Cape Liberty to EWR transportation

CCJack

What transportation options are there to EWR.   I assume taxi is the easiest but wondering if there is a shuttle bus service or other.    We have a 1:30 pm flight after debarkation, so I think we will have plenty of time to work with.

3 hours ago, CCJack said:

What transportation options are there to EWR.   I assume taxi is the easiest but wondering if there is a shuttle bus service or other.    We have a 1:30 pm flight after debarkation, so I think we will have plenty of time to work with.

Taxi, Uber/Lyft, car service such as Carmel Limo. The taxis can be old and ratty, so I'd choose Uber over a taxi.

Cruise lines normally offer a bus to EWR. check with your cruise line for the details.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, Ashland said:

The taxi's can't be worse than the Uber we used a couple of years ago from Cape Liberty-EWR. I'm not usually a complainer but had to and gladly accepted a refund. So you just never know.

We are local and my family Ubers a lot, you probably had a one off. Taxi’s have been horrible here forever, I remember before Uber I would beg my husband to take a car service to the airport, 20 minutes away. Instead we’d take a cab with a metal ceiling and no a/c.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, Ashland said:

The taxi's can't be worse than the Uber we used a couple of years ago from Cape Liberty-EWR. I'm not usually a complainer but had to and gladly accepted a refund. So you just never know

They absolutely can. Northern NJ taxis are literally some of the worst...ever. No idea why. As bad as your Uber was most likely the taxi you would have gotten would have been worse. Not to mention the taxis can be considerably more expensive than Uber/Lyft so you get to pay for the privilege. 

I would highly encourage the OP to take an Uber or Lyft and avoid a local taxi from Cape Liberty. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We just did Cape Liberty to EWR yesterday getting off RC’s Jewel.  We were “self assist”.  Lined up at 7:15 for the scheduled 7:30 time, but only allowed to leave the boat about 7:45. 

Royal has a bus that has an 8:15 meet time in the theater. Given luggage and immigration, I suspect it left about 9am. Cost was $27/ person. It sold our 4 days before docking. We were on a 17 night transatlantic. 

I checked Uber in the morning and they were about $100. 

Taxis are funny. You leave the terminal out the North(?) door and take a left. Go across the street and into a chain link fence area. There are no “real” taxis that are yellow and say taxi. The coordinator offered us $69 for a private car or $22/ person in a 25-ish person shuttle. We took the shuttle. It took 15-20 minutes to load everyone.  Cash or credit cards. 

The trip to EWR took about twice the time it should have at maybe 50 minutes. There was a detour because of traffic and dropping people off at a hotel first. Bad shuttle and bad roads. 

In retrospect, the extra $20 for a private car would have cut the wait and drive from over an hour to about 20 minutes. We will do that next time. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, pretzlaff said:

Royal has a bus that has an 8:15 meet time in the theater. Given luggage and immigration, I suspect it left about 9am. Cost was $27/ person. 

Taxis are funny. You leave the terminal out the North(?) door and take a left. Go across the street and into a chain link fence area. There are no “real” taxis that are yellow and say taxi.

Thanks for posting your experience. The price for Uber is outrageous but it will give Cape Liberty cruisers an idea of Uber's surge pricing which is not the same as Uber's price on a random day of the week with no ship at Bayonne.

While car services are allowed to pick up passengers in front of the terminal, taxi service is not. It is how you described it, in a lot across from the terminal. Best way to get to the taxi lot is exit the terminal to the right, go left when outside, walk up to the road (near the garage glass entrance doors) and cross 2 cross walks to the taxi lot.

6 hours ago, pretzlaff said:

We just did Cape Liberty to EWR yesterday getting off RC’s Jewel.  We were “self assist”.  Lined up at 7:15 for the scheduled 7:30 time, but only allowed to leave the boat about 7:45. 

Royal has a bus that has an 8:15 meet time in the theater. Given luggage and immigration, I suspect it left about 9am. Cost was $27/ person. It sold our 4 days before docking. We were on a 17 night transatlantic. 

Taxis are funny. You leave the terminal out the North(?) door and take a left. Go across the street and into a chain link fence area. There are no “real” taxis that are yellow and say taxi. The coordinator offered us $69 for a private car or $22/ person in a 25-ish person shuttle. We took the shuttle. It took 15-20 minutes to load everyone.  Cash or credit cards. 

The trip to EWR took about twice the time it should have at maybe 50 minutes. There was a detour because of traffic and dropping people off at a hotel first. Bad shuttle and bad roads. 

In retrospect, the extra $20 for a private car would have cut the wait and drive from over an hour to about 20 minutes. We will do that next time. 

Thank you so much for your recent experience. We'll be departing Liberty on Saturday October 14th and have an 11:00am flight (UA changed recently as we had booked a noon flight) from EWR. We'll do self assist and will now opt for the private car service. Very much appreciate your tip.

However any idea what the taxi was charging ?

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Thanks for posting your experience. The price for Uber is outrageous but it will give Cape Liberty cruisers an idea of Uber's surge pricing which is not the same as Uber's price on a random day of the week with no ship at Bayonne.

While car services are allowed to pick up passengers in front of the terminal, taxi service is not. It is how you described it, in a lot across from the terminal. Best way to get to the taxi lot is exit the terminal to the right, go left when outside, walk up to the road (near the garage glass entrance doors) and cross 2 cross walks to the taxi lot.

Is there signage to the taxi area or are we on our own to find it ?

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Is there signage to the taxi area or are we on our own to find it ?

It's New Jersey...there are no signs.🙂 Once you complete both crosswalks you will be in the lot and employees should be there to assist.

If you are using a private taxi, the taxi lot is where you must walk to. If you are using a private car service, pickup is in front of the terminal, zones 6-10. When you exit the terminal (exiting left), you are in zone 6.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pretzlaff said:

Another option is to chat folks up while you are waiting in line to get off and see who else is going to EWR.  If they have limited luggage like you, then maybe the 4 of you can share one of the private taxi things at a total of $69.

Limited luggage 🤣...Not us...but thanks.

We'll see if the concierge can help get us off early as we've done this before with an early flight.

Appreciate your reply.