Excursion Questions

bundtkate

We are admittedly pretty far out from our HAL Alaska cruise in June 2024, but excursions have recently opened up and I was curious if additional excursion times will open up closer to sailing. We want to do the White Pass Railway luxury experience excursion and currently the only option is at 9am even though we're in Skagway until 7pm. We'd prefer to do a separate excursion in the morning and the train ride later in the day, if it's an option, but I also suspect the slots for the luxury car fill up quickly so I'd hate to miss our opportunity if what we see now is all we get.

Additionally, does anyone know if HAL will offer the Lumberjack Show as a standalone excursion at some point? Currently, the only two options include a meal in addition and we'd prefer to save that money and eat on the ship. I enjoy trying local cuisine while cruising, but in this case there are just other things we'd rather spend our excursion budget on.

Finally, I'm curious if excursions ever go on sale. We have have the most experience with RCCL and while I kind of hate the dynamic pricing model because it means I end up having to stalk the cruise planner in case a cheaper price pops up, it's obviously nice to get something for cheaper. Especially with the excursion prices in Alaska, even 10% off could help ease the budget burden so I want to make sure I keep an eye out if there's a chance of a sale (and save my time if there's not).

I've never seen shore excursion prices on HAL drop. I have seen additional departures of excursions offered, but if you want to take the train in Skagway, then I would book it now. Especially so if you want the luxury car.
If you want to see the Lumberjack Show, you can do that on your own. It's not far from the docks (assuming no mobility difficulties), and tickets can be purchased there. I don't know if they can be purchased in advance on-line. 

• Like 3

Never seen discounts. 

The only extra sections typically added are the easier excursions that are mostly bus tours. Many sights have capacities that can't be exceeded.

Book now what are most important to you. If you need to wait for financial reasons, do that  on the less unique excursions.

Pretty decent experience w/HAL in AK and can say I've never seen excursions go on sale. Doesn't mean they won't, but haven't seen it.

Aligned w/ @RuthC that the train sells out quickly, so it would be best to book it when you see availability. We missed out on the luxury tickets but still thoroughly enjoyed the train. And as Ruth said, you can do the lumberjack show on your own. I agree that you can safe $$ on that by eating onboard; just buy tickets at the port.

You might consider using AARP gift cards to pay for your excursions as that will get you a 10% discount. 

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Our experience mirrors @RuthC

They may add capacity, but the excursion price doesn't go down. Realize that the Alaska season is a well oiled machine. Supply and demand are balanced.

I hate to say it, but if you are looking for bargains, it's probably sweatshirts in September and not excursions.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

We're on a 14 day Alaska cruise next May 26, so not much before yours. There are 2 stops in Skagway. 

If this is the tour you are after, then I can tell you thatScreenshot_20230830_194717_Brave.thumb.jpg.6bcbab16e865349282e9add3740bfba4.jpg on our sailing that the first date is sold out, and the second has 3 spots left...first date we are in port until 8 pm and second one is 9 pm. 

We've done many Alaska cruises.  For the White Pass & Yukon railway, book the type of trip that you want as soon as it becomes available.

For the Lumberjack show, we booked it onboard the Noordam this past July as an event only.  It actually was a pretty cool show and worth seeing.

In Skagway, I highly recommend the sled dog and musher camp excursion.  We booked it independently both in 2022 and 2023 and it fills fast.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your help, y'all! To be abundantly clear, the cost really isn't an issue as we very much did budget with the high cost of Alaska excursions in mind, but obviously I don't want to pay more than I have to. In many ways, I'm happy they don't go on sale because then I can just buy a thing and be done. I love a deal as much as anyone but with RCCL, I'm constantly checking prices to see if I have to cancel and rebook and it's defs a bit of a chore.

I need give a special thanks to @Haljo1935. I was initially thinking the AARP suggestion would be of no help because I'm 36 and figured I'm not allowed into that club just yet, but I Googled it and it turns out that you can actually join AARP at any age? You can also apparently get $50+ OBC from HAL (sometimes?) so I can basically pay $12 to (maybe?) get $50. Nice! Anyway, needless to say I am both surprised and excited. Thanks, friend!

I remain a bit conflicted about the train. I think I'd pass on the luxury car if the only option is 9am. I will make zero use of the drinks and snacks that early, but I'm not sure if I book the 9am regular car or hang tight hoping later departures open up, which would allow us to do something extra in the AM. We have plenty of time in Skagway for two excursions, but for whatever reason pretty much every excursion ever starts at 8am or 9am? I checked direct with White Pass and they do sell regular tickets online that leave throughout the day, but no luxury car at all and only 2023 is open so I guess I can't be totally sure that will stay true next year. I'm kind of leaning booking the regular car now just in case, but continuing to check for later times periodically. Will that work? Can you see alternative times for an excursion you've already booked on HAL's website? Any penalty for canceling and rebooking later?

Finally, thanks for the Lumberjack show tips! I've heard good things so I wanted to go, but the combo excursions didn't feel worth it. Particularly pleased to hear booking direct is possible as there's a hiking excrusion with beers at the end I'm particularly keen on and this will let me do both. Hooray!

Thanks again, y'all! I've cruised plenty, but it's really whacky how these small differences between lines can make you feel really out of your element. I very much appreciate the feedback and advice. 💜

• Thanks 1

I have a different excursion question.  We are on Rotterdam in two weeks and are on a waitlist for biking Oslo. Are we waiting for a spot to open or will they add another tour if enough sign up?  Anyone willing to give us odds on likelihood we will get this?  

9 hours ago, badtwin said:

I have a different excursion question.  We are on Rotterdam in two weeks and are on a waitlist for biking Oslo. Are we waiting for a spot to open or will they add another tour if enough sign up?  Anyone willing to give us odds on likelihood we will get this?  

Keep checking the list.  If you are waitlisted for the first version, let’s say 9 am, and they open a second version at 10 you will not automatically be on that waitlist.   Usually I will call 4 days before the cruise also, 4 days because that is the last day to buy pre-cruise and if that failed I go to the shore excursions desk once onboard.  The shore excursions manager onboard is the ultimate authority.  Of course in Oslo you will find many independent options too, check your roll call and the travel guides  

Edited by Mary229

The only times I’ve seen reduced prices on shorex is when HAL offers it as part of a promotion when you book the cruise, usually in Jan/Feb.  But I don’t think they’ve had that promo since Covid, especially now that they offer HIA with a shorex component. And, to be honest, the reduced shorex were never the popular tours.  I agree with the others, book what you want now to make sure you get what you want.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise tour.  In skagway we were originally scheduled to be in port from 7am - 3 pm, but with demand for the train, we were in port an additional 6 hours, until 9pm.  Didn't know until night before.  So I am assuming that there was plenty of people that was on a wait list and they worked it out to add more times.  I wouldn't count on it, so if you want to do something in particular, book it when available as they fill up fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:26 PM, bundtkate said:

We are admittedly pretty far out from our HAL Alaska cruise in June 2024, but excursions have recently opened up and I was curious if additional excursion times will open up closer to sailing. We want to do the White Pass Railway luxury experience excursion and currently the only option is at 9am even though we're in Skagway until 7pm. We'd prefer to do a separate excursion in the morning and the train ride later in the day, if it's an option, but I also suspect the slots for the luxury car fill up quickly so I'd hate to miss our opportunity if what we see now is all we get.

Additionally, does anyone know if HAL will offer the Lumberjack Show as a standalone excursion at some point? Currently, the only two options include a meal in addition and we'd prefer to save that money and eat on the ship. I enjoy trying local cuisine while cruising, but in this case there are just other things we'd rather spend our excursion budget on.

Finally, I'm curious if excursions ever go on sale. We have have the most experience with RCCL and while I kind of hate the dynamic pricing model because it means I end up having to stalk the cruise planner in case a cheaper price pops up, it's obviously nice to get something for cheaper. Especially with the excursion prices in Alaska, even 10% off could help ease the budget burden so I want to make sure I keep an eye out if there's a chance of a sale (and save my time if there's not).

@bundtkate

We have sailed Alaska 3 times and never seen excursions discounted. The best suggestion is the AARP gift card at 10% off. You can use the gift card as your payment online pre-cruise. 

The Lumberjack show is literally a stones throw from the pier. Easily done on your own and save money by doing so.

The White Pass , Lake Bennett  and Yukon experience is our favorite and worth every penny. The best scenery, in my opinion is between Carcross and Fraser. The last car is the best because you can step out on the back platform ..think "aft balcony". Amazing experience, especially if the weather is nice. but it is a full day affair. 

The best HAL Alaska  excursions sell out fast, never too early. Be sure to read the reviews (most recent).