Cruise Director on voyager

Lonedaddy

• Lonedaddy changed the title to Cruise Director on voyager
On 9/7/2023 at 8:40 PM, Pcardad said:

If you call Regent, they will tell you the senior staff and the senior entertainment (CD - Social Hostess) department. You just have to be within 60 days.

Thanks - good to know.  It isn't that important I'm sure whoever is on board will be good, don't want to bother Regent with a trivial issue like that as the are probably handing more urgent issues.  

8 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Thanks - good to know.  It isn't that important I'm sure whoever is on board will be good, don't want to bother Regent with a trivial issue like that as the are probably handing more urgent issues.  

Regent Reps are envaulted on their average phone call times - I am sure any one of them would love a 60 second call like this.

• Haha 2

On 9/7/2023 at 10:22 PM, Lonedaddy said:

Anyone recently on voyager ?  Wondering who the cruise director is.  We embark Oct 15th.

Newbie to Regent here. Curious as to why you ask the question. Is s/he someone a traveler should seek out? Have only been on bigger cruises where it would be impossible to find/seek out such a crew member!

3 minutes ago, TheShag said:

Newbie to Regent here. Curious as to why you ask the question. Is s/he someone a traveler should seek out? Have only been on bigger cruises where it would be impossible to find/seek out such a crew member!

On Regent ships, with passenger levels from 490, 700 and 750 capacity, the staff members are easily approachable and become friends/friendly with.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheShag said:

On splendor I would sit at the front right side terrace.  David Nevin would come in that way to introduce acts so I would chat with him more show.  He also personally responded to my mid cruise review card with some suggestions I had.  So on regent ships you will see them offer trivia is another example and all have been friendly and approachable with me.  So have many of the performers and even guest performers in the bars.  

While slightly off topic the other officers are also engaging and friendly.  I found this to be quite the opposite on silversea, where they are mostly standoffish and hidden except maybe the cruise Director.  Not sure if those are corporate cultures or directives but I did notice the difference.

• Thanks 1

It is  a while since I travelled on Silversea, but the senior Officers were all Italian and many did not speak much English, even including the Captain.  They did  not enjoy hosting  dinner tables, and it was not a pleasure to be at one.   This could well have changed over the years, but it was noticeably different to Seabourn and Regent.

On 9/7/2023 at 7:22 PM, Lonedaddy said:

Anyone recently on voyager ?  Wondering who the cruise director is.  We embark Oct 15th.

The cruise director on Voyager is likely to be David Nevin, with Alex as his assistant and Anabel as social hostess. They were all there in June. All three of them are moving to Grandeur for her maiden season. That's either happening in October or November.

7 hours ago, RELS said:

The cruise director on Voyager is likely to be David Nevin, with Alex as his assistant and Anabel as social hostess. They were all there in June. All three of them are moving to Grandeur for her maiden season. That's either happening in October or November.

David Nevin left Voyager on August 28 for vacation prior to joining Grandeur for the Inaugural Season.

The Cruise Director often sets the mood/atmosphere of the passenger activities on the ship.  I cannot tell you who sets what mood, but I have noticed that the mood is slightly different depending on who is in charge of the department.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Sets the mood - I have no idea what this means.  Boring versus fun? Sophisticated and stuffy?  Not sure how one person is going to effect the mood of my cruise.  Would love an example.  

The CD does affect the mood (or vibe).  Of course itinerary and passengers do also.  Our first cruise in 2018 was 44 nights from Honolulu to Sydney.  On the Honolulu to Aukland segments we had a CD who was widely considered the number one CD at Regent (he has since left the company, sadly).  He was as energetic as the "Energizer Bunny," always about the ship, organizing things, talking to people, etc.  He was.... "fun."  The "vibe" was what you'd expect for a Polynesian cruise.... fun, informal, etc. In a few ports where we had overnights or late departures he brought local talent aboard to perform. 

In Aukland we switched CD's.  The replacement, who is very highly thought of on here, was more..."stuffy" for lack of a better term. The cruise was just "different."  It seemed to us to be a totally different cruise. Different "vibe."  Definitely more formal and less "fun."  Not that we didn't love it, we did. And going from Polynesia to New Zealand/Australia is part of it too.  But the shows were more "old style," his entertainment was definitely "old style," he was not about the ship all the time and was less visible at on board activities, etc.  Not that he wasn't an excellent CD, he was and is.  Just a "different' feel completely.  Much more of an "old school" CD than the first one was.  Not bad, just different.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1