Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I always assumed broiled was American for grilled, but now I see broiled on the menu, grilled at a supplement. What is broiled exactly?

I'm not sure there is a difference in the way they are using it. Grilled to me is on a BBQ outside. They did not do that here 😆 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Grilled is cooked from bottom heat, broiled is top heat.  Best I can do.

Correct. @exlondoner  A broiler has combo of direct heat from top flame for a sear and heat within the oven to fully cook. Grilling, as mentioned, is cooking on an open flame with no oven heat, unless covered somehow. One can grill veggies but most often never broil veggies. Usually only thick cuts of meat and chops get broiled or maybe garlic bread/ baked pasta for a quick browning. 
The chef must be careful not to overcook food under a broiler. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Correct. @exlondoner  A broiler has combo of direct heat from top flame for a sear and heat within the oven to fully cook. Grilling, as mentioned, is cooking on an open flame with no oven heat, unless covered somehow. One can grill veggies but most often never broil veggies. Usually only thick cuts of meat and chops get broiled or maybe garlic bread/ baked pasta for a quick browning. 
The chef must be careful not to overcook food under a broiler. 

Different over here.

• Like 3

Love that salmon. My last shot at it I don't think I've seen it on the new menus.

The calamari was good...almost too rubbery and could have been hotter. I got spoiled with hot food on Cunard.

Chicken parmesean and beef brisket 727.

16980820789212736252637171948812.thumb.jpg.e1495f855cb5221d473b5147380043e4.jpg

16980820940348511100470836302415.thumb.jpg.a60d520540e5f896ff28e26642ffdd44.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Whiteduck1 said:

I must say, I don't obviously know how it tastes but it looked far nicer on Cunard... 

It was a little off. Presentation was definitely poor. The taste was ok but as I said a little off. But I suspect they have not taken on new provisions for this menu since before dry dock.

Should be fresher starting tomorrow. 

But even on their best day, food is not as good on here. Not bad, but Cunard was definitely better.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Different over here.

From Google

The Definition Of Broiling And GrillingBroiling and grilling do have a cooking process that's similar. However, grilling has a heat source that's below the food, and the heat source for broiling is above the food. Both types of cooking methods use direct heat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

New machines in the place of a nice place to sit and listen to the music 😞

16980749178437236338283556209628.thumb.jpg.7e70a8f79ab8498c60029396796f64b0.jpg

16980752872134127156448959180726.thumb.jpg.6f8ab3de41d694b648de1c78b53885e9.jpg

Basically nowhere to sit and listen to the singer now, they might as well pull him out.

They did that on Glory too, it makes the Conquest Class more like the Sunrise/Radiance, I'm not a fan. I do love those wheel of fortune slots though, lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

From Google

The Definition Of Broiling And GrillingBroiling and grilling do have a cooking process that's similar. However, grilling has a heat source that's below the food, and the heat source for broiling is above the food. Both types of cooking methods use direct heat.

Sorry, I have instructions on how to use my Zanussi oven, and the heat source for grilling definitely comes from above. I believe them. And I think that is the universal UK usage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

From Google

Sorry, I have instructions on how to use my Zanussi oven, and the heat source for grilling definitely comes from above. I believe them. And I think that is the universal UK usage.

9 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

From Google

Is this going to be on the test?

• Haha 18