphlet).  When we originally asked about it, guest relations said it was $9.95.  When the pamphlet came out, they said that was an error, the correct price is $14.95 but that they would credit us $5 (and of course credit didn't show up in our folio 🙄). 

PXL_20230830_175424951a.jpg

Edited by Milhouse
added info on where to get tix
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

You're right, I couldn't find out any information about the shuttle to/from Ravenna before hand from customer services. It was only from here and FB groups that I knew there was one and then when I arrived there was Royal representatives everywhere.

I don't know why this wasn't conveyed or promoted as I'm sure a lack of information of the logistics of travelling from either Bologna or Venice to the port put a lot of people off booking. 

I found this even worse for our cruise on Celebrity.  There was only one vendor rep at each sides of the station wearing a vest and lanyard.  I was lucky (based on CC info) that I should be looking for someone.  Other cruisers were curiously/randomly going up to a rep after seeing other people going up to her.  

16 hours ago, Tin can said:

Thankfully I’m sailing out of Athens so only need to sort out ship to Ravenna abut it’s good to know the ship do shuttles both way because, as you say, they don’t seem to advertise it.