New Years dinner upcharge, is this this worth it or is it another money grab?

peterde

I am booked on the Reflection over New Years. I noticed they just added a New Years dinner at Murano’s for 150.00 upcharge per person plus gratuities. With all that has been going on with Celebrity with their “test programs” cuts and surcharges, this is making me highly suspicious. A cold water lobster is nice, but at over 350.00 for a couple I find the cost, (especially if one chooses the halibut instead) is inflated. I have enjoyed many a 5 star meals that cost me far less, including alcohol. If it includes a midnight “party” I might be inclined, but nothing is mentioned, not even a toast. Am I missing something here? 

IMG_2075.png

MURANEWYRS.pdf

• Haha 1

To be hones most New Year's Eve dinners on Land as well as at Sea are an opportunity to charge more.     

Money Grab may be a harsh description and value is based on both demand and value.  Demand is always high both on land and sea for New Year's Eve.    It looks like a beautiful menu and is in the range of things like Chef B's menu with wine pairing.     If interested I would book early as I'm sure it will sell out quickly.  

• Like 3

The only thing is that it doesn’t include a wine pairing, I guess I didn’t make that clear. I think as of now the other venues are at regular upcharge. I’m sorry to be so cynical but the 2.00 cookie grab along with other things has left me jaded. 

Edited by peterde

This looks like the 5 senses menu from Murano's. We were on for NYE and they also had the regular menu at a higher price.  The only difference in the NYE and every day menu was a different preparation of 2 appetizers and 2 entrees. We passed.

• Like 1

We puld continue to pass on these type of events..

Like going out on any holiday....involves higher prices, more crowded, more seatings,  and less attentive service.  Why not try another venue..?

I was on the Equinox over New Years. It was chic night and there was a deck party with a countdown at midnight, it wasn’t exclusive to what was offered in the specialty restaurants. I personally wouldn’t pay 3x the price for a holiday offering with a couple more dishes, it’s still the same restaurant. But of course it’s open to everyone’s interpretation of how to make something special. 

• Like 2