NCL switching to fixed menus in the MDR?

DrSea

I just got off of the getaway and they said that they are switching to fixed dinning. I read on here that the prima already switched to rotating menus. 

My question is what is NCL planning to do about the MDR? I am booked on the epic in April 2024.

Thanks for your help. I did a quick search and didn't find an immediate answer. 

22 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Who are "They"?

The Captain?

Head of Food and Beverages?

Head Chef?

Waiter?

Busboy?

When was it said?

Formal presentation?

Behind the scenes tour?

Random overheard comment?

Context would be helpful.

I don't want to tell who told me bc I don't want to put them on blast. 

I was told that it will be tested across the line and that the getaway is next

Edited by DrSea

Fixed dining or fixed menus?  I noticed a recent change when trying to make MDR dining reservations on the Bliss.  In the past we could reserve on the half hour.  Now we can choose 6:30 or 8:30 only.  Hmmmm.

As for my hubby and me (we’re pretty typical) we dislike the “cattle call” so we would load up on Specialty Dining and might even consider Haven.  Plays well for NCL’s piggy bank.

and, what’s funny, MSC is experimenting with Anytime Dining in US based cruises.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Fixed dining or fixed menus?  I noticed a recent change when trying to make MDR dining reservations on the Bliss.  In the past we could reserve on the half hour.  Now we can choose 6:30 or 8:30 only.  Hmmmm.

As for my hubby and me (we’re pretty typical) we dislike the “cattle call” so we would load up on Specialty Dining and might even consider Haven.  Plays well for NCL’s piggy bank.

and, what’s funny, MSC is experimenting with Anytime Dining in US based cruises.  

Fixed menus is what I'm asking about 

5 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Fixed menus is what I'm asking about 

I know that is what your post is suggesting.  I was wondering if in the translation did the communication get twisted.  I offered up a scenario where it could be possible the “fixed” dining comment was referring to the dining time not the menus.

Time will tell…2024 enhancements for our convenience are in the works now.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I know that is what your post is suggesting.  I was wondering if in the communication did the translation get twisted.  I offered up a scenario where it could be possible the “fixed” dining comment was referring to the dining time not the menus.

Time will tell…2024 enhancements for our convenience are in the works now.  

Oooooh!

I'm pretty sure they understood. They spoke English as well as me, an American. We discussed in length how disappointing a fixed menu would be to multiple senior officers and managers. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Oooooh!

I'm pretty sure they understood. They spoke English as well as me, an American. We discussed in length how disappointing a fixed menu would be to multiple senior officers and managers. 

Ouch!  I don’t know what’s worse…fixed dining or fixed menu. Oh yes, both fixed dining and fixed menus would be worse (oh nooo).  Regardless…NCL wins.  We would still move towards more SPD or Haven.  Yay NCL.  Hope someday they improve their bottom line enough that all of us can get back to the glory days.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Ouch!  I don’t know what’s worse…fixed dining or fixed menu. Oh yes, both fixed dining and fixed menus would be worse (oh nooo).  Regardless…NCL wins.  We would still move towards more SPD or Haven.  Yay NCL.  Hope someday they improve their bottom line enough that all of us can get back to the glory days.  

But the Haven has a fixed menu so it wouldn't really solve anything. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The Prima was supposed to be an experiment to see how their passengers would respond to a fixed menu. Since they switched back to a rotating menu, I would say they did not get the reaction that they were hoping for.

Are you saying that the Prima now has rotating menu each night in the main dining room? 

(I'm new to NCL, and just booked, so I'm trying to find info.)

• Like 1

Just now, kaida said:

Are you saying that the Prima now has rotating menu each night in the main dining room? 

Yes, the Prima is now rotating menus like the rest of the fleet. 

• Like 3

Just now, debenson0723 said:

Yes, the Prima is now rotating menus like the rest of the fleet. 

Thank you for the info. Do you know if the current menus are available anywhere online for me to look at for the Prima? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kaida said:

Thank you for the info. Do you know if the current menus are available anywhere online for me to look at for the Prima? 

NCL's fleet-wide menus are posted in many places online.  There are 21 or 22 menus from which the head chef can pick for any particular cruise.  There's no knowing which of those menus will be on a particular sailing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

NCL's fleet-wide menus are posted in many places online.  There are 21 or 22 menus from which the head chef can pick for any particular cruise.  There's no knowing which of those menus will be on a particular sailing.

Thank you. I appreciate the info. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, laudergayle said:

No way NCL would switch back to fixed dining. The Freestyle dining is the big draw for many people who cruise with NCL. We sailed on Prima with the fixed menu. The only thing I didn't like was the limited dessert choices. Otherwise, I thought it was a great menu for a week long cruise. May get boring on a longer trip. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kaida said:

We were on the Prima last month, and yes, the menus in the main dining room, Hudsons, changed daily.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, laudergayle said:

As for my hubby and me (we’re pretty typical) we dislike the “cattle call” so we would load up on Specialty Dining and might even consider Haven.  

Hope you mean so you can dine anytime in the Haven as the Haven menu never changes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

No way NCL would switch back to fixed dining. The Freestyle dining is the big draw for many people who cruise with NCL. We sailed on Prima with the fixed menu. The only thing I didn't like was the limited dessert choices. Otherwise, I thought it was a great menu for a week long cruise. May get boring on a longer trip. 

Perhaps.  I’m just speculating.  While Freestyle Dining may be a big draw, if the other cruise lines that have fixed dining are running at full occupancy it really isn’t a competitive advantage for NCL.  And if anytime dining costs more to execute it would definitely be something NCL might consider.  

I shared in a previous post that on our November cruise on Bliss, we can only reserve Taste and Manhattan MDR for 6:30 or 8:30…which is a switch from previous cruises where could reserve on the half hour.  Savor was not available to reserve until onboard.

Again, just speculation…they could be experimenting with dining model similar to MSC.  For an upcharge you can book anytime dining in Savor, with overflow into one section of another MDR.

Also spectulation…NCL may be considering a new brand positioning moving away from Freestyle

Truth is…none of us here on CC has any idea what NCL May or may not do.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Perhaps.  I’m just speculating.  While Freestyle Dining may be a big draw, if the other cruise lines that have fixed dining are running at full occupancy it really isn’t a competitive advantage for NCL.  And if anytime dining costs more to execute it would definitely be something NCL might consider.  

I shared in a previous post that on our November cruise on Bliss, we can only reserve Taste and Manhattan MDR for 6:30 or 8:30…which is a switch from previous cruises where could reserve on the half hour.  Savor was not available to reserve until onboard.

Again, just speculation…they could be experimenting with dining model similar to MSC.  For an upcharge you can book anytime dining in Savor, with overflow into one section of another MDR.

Also spectulation…NCL may be considering a new brand positioning moving away from Freestyle

Truth is…none of us here on CC has any idea what NCL May or may not do.

That's a lot of speculating. LOL. I have never made a reservation for the MDR on NCL. Usually it is just my husband and I, and we have never had a problem getting a table. More dining times should be available once you are on board. That does sound strange though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, omahabob said:

The MDRs on Getaway had fixed menus when we were on it back in May. That's why we never went there. Nothing on the menu appealed to us.

We were also on the Getaway in May.  However, the MDRs had rotating menus with just a few items that were the same each night.  The rotating menus were like those posted on BirdTravels current 'Live' report.

• Like 3