Crystal is alive and kicking article in Seatrade Cruise News 28 August 2023

Stickman1990

Crystal is alive and kicking

An interesting article in a recent Seatrade News 

“Does this level of investment in older tonnage make sense in the highly competitive luxury market where newbuilds are arriving at a rate of knots?

Seatrade Cruise News spoke to both A&K Travel Group’s executive chairman Manfredi Lefebvre and CEO Cristina Levis onboard Crystal Symphony during her shakedown cruise in the Adriatic and posed this question, along with several others”

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations/crystal-alive-and-kicking

• Like 4

Just made a deposit for a 9/24 sailing.  Kinda nervous about it.  We had substantial losses from the Gentling demise and had a credit to use.  The saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". Hope Crystal is here to stay.  Otherwise, another go round with the insurance company which was NOT a good experience and is still not completed.  What does anyone else think?  Was I foolish to take the plunge?

Your cruise next September is within the 520+/- day credit card dispute window determined by the major credit card issuers. As many of us discovered, any advance deposits for any service/travel/product/etc. older than 520+/-days in advance will not be protected by your credit card issuer. You should be financially protected for a scheduled September 2024 cruise.

• Like 3

100% agree with Rob...  There's always some risk to buying anything I guess, technically, but booking any cruise reservation within your credit card issuer's dispute window allows you to do do a chargeback in the event the cruise line goes under.  Credit card issuers keep large reserves for companies that supply services in the future, primarily for this contingency.

Vince

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryndam said:

Your cruise next September is within the 520+/- day credit card dispute window determined by the major credit card issuers. As many of us discovered, any advance deposits for any service/travel/product/etc. older than 520+/-days in advance will not be protected by your credit card issuer. You should be financially protected for a scheduled September 2024 cruise.

Just made a deposit for a 9/24 sailing.  Kinda nervous about it.  We had substantial losses from the Gentling demise and had a credit to use.  The saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". Hope Crystal is here to stay.  Otherwise, another go round with the insurance company which was NOT a good experience and is still not completed.  What does anyone else think?  Was I foolish to take the plunge?

That is all well and good but not exactly helping with the trepidation.  I was tweaking around the internet and there was some talk about knowing Crystal was not paying cancellations promptly, etc. prior to bankruptcy.  I did not know about that so I'm concerned I may not know if the new launch, is less than successful. I do not want to be left holding the bag again.  The hassle of dealing with credit card and insurance companies  while sitting at home instead of enjoying the cruise I had planned and was looking forward to!   We were on the last Bahamas sailing that ended in Bimini and had that additional bit of insurance to deal with also with changed flights and extra hotel rooms needed, etc.  Two affected sailings.   Guess I am having a bit of buyers remorse.  Hoping for the best though.

12 minutes ago, reenief said:

That is all well and good but not exactly helping with the trepidation.  I was tweaking around the internet and there was some talk about knowing Crystal was not paying cancellations promptly, etc. prior to bankruptcy.  I did not know about that so I'm concerned I may not know if the new launch, is less than successful. I do not want to be left holding the bag again.  The hassle of dealing with credit card and insurance companies  while sitting at home instead of enjoying the cruise I had planned and was looking forward to!   We were on the last Bahamas sailing that ended in Bimini and had that additional bit of insurance to deal with also with changed flights and extra hotel rooms needed, etc.  Two affected sailings.   Guess I am having a bit of buyers remorse.  Hoping for the best though.

I understand the PTSD, but I think most of us have credit cards with companies that have a pretty easy dispute process.  I have no hesitation in booking anything within the dispute window, because the level of effort to get a reversal is extremely low.  

That said, starting March of 2020 I stopped booking anything from any travel supplier anywhere that was outside the dispute window, so I'm not saying to throw all caution to the wind.  Just relating what I'm very comfortable booking.  YMMV.

Vince

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryndam said:

As many of us discovered, any advance deposits for any service/travel/product/etc. older than 520+/-days in advance will not be protected by your credit card issuer.

While that was my experience with Visa and Mastercard who enforced a time limit it was not the case with American Express who were happy to go back further on merchant claims 

My preference is to use Amex whenever possible for cruise bookings 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

If a deposit is placed prior to the 520-day window, but the final balance is paid after that date, would only the deposit be lost, while the final payment would be protected?

Normally yes -- the clock usually runs on each charge independently.  That said. each card issuer can interpret some of the brand guidelines with different specifics, so it doesn't hurt to confirm that with your bank/issuer just to be safe.

Vince

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I understand the PTSD, but I think most of us have credit cards with companies that have a pretty easy dispute process.  I have no hesitation in booking anything within the dispute window, because the level of effort to get a reversal is extremely low.  

That said, starting March of 2020 I stopped booking anything from any travel supplier anywhere that was outside the dispute window, so I'm not saying to throw all caution to the wind.  Just relating what I'm very comfortable booking.  YMMV.

Vince

BTW it was not a credit card problem.  It was travel insurance purchased through my TA who recommended I purchase at a Hefty price to insure my vouchers (currently attached to a 5/2022 sailing) that were originally issued when I was issued them  for a 3/2020 cruise cancelation.  Long story in-between but a 5/2022 cruise was cancelled due to bankruptsy.  The insurance company would NOT reimburse me unless I proved I did not receive a cash back....even though the initial payment was made in 10/2019...2.5 years prior..  Kinda like "we will pay you if you go to moon and bring fairy dust back and sprinkle it around."   Try and find someone on the end of a CC company phone who will help with a system that has deleted that info.  Along with an insurance company who would not address my concerns directly....only through route texts and call centers.  A nightmare.  I know this is a highly unusual situation but it definitely happened.  I am still in the midst of getting a payment..  

I sympathize with all of this concern, but I wonder why people feel that they have to book cruises, with payments, so far in advance? Oftentimes years away. This is weird to me, because I always book late and I can always get a cabin. Maybe it's not the exact cabin I want, but ok. Maybe I miss out on getting restaurant reservations at the particular times I want, but I never lose money with bankruptcies or Covid. And I don't have to stress about it.

I'm honestly not being critical, just wondering. This has always been a puzzlement to me. Especially when Crystal went belly up and some people had paid in full for many cruises, years in advance.

Admittedly, I don't cruise as much as people on this board so I am probably missing something. For a lot of family and community reasons, I just can't plan anything that far in ahead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

I sympathize with all of this concern, but I wonder why people feel that they have to book cruises, with payments, so far in advance? Oftentimes years away. This is weird to me, because I always book late and I can always get a cabin. Maybe it's not the exact cabin I want, but ok. Maybe I miss out on getting restaurant reservations at the particular times I want, but I never lose money with bankruptcies or Covid. And I don't have to stress about it.

I'm honestly not being critical, just wondering. This has always been a puzzlement to me. Especially when Crystal went belly up and some people had paid in full for many cruises, years in advance.

Admittedly, I don't cruise as much as people on this board so I am probably missing something. For a lot of family and community reasons, I just can't plan anything that far in ahead.

I want to still book early (25% deposit) because the category and location of suite is important to me.

Years ago we wouldn't book so early but that is not the case here days. In fact, in our very early years of cruising we had some situations booking months in advance. Back then category and location was less important and probably lower price the driver.

I did get burned. Thankfully for the Incentive Program.

The adjustments I made are the Credit Card I use, and should I move money from one booking to another to keep good records of the original card used although by going with one Credit Card company for booking cruises that should address this and let's say I paid in full for a cruise before penalties kicked in and we found the need to cancel it rather than move all the money over to another booking I might look at what options are available not to get hit with the cruise line administrative fee while having the bulk of the money returned to my Credit Card. So far we haven't had that situation.

The good news is at the present time other than for a booking that involves a cruise of a long length for most cruises you have 120 days to make final payment whereas with old Crystal payment was earlier plus there was the early payment discount. 

Keith

10 hours ago, reenief said:

Yes.  PTSD...I'll just have to have good hopes.  We will be on the 1/5/24 Carribean on Serenity so hopefully that will alleviate bad vibes..  I am unfamiliar with the acronym (if it is one) YMMV?  

Sorry for the shorthand…. YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, which is a common American expression based on marketing disclaimers that conveys that you might have a different experience than indicated.

Vince

13 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

I sympathize with all of this concern, but I wonder why people feel that they have to book cruises, with payments, so far in advance?

1. Most important: selection of cabin location and category

2. Signing up for excursions

3. Specialty restaurant reservations

4. More time to enjoy the anticipation (perhaps more important than #1 above)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

And another Seatrade article published today.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/food-and-beverage/taste-and-toast-crystal-symphony

Rob

(My reaction from reading about the dessert summit...)  Now if they would just ball up the current Waterside breakfast menu and start over, that would be the next good start.  I'm all for changing trends and such, and there are a few favorites I have on it, but overall it's the worst breakfast menu Crystal has had in it's history -- even when compared with the early years when the food overall wasn't such a feature.  It's not very large to begin with, which in itself would be fine, but when paired with the handful of items that are either ill-conceived or consistently prepared poorly, that's a bad combo.

Vince

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Sorry for the shorthand…. YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, which is a common American expression based on marketing disclaimers that conveys that you might have a different experience than indicated.

Vince

Yesterday, I was remiss by not answering reenief re YMMV. I can proudly report it was Vince who taught ME this term, several years ago on the Crystal boards! I use it all the time now. I don’t know how I lived without it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

(My reaction from reading about the dessert summit...)  Now if they would just ball up the current Waterside breakfast menu and start over, that would be the next good start.  I'm all for changing trends and such, and there are a few favorites I have on it, but overall it's the worst breakfast menu Crystal has had in it's history -- even when compared with the early years when the food overall wasn't such a feature.  It's not very large to begin with, which in itself would be fine, but when paired with the handful of items that are either ill-conceived or consistently prepared poorly, that's a bad combo.

Vince

Eggs Benny? Get 'chur sauce on the side! 😁

• Haha 1