NCL switching to fixed menus in the MDR?

DrSea

5 hours ago, laudergayle said:

You must have seen I am from Atlanta.

i actually didn’t notice that.

had i, i would have shared my favorite atlanta/coke anecdote…

many years ago, i visited the world of coca-cola, which - for the uninitiated - can only be described as a shrine/museum/marketplace for all things coke. when i left the building, there was a huge line of maybe two hundred devoted people waiting to get in, as the attraction was quite new. i walked a few feet, turned to look at the line, walked a few more feet, then turned back to shout a warning to those waiting patiently in the queue: “it’s people! coca-cola is people!”

a few people got it and laughed. everybody else thought I was crazy, i’m sure.

the relevant point here about NCL is that they have enormous brand equity in the freestyle concept, particularly with dining. coke enjoys that same relationship with its fanatical customers. no mater what coke product is released, they don’t stray far from their secret recipe, their signature logo or their distinctive colors or their contour bottle. when they did, they failed miserably. so, in my opinion, it would be quite a business risk for NCL to mess with their signature freestyle concept.  

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i actually didn’t notice that.

had i, i would have shared my favorite atlanta/coke anecdote…

many years ago, i visited the world of coca-cola, which - for the uninitiated - can only be described as a shrine/museum/marketplace for all things coke. when i left the building, there was a huge line of maybe two hundred devoted people waiting to get in, as the attraction was quite new. i walked a few feet, turned to look at the line, walked a few more feet, then turned back to shout a warning to those waiting patiently in the queue: “it’s people! coca-cola is people!”

a few people got it and laughed. everybody else thought I was crazy, i’m sure.

the relevant point here about NCL is that they have enormous brand equity in the freestyle concept, particularly with dining. coke enjoys that same relationship with its fanatical customers. no mater what coke product is released, they don’t stray far from their secret recipe, their signature logo or their distinctive colors or their contour bottle. when they did, they failed miserably. so, in my opinion, it would be quite a business risk for NCL to mess with their signature freestyle concept.  

Love your Coca Cola anecdote.  Coca Cola did a product alteration, which in consumer package goods is risky. It would be like Mickey D’s taking the secret sauce off the Big Mac.  Brand positioning is something that shifts with consumer behavior, and something that gives you a competitive advantage.  Freestyle has been a very successful position for NCL.  However if it costs more to deliver than the benefit it delivers…or the consumer behavior has changed, then it’s time to rethink.  The postings on this thread suggest that NCL competitors are doing a hybrid of Freestyle. If doing hybrid…why not all in.  It’s either cost or consumer behavior.  And, if you think about it…things aren’t really “Freestyle”… you are encouraged to make reservations for dining, especially Specialty (which isn’t free), entertainment, racetrack (not free), Vibe (not free), darts, pool, bowling, games (not free).  So, exactly does “freestyle” mean.  Again, no crystal ball here…but as a retired brand marketing executive…(slow wave of two hands over an orb)…I believe there will (or should) be changes.  We will see.  In 120 days y’all can come back here and reposition me 😂

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

I remember in a world not too long ago where NCL's big production shows were a selling point over the competition. We all know what happened to most of those. IMHO nothing is sacred right now.

Nor should it be.  We all want every cruise line and the economy in general to improve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

I remember in a world not too long ago where NCL's big production shows were a selling point over the competition. We all know what happened to most of those. IMHO nothing is sacred right now.

Are you saying NCL cut them or everyone else got bigger shows? Or both?

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Love your Coca Cola anecdote.  Coca Cola did a product alteration, which in consumer package goods is risky. It would be like Mickey D’s taking the secret sauce off the Big Mac.  Brand positioning is something that shifts with consumer behavior, and something that gives you a competitive advantage.  Freestyle has been a very successful position for NCL.  However if it costs more to deliver than the benefit it delivers…or the consumer behavior has changed, then it’s time to rethink.  The postings on this thread suggest that NCL competitors are doing a hybrid of Freestyle. If doing hybrid…why not all in.  It’s either cost or consumer behavior.  And, if you think about it…things aren’t really “Freestyle”… you are encouraged to make reservations for dining, especially Specialty (which isn’t free), entertainment, racetrack (not free), Vibe (not free), darts, pool, bowling, games (not free).  So, exactly does “freestyle” mean.  Again, no crystal ball here…but as a retired brand marketing executive…(slow wave of two hands over an orb)…I believe there will (or should) be changes.  We will see.  In 120 days y’all can come back here and reposition me 😂

For sure change is coming.

And 100% agree with what freestyle really means when we have to book and pay for everything. 

17 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

the big productions shows were never a unique selling point.

At least RCCL always had the same quality of entertainment(if not even better),not sure about other cruise lines so far.

16 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Nor should it be.  We all want every cruise line and the economy in general to improve.

The question is whether a change from freestyle to fixed dining is an improvement. 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

NCL has cut many shows. I can't speak for the other lines as it has been over 10 years since I have cruised with another line.

Yes I'm very disappointed that the Star didn't have a Broadway show. I was actively looking forward to it. 

6 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

the big productions shows were never a unique selling point.

At least RCCL always had the same quality of entertainment(if not even better),not sure about other cruise lines so far.

Cats alone drags down the quality of RCL's shows collectively.  

I'm jk of course right meow, but only a Lil.

(Seriously though, cats is terrible)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

Cats alone drags down the quality of RCL's shows collectively.  

I'm jk of course right meow, but only a Lil.

(Seriously though, cats is terrible)

LOL I really enjoy Broadway shows, and I like cats, but I agree that the show Cats is terrible. 

Star never had actual Broadway shows, but it did have good quality NCL production shows. Hopefully any entertainment cutbacks are temporary.

I am very happy that I will be seeing Footloose before it is gone and hope they replace it with something good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am very happy that I will be seeing Footloose before it is gone

I'm on one of the last cruises on the Bliss that will have SIX.  I first saw it on that ship in 2019 and loved it, I'm disappointed that they're dropping the show from that ship next year.  I didn't book the cruise because of that, it's a 15-night Panama Canal cruise...

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 3:59 PM, laudergayle said:

What you say is accurate.  Freestyle dining is not a competitive advantage for NCL. Cruisers are not choosing cruise line based on dining hours as a main part of their selection criteria.  They are likely choosing based on cost/itinerary/convenience, and a certain % are choosing based on loyalty.  I don’t know if fixed dining is less expensive than freestyle dining, but my instinct says that fixed might be less expensive…which is why so many cruise lines do fixed.  NCL has said they will leave no stone unturned and have hired a consultant to find these cost cutting areas.   This could be one area they are eyeing 🤷‍♀️

We chose NCL specifically for freestyle dining, as have several other folks we've met. While you may debate the size of the competitive advantage, it most certainly is one.

• Like 3