Norwegian joy

rpodell

15 minutes ago, rpodell said:

What is this ship like? I have only gone across the ocean on the Queen Mary 2 and I am sure this is very different.

You've posted this on a sub-forum about travel insurance.

You should probably post this on the NCL sub-forum.  You'll get the eyes of those who tend to have experience with NCL.

GC

1 hour ago, rpodell said:

How do I get to that site? I am new at this

Hello @rpodell and welcome back to the message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum on the Cruise Critic message boards. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting again! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various message board forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic again

Happy sails,

Host Kat

4 hours ago, rpodell said:

What is this ship like? I have only gone across the ocean on the Queen Mary 2 and I am sure this is very different.

There are some changes coming after drydock ( Click HERE ) but you'll get a good idea of what the ship is like.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I was going to go into a lot of detail but the above post pretty much sums it up.

Should you have any questions after watching it, just ask.

It speaks to what will happen after the refurbishing which is after my Jan 11 voyage. Will it be too cold to swim, do I need to wear winter clothes on the ship, is there free entertainment all day and evening.

20 minutes ago, rpodell said:

It speaks to what will happen after the refurbishing which is after my Jan 11 voyage. Will it be too cold to swim, do I need to wear winter clothes on the ship, is there free entertainment all day and evening.

I believe the pools are heated; obviously, the hot tubs are.  

If you're indoors on the ship, you'd dress just as you would in any other building.  Some places are drafty by the exits but otherwise, no need to bundle up.  Of course, anything outside will be weather dependent.

There is always SOMETHING going on.  Inside, during the day, it might be a trivia contest, bingo, port overviews, previews of other cruises/ships, etc.  There are also bands up on the pool deck during the day.  In the evening, most of the entertainment is on 6-7-8 (sadly, Footloose is no longer available.)  You can look at the dailies for specifics.  Things vary a bit from ship to ship but if you pulled up a daily for any ship you'd have a pretty good idea of what to expect on the Joy.

I've heard reports of some of the post-drydock changes.  Suffice to say, if you were on the ship in November and again in February, you'll notice some changes (smaller Observation Lounge, for instance) but you won't find anything game changing.

Edited by phillygwm

For the OP - if you go out to the thread list for the NCL forum you'll find a drop-down near the top.  In that drop-down is the list of ships, select the Joy from that and you'll get a list of topics related to the Joy...

2 hours ago, rpodell said:

Where is your trip going? That's more important than the time of year it is sailing. Weather in Alaska in June is very different from the weather in Mexico in January.

Inside the ship it is warm, like walking in a mall. You may need a light jacket or sweater if you wander around outside depending on where you're going, but generally speaking you only get your jacket and gloves when you leave the ship.

Free entertainment all day and night throughout the ship. They have some big headliner shows in the main theatre usually at 7pm and 9:30pm I believe a few nights on the sailing, smaller venues will have comedians or smaller singer groups. There's always some trivia, bingo, games, contests, etc going on in the atrium area every day. At night there will be a place for late night dancing.

Every day you'll get a flyer in your room (or on the app) of the listed activities for the next day. Hours, locations, and what is happening so you can plan out your day. Sometimes I find the app easier to just see 'what is happening now' and you'll see your options so you know which direction to head in.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Hopefully, NCL won't start demolition work during your cruise....

Righto. Fares are so cheap for that TA cruise, so OP needs to be fully prepared on what’s going to be going on the TA cruise toward the shipyard. 

OP, maybe a good experience to see the going ons when preparing for the 3 weeks dry dock.