HAL Website

Ride-The-Waves

45 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

HAL, Seabourn, Carnival all owned by the same parent company. I'm seeing a pattern.

Someone did mention on one of these threads that CCL had hired a single group to manage all websites. I guess they misunderstood and read mangle instead. 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

To be fair, I was on the Princess forum and people were grousing about their technology failures too.  It is too bad that cruise lines don't just outsource their technology to a competent third party company.

From what rumor is this is exactly the problem.  All CCL lines have been outsourced to a single company 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

To be fair, I was on the Princess forum and people were grousing about their technology failures too.  It is too bad that cruise lines don't just outsource their technology to a competent third party company.

As Mary said, exactly the problem.

I'm sure you are aware, but for those that may not be; Carnival Cruise Line owns Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Costa, Cunard, P&0, P&O Australia, and AIDA.

If all nine cruise lines under the CCL umbrella are running this same disastrous platform the issue just became more serious. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

37 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm sure you are aware, but for those that may not be; Carnival Cruise Line owns Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Costa, Cunard, P&0, P&O Australia, and AIDA.

In fact, it's Carnival Corporation that owns all the lines you listed, plus Carnival Cruise Line. 

Carnival Cruise Line is not the parent company of HAL; it is a sister company, just as all the others listed are. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RuthC said:

In fact, it's Carnival Corporation that owns all the lines you listed, plus Carnival Cruise Line. 

Carnival Cruise Line is not the parent company of HAL; it is a sister company, just as all the others listed are. 

I knew that. Sorry for any confusion.

For those who appreciate even more details, this stock trades as Carnival Corporation & PLC.  The fact that this is a  PLC makes things interesting :).

And of course, the stock symbol is CCL which some take to mean Carnival Cruise Line.

Devil is always in those pesky details. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If all nine cruise lines under the CCL umbrella are running this same disastrous platform the issue just became more serious. 

Actually, it's Carnival Corporation that's the parent. HAL was part of the Holland America Group until a few moths ago. That included HAL, Princess, P&O Australia, & Seabourn. HAL & Seabourn are still under the same umbrella.

• Like 1

A web server logs all the requests & results although some of the 500s can get missed. They should be able to find the 400s and correct the problems. Sadly, beatings are frowned upon nowadays and no one is willing to wear a shock collar that's triggered every time the server throws a 400 series error. 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I knew there were corps that owned multiple lines but I didn't realize Princess & HAL had a common owner.  If all or some of them are using the same service provider for their websites then they should do a better job of negotiating performance levels and standards with financial penalties for nonperformance.  Or get a better service provider.  In today's world your website is the face of your company.  One that works properly and efficiently presents a competent face to customers.  And probably saves you money on customer service because routine tasks like booking dinners and excursions, buying onboard services, buying upgrades, etc. should be easy to do online.

But what we seem to have, in an era of Artificial Intelligence, Artificial Stupidity.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

HAL, Seabourn, Carnival all owned by the same parent company. I'm seeing a pattern.

Carnival shut down the majority of their site this past weekend. Nobody, including their internal teams, could do anything  - no bookings, payments, checking, excursions... - basically out of business for the weekend.

Hopefully a weekend of maintenance proves effective. If it does, perhaps they could do the same for HAL. Although painful for a couple days, if it results in better customer experience and ultimately be more lucrative for the company, that's much preferred to ongoing issues with loss of revenue and potentially lost customers.

20230916_080924.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I knew there were corps that owned multiple lines but I didn't realize Princess & HAL had a common owner.  If all or some of them are using the same service provider for their websites then they should do a better job of negotiating performance levels and standards with financial penalties for nonperformance.  Or get a better service provider.  In today's world your website is the face of your company.  One that works properly and efficiently presents a competent face to customers.  And probably saves you money on customer service because routine tasks like booking dinners and excursions, buying onboard services, buying upgrades, etc. should be easy to do online.

But what we seem to have, in an era of Artificial Intelligence, Artificial Stupidity.

They have not woken up to the fact that they are a retail operation, they still think of themselves as a service industry.  In this age of internet commerce everyone is a retail outlet.   Website outages are the death of retail.  A customer shouldn’t have to clear caches and try different browsers.  When customers change browsers they could just as well change cruise line.  For the most part the lines are all interchangeable.

My micro business had four internet outlets, I can count on one hand how many times I had any kind of glitch in 15 years of online commerce and I did most of the web design - I used a website builder.  This really isn’t rocket science. If I can do it, anyone can - I had absolutely no interest in computer/internet technology but as a business it was a tool I had to master just like I had to master accounting.  There is no excuse.  It is sloppy and bad form.  They need to treat their customers better.  

• Like 5

On 9/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, Mary229 said:

Someone did mention on one of these threads that CCL had hired a single group to manage all websites. I guess they misunderstood and read mangle instead. 

Right.  That's me.  See post #38 on this thread.  Again, search keywords "Carnival" and "Capgemini".

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

"Bad Request" still there today.  And, the feedback button is missing.

So I guess it is time to register our dissatisfaction on social media.   I use Twitter and will comment there.  If anyone is on Facebook leave a comment there.  It wouldn’t hurt to leave comments addressed to CCL either 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:49 AM, AV8rix said:

Right.  That's me.  See post #38 on this thread.  Again, search keywords "Carnival" and "Capgemini".

I missed, or skipped over, that post but have gone back and read it and the linked article, so I appreciate you directing us to that prior post.  I don't have a problem with outsourcing in general, but it doesn't seem to be working in this case in the way it was implemented nor in the resulting product/service.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Lucky you. Incognito worked for me initially. Now it's no better than any other browser :(* 

That is what is so frustrating.  In a world where people access the internet with such a wide variety of devices, operating systems, and browsers I would think a top top priority would be to design your website around the goal of being accessible and stable no matter how it is accessed.  But apparently, not so.

• Like 1