New to HAL. Menu questions

brockmom

Most reviews I see are 3 course dinners. Most UTube the same,

Hubby wants to know….can you order 4 courses….

soup/ salad/ main/ dessert with out an extra charge?

salad / 2 entrees and dessert ?

I am sure HAL is similar to Celebrity, and they pretty much let you order

whatever you would like and will eat.

thank you !

Previous cruise they had no problem with me ordering multiple appetizers for my meal.

Some cruise lines are starting to place a limit and add a surcharge if you order multiple ones but that is because people are going around ordering multiple meals then just eating a few bites from each. 

In the MDR you will have no problem ordering multiple starters.  There are also times when we might order a main as a starter (we usually ask the waiter if he/she can get a smaller portion).  We sometimes do this if there is an interesting main pasta dish and we also want to have a different main as our real main course.

Which makes no sense is the rule that has existed in the Pinnacle Grill (which is being changed) where you will be charged an extra $7 + 18%, if you order two starters (such as soup and a salad).  IMHO, the extra charges in the PG rank among the most bone headed policies we have ever seen on any cruise line.  Apparently, HAL did finally get the message and is soon eliminating that ridiculous nickel/diming fee.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Which makes no sense is the rule that has existed in the Pinnacle Grill (which is being changed) where you will be charged an extra $7 + 18%, if you order two starters (such as soup and a salad).  IMHO, the extra charges in the PG rank among the most bone headed policies we have ever seen on any cruise line.  Apparently, HAL did finally get the message and is soon eliminating that ridiculous nickel/diming fee.

This is outdated now.  No longer in place.  PG pricing was amended and there is no charge for a 2nd appetizer now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

This is outdated now.  No longer in place.  PG pricing was amended and there is no charge for a 2nd appetizer now.

In the interests of full disclosure what HAL did was increase the price of the PG by $7 (to $46) and eliminate the $7 "add on" charge.  So instead of having a choice to pay extra for 2 starters, everyone will pay extra!   I do think that makes sense (add-ons are bush league) but we are now talking about $46 per person (over what you pay to be on the cruise).  I have never had a meal in the PG that we think is worth $46 per person (which becomes $54.28 with the added 18%) given folks have already paid for food (in the cruise fare) and also paid tips (crew appreciation???) on a daily basis.  

Hank

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

In the interests of full disclosure what HAL did was increase the price of the PG by $7 (to $46) and eliminate the $7 "add on" charge.  So instead of having a choice to pay extra for 2 starters, everyone will pay extra!   I do think that makes sense (add-ons are bush league) but we are now talking about $46 per person (over what you pay to be on the cruise).  I have never had a meal in the PG that we think is worth $46 per person (which becomes $54.28 with the added 18%) given folks have already paid for food (in the cruise fare) and also paid tips (crew appreciation???) on a daily basis.  

Hank

I'd have to disagree. Even here, in a rural, touristy area, we're paying more than that in very mid -range restaurants. I would rate the PG above these places and worth the surcharge.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kazu said:

When did this take place? The PG menu in my Navigator for my cruise next year is still listing the fee. Do you know if someone posted an updated menu I could take a look at? 

5 minutes ago, Linaeve said:

When did this take place? The PG menu in my Navigator for my cruise next year is still listing the fee. Do you know if someone posted an updated menu I could take a look at? 

My memory can be short but I believe it was about 2 months ago?  There was a thread on the HAL boards with the pricing and changes.

I believe the menu stayed the same for the Pinnacle minus the surcharge.  It was to take effect in September, I believe.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

My memory can be short but I believe it was about 2 months ago?  There was a thread on the HAL boards with the pricing and changes.

I believe the menu stayed the same for the Pinnacle minus the surcharge.  It was to take effect in September, I believe.  

Thanks! I didn't see it when searching but I'll try again. I appreciate the info and your response! 🙂 

18 minutes ago, Linaeve said:

Thanks! I didn't see it when searching but I'll try again. I appreciate the info and your response! 🙂 

I found the thread - 

As usual my memory failed me.  It was just only a month ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have never had a meal in the PG that we think is worth $46 per person (which becomes $54.28 with the added 18%) given folks have already paid for food (in the cruise fare) and also paid tips (crew appreciation???) on a daily basis.  

I don't think I could find a steak dinner anywhere in our area for under $100pp including tip that included 3 courses, even in a fair-to-middlin' restaurant.

A three course meal at one of popular mid-level steakhouses here would cost between $60-120 (depending on your main choice), not including beverages or gratuity. If you ordered multiple of any of the courses, you could easily increase that by 50%. The Pinnacle grill is somewhere above fair-to-middlin', and somewhere below the top end steakhouses here.

Of course to match value-for-value, you would need to add the built-in cost from your cruise fare ($10-$15 per meal), but even then the Pinnacle still is a reasonable cost.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kazu said:

5* can get their PG for free so they have no worry about being charged extra.

And 3, 4* & 5* (if 5* dine more than the free dinner allowance) get discounts - and a discount on the total price is cheaper than having the surcharge added at full price.

You have been on enough HAL cruises that I doubt you would ever have to pay full price for your PG dinner so methinks you complain for naught.  Even at full price, I can’t buy a steak dinner here for that in a decent restaurant.

If I might ask since we've been gone for a while, but are approaching 5* (80 points to go). What does the term "free surcharge only" mean?

Two complimentary dinners in your choice of Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind or Canaletto (free surcharge only)

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask since we've been gone for a while, but are approaching 5* (80 points to go). What does the term "free surcharge only" mean?

Two complimentary dinners in your choice of Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind or Canaletto (free surcharge only)

You pay for any upcharge items - like caviar.

21 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You pay for any upcharge items - like caviar.

Cool! That works. We just booked an 18-day cruise and have our sights on a 24-day cruise in a VS, so it won't be long before we hit that next level and was just curious.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Cool! That works. We just booked an 18-day cruise and have our sites on a 24-day cruise in a VS, so it won't be long before we hit that next level and was just curious.

Exactly as Cruise Suzy said.  Meal is free but anything with an extra charge is not.

Be sure to remind the PG manager that you are 5*.

• Like 1