For the love of money please

njkate

Please if your tushy is so special you need tushy wipes please DO NOT flush them even if they say flushable

Currently on Jewel with a toilet issue every day, per NCL the line keeps clogging due to someone flushing tushy wipes!!!  Real pain to have to keep going to a common toilet as the one on our cabin isn’t flushing 

Someone on my roll call said the other day she saw someone come back with a package of Northern that fluffy tp also a no no they should have confiscated until cruise end

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, njkate said:

Someone on my roll call said the other day she saw someone come back with a package of Northern that fluffy tp also a no no they should have confiscated until cruise end

Sorry, but the use of "fluffy" toilet paper being a cause of toilet clogs, and being prohibited on cruise ships is an urban myth, and I speak as someone who spent many an hour unclogging toilets on NCL ships.  In 46 years as a marine engineer, I've never seen a vacuum toilet clog caused by any particular type of toilet paper.  You are correct that "wipes" should not be flushed.  People commonly mistake a cruise ship's vacuum toilet system with a small boat's toilet system, which does require a special type of toilet tissue.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sorry, but the use of "fluffy" toilet paper being a cause of toilet clogs, and being prohibited on cruise ships is an urban myth, and I speak as someone who spent many an hour unclogging toilets on NCL ships.  In 46 years as a marine engineer, I've never seen a vacuum toilet clog caused by any particular type of toilet paper.  You are correct that "wipes" should not be flushed.  People commonly mistake a cruise ship's vacuum toilet system with a small boat's toilet system, which does require a special type of toilet tissue.

Ok then why is my toilet not functioning? It’s fixed for a few hours and then  we are on rinse and repeat

Guess it is those wipes, lived years without them now everyone needs them

Edited by njkate

I use wipes all the time HOWEVER, when I cruise, I also use https://www.amazon.com/Scensibles-Personal-Disposal-Purse-Packs/dp/B0060ONNL8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2RCLYTZ4OBK3D&keywords=scensibles+personal+care&qid=1693703785&sprefix=senstcibles%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-3

There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to use the bathroom in your cabin.  these resolve the problem without creating a problem for you or any others on the same line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, njkate said:

Ok then why is my toilet not functioning? It’s fixed for a few hours and then  we are on rinse and repeat

Guess it is those wipes, lived years without them now everyone needs them

First off, there is a difference in how toilet paper and "wipes" are manufactured, that makes one acceptable to vacuum toilet systems, and one not.  Toilet paper, and facial tissues, are made of "pressed" paper fibers that result in the paper dissolving when wetted.  "Wipes" are designed to have "wet strength", and so use "woven" paper fibers (and in many cases, plastic fibers woven in), so that when wetted, they do not fall apart.  This failure to dissolve causes the problems not only in vacuum toilet systems on ships, but as a poster noted above, they are also responsible for clogs of huge diameter municipal sewers as well.

Secondly, if you knew the things that we have found flushed down ship's toilets, you'd never believe me.  Swimwear, underwear, other clothing items, hand towels, cloth dinner napkins, rolls of paper towels, crack pipes, coke spoons, baggies of unidentified substances, ammunition, food bones, are just some examples of things we've roto-rooted out.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, gizfish said:

Maybe if the cruise lines would put some sort of liner in the bathroom trash bin, people would be more comfortable throwing nasty used wipes in them than flushing them.  

This! (Not that I use those wipes, and if I did I certainly wouldn't flush them.)

And about toilet paper: I have very old sewage drains where I live so it's hugely important that the TP dissolves easily. So I tested different brands/types some years ago (my friends were very amused when I asked for samples of their TP) and it turned out that the ones that dissolved the best (of those I tested) were soft 2/3-ply. (You's actually had to be careful when using it...) The worst was the cheap "harsh" 1/2-ply. This was i Sweden so brand names makes no sense and I have no idea what kind that "Northern" is. 

I don't really blame people since I wouldn't have thought of such a thing. I use baby wipes for my CPAP but don't never flush those. 

It reminds me of the thread a while back re: keeping your balcony slider open.  I used to do that ALL THE TIME on my early cruises.  I loved the ocean breeze and the sound of the waves.  Little did I know that messed the HVAC up for my neighbors, for technical reasons ably explained by @chengkp75 that I don't pretend to understand or remember.  At least there are now notices not to leave the slider open.  

Maybe there needs to be a similar sticker about flushing stuff.  Or maybe there already is and I just never noticed.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

I don't really blame people since I wouldn't have thought of such a thing. I use baby wipes for my CPAP but don't never flush those. 

It reminds me of the thread a while back re: keeping your balcony slider open.  I used to do that ALL THE TIME on my early cruises.  I loved the ocean breeze and the sound of the waves.  Little did I know that messed the HVAC up for my neighbors, for technical reasons ably explained by @chengkp75 that I don't pretend to understand or remember.  At least there are now notices not to leave the slider open.  

Maybe there needs to be a similar sticker about flushing stuff.  Or maybe there already is and I just never noticed.

There are definitely instructions posted not to flush anything down the toilet other than toilet paper.

• Like 1

On my last two cruises, Bliss 2/23 and Jewell 6/23, there were no “feminine hygiene bags” available. I asked Stewart for them. So for us “ladies of the 80s”, who now need supplies in case we sneeze or laugh too hard, it’s a dilemma. Do you try to use the wrapper the product comes in or a wad of toilet paper? Not a flushing problem but certainly a hygienic one. Sigh.

Edited by libtrek
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, libtrek said:

On my last two cruises, Bliss 2/23 and Jewell 6/23, there were no “feminine hygiene bags” available. I asked Stewart for them. So for us “ladies of the 80s”, who now need supplies in case we sneeze or laugh too hard, it’s a dilemma. Do you try to use the wrapper the product comes in or a wad of toilet paper? Not a flushing problem but certainly a hygienic one. Sigh.

You can just fold it and wrap it in some TP or a tissue. If you know you will be needing pads on your trip you could bring some plastic shopping bags to line the bin with. If I am in a hotel or ship cabin, and have any bags from shopping I use them for the bins and wastebasket. The steward will remove them when they clean the room. Of course, where I live, only certain towns I shop in have plastic bags anymore.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gizfish said:

Maybe if the cruise lines would put some sort of liner in the bathroom trash bin, people would be more comfortable throwing nasty used wipes in them than flushing them.  

Or the person who feels the need to use them pack some snack size zip lock bags?

2 hours ago, libtrek said:

Do you try to use the wrapper the product comes in or a wad of toilet paper?

Travel with doggie poop bags. Extremely small & lightweight, fit in a purse/bag (or even pocket) with no issue! Quiet & discreet, waterproof. You can find scented ones if you're worried about odor. And if there's nowhere to dispose of it, can go back in your bag if you need it to! And they're SUPER cheap!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, njkate said:

Please if your tushy is so special you need tushy wipes please DO NOT flush them even if they say flushable

Currently on Jewel with a toilet issue every day, per NCL the line keeps clogging due to someone flushing tushy wipes!!!  Real pain to have to keep going to a common toilet as the one on our cabin isn’t flushing 

LOL when I saw the title to this thread I thought it was a thread about entitled demanding cruisers

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, CatBoiler said:

Travel with doggie poop bags. Extremely small & lightweight, fit in a purse/bag (or even pocket) with no issue! Quiet & discreet, waterproof. You can find scented ones if you're worried about odor. And if there's nowhere to dispose of it, can go back in your bag if you need it to! And they're SUPER cheap!

Dog poop bags are so handy to have. I need to add a roll in my suitcase.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, njkate said:

We were also in this sailing and did not have any issues.   However, we did in March while on the Epic so I completely get it.    Very frustrating.   

• Like 1

I once sailed on The Dawn and woke up to a flood on multiple morning because people down the hall were backing the system up with wet wipes. The struggle is real! We were gifted wine, chocolate covered strawberries, and all kinds of stuff. The crew felt awful. I remember that our room was by O'Sheehan's and I had to go there in my pajamas some mornings due to the flood. I am with the OP 100%. Throw those wet wipes in the trash please. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1