Jets on Sirena hot tub disabled

susiesan

After returning from walking at the Alhambra yesterday I grabbed a drink and was going to relax in the hot tub late afternoon. I discovered there are no buttons to turn on the jets. I asked a pool attendant how to turn on the jets, he said you can't.  The hot tubs on Sirena are now just  big outside bathtubs. I'm disappointed as this is my afternoon ritual, soak my sore back and feet while sipping a cocktail. 

If the hot tubs don't work they should just be removed. Do the other ships have usable hot tubs?

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

After returning from walking at the Alhambra yesterday I grabbed a drink and was going to relax in the hot tub late afternoon. I discovered there are no buttons to turn on the jets. I asked a pool attendant how to turn on the jets, he said you can't.  The hot tubs on Sirena are now just  big outside bathtubs. I'm disappointed as this is my afternoon ritual, soak my sore back and feet while sipping a cocktail. 

If the hot tubs don't work they should just be removed. Do the other ships have usable hot tubs?

Are these air jets or water jets?  Many ships have removed the air jets from hot tubs, as use of these vastly increases the likelihood of promoting legionella.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

After returning from walking at the Alhambra yesterday I grabbed a drink and was going to relax in the hot tub late afternoon. I discovered there are no buttons to turn on the jets.

Are these on the spa deck or pool deck?

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Are these air jets or water jets?  Many ships have removed the air jets from hot tubs, as use of these vastly increases the likelihood of promoting legionella.

If that is the case then the hot tubs should just be removed completely. A big vat of still hot bathwater is just as likely to breed all sorts of nasty germs and bacteria. I don't see my gym or any other place that has air jets for their hot tubs disconnecting them. I don't know if the jets in the spa deck hot tub have also been turned off as I don't have access.

So far, no one from engineering onboard has got back to me with an answer.

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

. I don't know if the jets in the spa deck hot tub have also been turned off as I don't have access.

Just walk out the door  from the dressing room  or gym🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If that is the case then the hot tubs should just be removed completely. A big vat of still hot bathwater is just as likely to breed all sorts of nasty germs and bacteria. I don't see my gym or any other place that has air jets for their hot tubs disconnecting them. I don't know if the jets in the spa deck hot tub have also been turned off as I don't have access.

So far, no one from engineering onboard has got back to me with an answer.

The water is not still,  it is circulated for filtering and chlorination just like a pool.  It's the aerosolization of the water that is dangerous, as legionella is an inhaled bacteria. 

Your gym or other places aren't regulated by the USPH/CDC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just walk out the door  from the dressing room  or gym🙂

I just went up to the spa to check out the hot tub situation.  The jets are working and I can use it.

This rules chengkp75 theory invalid.

While I do understand what Chengkp75 has posted, the issue is that if you take air jets out of a hot tub/spa, what you have is essentially a bathtub or just a warm pool.  Air jets are an essential component for hot tubs.  We also understand some of the problems of Legionnaires (and other pathogens) which is why we are always careful to maintain the proper chemical profile with our own hot tub. 

If cruise ships are not capable of following the appropriate chemical/cleaning profile (while would we assume they can do that with thousands of employees) than perhaps they need to remove all their so-called hot tubs and replace them with bird baths!  Another option would be to rename the ship hot tubs "passenger sous vide devices" since sous vide is about circulating hot water at a controlled temperature.

Hank

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The water is not still,  it is circulated for filtering and chlorination just like a pool.  It's the aerosolization of the water that is dangerous, as legionella is an inhaled bacteria. 

Your gym or other places aren't regulated by the USPH/CDC.

I certainly appreciate the information that you've provided.  Thank you chengkp75 for the explanation!

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

On the spirit in Jan., Sirena in March, and the Gem 2 weeks ago all the hot tubs were circulating water no air.    Yes the water jets are fully functional and provide plenty of hot tub experience.

Edited by davencl

44 minutes ago, davencl said:

To clarify hot tubs do not have air jets.  They inject air into the water jets if enabled.

We have a nice hot tub on our deck and it has separate water and air jets.  In fact, we can even put various odorized capsules into the air system to inject some odor into the water, such as vanilla, lemon, etc.  If we choose, we could run the air jets with the water jets turned off.

Hank

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have a nice hot tub on our deck and it has separate water and air jets.  In fact, we can even put various odorized capsules into the air system to inject some odor into the water, such as vanilla, lemon, etc.  If we choose, we could run the air jets with the water jets turned off.

Hank

Interesting.  I had not seen that on the ships tubs.  Probably thought this since the hot tubs I've used didn't have that feature on or off ship.

10 hours ago, Tned123 said:

So Susie, Have you found everything else on the ship to your liking? Food OK?

Yes, the food is fine. There is still a large variety to choose from. Most dinners have been at Terrace so we can dine outside. Last night in Grand Dining dinner took over 2 hours, and the water got lots of orders wrong.

I'm not happy about the nonworking hot tub jets by the pool so I'll go use the jacuzzi by the spa. All excursions are private so I have no comment on them. We have a great fun trivia team and we are winning a lot of big O points. CD Peter is a hoot, he should have his own comedy show.

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

Update to original post: it is now 3 days later and the hot tubs still are disabled. I have not received an explanation or response to my question as to why. I used the hot tub off of the spa and will continue to do so.

Glad you found a acceptable solution.....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LaCroisiereS'amuse said:

Probably not acceptable to those actually entitled to use the spa terrace i.e. Concierge & above.

I agree but apparently on her cruise they are not enforcing that rule so not much the people entitled to use can do until O closes and locks the door....

• Like 1