TK Grill reservations not available

kahuna21

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

It just shows that 'you can't please all the people......'   is very true.  Even so, to properly use the chefs already on the ships would be not only less expensive for SB, but would I feel sure help with staff morale, which affects us all.

I am right there with you Lincslady. I have previously on said on this forum that SB employ many excellent chefs at no doubt high cost and then dictate what they cook! Corporate madness! Use their creativeness and expertise and give them the flexibility which we have enjoyed on occasions when the chef's have "rebelled" (when no one is looking).

Forget TKG - never saw anything special about it and have not used it for many years. Do not seek to replace to with another brand - do not even seek to create an Asian, Italian, Greek etc venue - you will never make everyone happy with that, but use the expertise already on board and create "The Chef" where the excellence of the on board chef's can be demonstrated and the menu can vary according to location and local produce.

Sorry - just woken up from a dream!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pipsqueaks said:

Whichever way it goes, I hope Seabourn takes the opportunity to use the outside space at the back of TKG on Encore and Ovation.  What a waste of space all these years.

I have heard that Thomas Keller would not allow his food to be served outdoors and it has always struck me as ridiculous and wrong headed as we are talking about a restaurant on a cruise ship---with a lovely outdoor space available!  So yes!  Please Seabourn--have your own unbranded restaurant in the Keller Grill space and USE your outdoor space!  

• Like 6

If  the Chefs cooked what they were best at, it would probably be Asian/Indian meals quite frequently!  Yes, it would be lovely to open up the outdoor space behind the Grill.  I believe it was said ages ago that TK would not allow his food to be served outdoors, which I for one thought was a bit off.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I have heard that Thomas Keller would not allow his food to be served outdoors and it has always struck me as ridiculous and wrong headed as we are talking about a restaurant on a cruise ship---with a lovely outdoor space available!  So yes!  Please Seabourn--have your own unbranded restaurant in the Keller Grill space and USE your outdoor space!  

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

If  the Chefs cooked what they were best at, it would probably be Asian/Indian meals quite frequently!  Yes, it would be lovely to open up the outdoor space behind the Grill.  I believe it was said ages ago that TK would not allow his food to be served outdoors, which I for one thought was a bit off.

Did/does TK have different standards and requirements for the Grill and for the TK nights at the Colonnade?  We have eaten outside during the TK-special nights at the Colonnade.  However, we understand that Encore/Ovation do not have the "required TK-approved" fryer and therefore cannot serve TK fried chicken.  It would appear that some requirements apply to the Colonnade, but perhaps not all.

As a side note, we enjoy the TK nights in the Colonnade, but have not had any really good dinners in the Grill.

Lola, many chefs from Asia/India can cook other cuisines very well, maybe even better than they can cook their "native" dishes.

19 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Did/does TK have different standards and requirements for the Grill and for the TK nights at the Colonnade?  We have eaten outside during the TK-special nights at the Colonnade.  However, we understand that Encore/Ovation do not have the "required TK-approved" fryer and therefore cannot serve TK fried chicken.  It would appear that some requirements apply to the Colonnade, but perhaps not all.

As a side note, we enjoy the TK nights in the Colonnade, but have not had any really good dinners in the Grill.

Lola, many chefs from Asia/India can cook other cuisines very well, maybe even better than they can cook their "native" dishes.

Yes, there appears to be a different standard. For the TK Grill, no outside dining allowed.  We've heard people ask the waiters and the answer is that Thomas Keller stipulated that all dining at the grill is to be indoors.  Evidently, he does not have the same control over where people dine at the Colonnade.  

At risk of being excommunicated  I cancelled our second TK dinner .... totally unimpressed with the first one.

Indian food? I sailed on ships with Indian crews and European Officers.

The Indian crew had an Indian cook who cooked pukkah Indian food which was excellent. 
The Officers had a Goanese cook who cooked Indian food that was heavily tempered down because they were told to cook in that style irrespective of what the Europeans wanted. Pretty dire at times.

You can have the best  chef in the world but when a bean counter intervenes ......

I too would like to see something different from the TKG.  I can always get a steak in the dining room.  Since people have so many ideas, perhaps a revolving specialty restaurant.  Asian - then Indian - then Italian - then French, etc. etc.  Perhaps one reservation per week (pre-booked), and then you can pick what cuisine you like.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes, I had thought of that - as long as it is not too complicated to do the changes between them.  Or maybe 3 days of Indian or Asian, then 3 of something European.

Yes - the logistics of 3 nights would make it easier on Seabourn.  

After years of saying how much pfaff we thought TK was/is and having our dining options reduced on a cruise as we avoided its mediocrity, the direction of this thread is bringing much joy.

Our preference has always been to showcase amazing crew. 

2 votes for Asian/French fusion