Ischia from Naples

Anyislandwilldo

41 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Has anyone gone to Ischia while docked in Naples?  We will be there from 7-7 so I'm thinking of hopping on the ferry and going to the spas for a day.  I would love to hear of your experiences!!

Yes.  Search for "Ischia" in this forum.

We were docked in Naples in July and caught the hydrofoil to the island of Procida. The next stop was Ischia. Just be aware that the hydrofoil can be rough. Let’s just say we were relieved to be getting off at Procida, as people were throwing up everywhere - it was carnage. The crew couldn’t give out sick bags quick enough. We weren’t expecting it as it was a gorgeous day.There were a lot of ship shore excursions on the hydrofoil too.Would hate to do it in the winter. I would love to go to Ischia but my advice would be definitely go on the ferry. The ferry to Ischia takes a wee while though so you would need to weigh up how much time you would actually have on the island.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I did a search and nothing came up.  That's why I'm asking the question.

Yep, we have done it (and posted here) a few years ago.  It is just a short walk (less than 10 min) from the Naples cruise port over to the ferry port (Molo Beverllo), where you can easily purchase tickets for the next high speed ferry to Ischia, Procida, Capri, etc.  

Once on the island of Ischia, there is a public bus line that circles the island (along the outer road) in either direction.  Of course, you should do your pre-visit homework to determine where you want to go....during your visit.

Just beware that ferries do not run (to Ischia or Procida) as often as one would desire, and cruisers need to carefully check the schedule to make sure they can get back to Naples in time to catch their ship.  And as always, we who are independent travelers should always have a "Plan B" which is how to catch-up to the ship in the unlikely event that a ferry is cancelled, breaks down, etc.  Over 50 years of extensive DIY travel has taught me to always have that "Plan B" in the back of my mind.

Hank

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yep, we have done it (and posted here) a few years ago.  It is just a short walk (less than 10 min) from the Naples cruise port over to the ferry port (Molo Beverllo), where you can easily purchase tickets for the next high speed ferry to Ischia, Procida, Capri, etc.  

Once on the island of Ischia, there is a public bus line that circles the island (along the outer road) in either direction.  Of course, you should do your pre-visit homework to determine where you want to go....during your visit.

Just beware that ferries do not run (to Ischia or Procida) as often as one would desire, and cruisers need to carefully check the schedule to make sure they can get back to Naples in time to catch their ship.  And as always, we who are independent travelers should always have a "Plan B" which is how to catch-up to the ship in the unlikely event that a ferry is cancelled, breaks down, etc.  Over 50 years of extensive DIY travel has taught me to always have that "Plan B" in the back of my mind.

Hank

Thanks Hank!  I went to Ischia 30 years ago and spend the day at the spas.  We are coming back on a cruise ship and just wondering how difficult it would be to get back the spas.  Independent traveler here as well and always account for what can go wrong.  Sounds like it we be a hassle so maybe we will stick to a land excursion in Naples. 

14 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Thanks Hank!  I went to Ischia 30 years ago and spend the day at the spas.  We are coming back on a cruise ship and just wondering how difficult it would be to get back the spas.  Independent traveler here as well and always account for what can go wrong.  Sounds like it we be a hassle so maybe we will stick to a land excursion in Naples. 

The thing about "Plan Bs" is that we have never missed a ship (knock on a bulkhead) in hundreds (perhaps more than a thousand) of cruise ports in nearly 50 years of extensive cruising.   In the case of doing things at Naples, most of our cruises have another port the following day, usually in Italy or relatively close...so we have little concern.  When we go off to places like Ischia, we take a close look at the weather (when we arrive in the Port) and act accordingly.  A terrific advantage to DIY travel is the flexibility to change plans at a moment's notice.  Taking ferries to places like Capri, Ischia or Procida are best left to good weather days :).  

What makes Naples such a wonderful port (for us) is that there are so many options in how to spend one's day.  We could easily come up with dozens of options (including Ischia), many of which are not done by the usually overpriced (and overcrowded) cruise line excursions.  

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

The thing about "Plan Bs" is that we have never missed a ship (knock on a bulkhead) in hundreds (perhaps more than a thousand) of cruise ports in nearly 50 years of extensive cruising.   In the case of doing things at Naples, most of our cruises have another port the following day, usually in Italy or relatively close...so we have little concern.  

What makes Naples such a wonderful port (for us) is that there are so many options in how to spend one's day.  We could easily come up with dozens of options (including Ischia), many of which are not done by the usually overpriced (and overcrowded) cruise line excursions.  

Hank

Naples is our last port before Citivecheia.  I'm now thinking Sorrento and Positano for a tour.  I'm pretty sure the others in my party would not be happy having to fly back to Rome.  ☺️

1 hour ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Naples is our last port before Citivecheia.  I'm now thinking Sorrento and Positano for a tour.  I'm pretty sure the others in my party would not be happy having to fly back to Rome.  ☺️

Fast trains from Naples to Rome run many times daily and take as little as 60-75 minutes. That's always a good "Plan B" when the last stop before Civitavecchia is Naples.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Reading all the back and forth on this topic is very helpful but i would like some opinions on if a trip to Ischia is a good choice.  The castle looks great but is there much else?  I've done Capri, Amalfi coast, Pompeii before so i am looking for something different and Ischia popped into my head. 

Chris

2 hours ago, fcleiser3 said:

Reading all the back and forth on this topic is very helpful but i would like some opinions on if a trip to Ischia is a good choice.  The castle looks great but is there much else?  I've done Capri, Amalfi coast, Pompeii before so i am looking for something different and Ischia popped into my head. 

Chris

Ischia is very low key. Can’t say that I enjoyed it very much but in addition to the castle I also visited some gardens (Giardini la Mortella) and a museum containing some interesting Greek and Roman artifacts, including Nestor’s Cup: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor's_Cup_(Pithekoussai)

For me, more interesting options around Naples would be the Roman villa at Oplontis or the amphitheatre at Pozzuoli, both of which can be reached by public transportation from Naples. You also don’t mention Naples itself, with its outstanding museum of artifacts from Pompeii, Herculaneum and other excavated Roman and Greek sites of southern Italy. Or Paestum, a bit further south ( easier from Salerno but doable from Naples).

• Like 1

I guess it depends on "what floats your boat"  :).  If you are looking for tourist sites then you might find Ischia somewhat boring.  As I recall, we took a local bus around the island (they have buses that circle in either direction) and enjoyed a very nice lunch.  When I talk about going to islands like Ischia or Procida it is normally in context of helping folks that have been to Naples, many times, and is looking for something different and laid back.  There is so much to see and do (from the port of Naples) that one could go to that port a dozen times and never repeat anything!  After about 2 dozen visits, Ischia or Procida start to sound like terrific options :).  

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

We will also be skipping Naples in June and I am looking forward to Procida for something different.  It looks like it would be a nice way to spend a day, just kind of wandering around and exploring. From what I read on this thread, it sounds like the ferry might be a better option than the hydro foil but per their website, it appears that it departs from a location other than Molo Beverello.  Is it far from the port?

Porta Calata di Massa, where the slow boats/ferries port, is about a third of a mile on foot from the cruise port, not far at all.

Before visiting Procida, I suggest watching the movie "Il Postino", which is set there and was partially filmed on the island.

• Like 2

Naples is one of our favourite ports for the wealth of choice.   We have been to Ischia and enjoyed it.  But it pales in comparison to a visit to the magnificent palace  at Caserta, which appeared in the empire strikes back or Villa Oplontis, Neros wife’s villa with its wonderful frescoes.   Both are easily reached by train, and will allow for a late visit to Naples for pizza!

We also very much enjoyed Paestum and the amazing Greek temples, but as we stayed in that area cannot comment on timings. 

• 3 weeks later...

My DW is a native of Napoli and I’ve been there (and driven there!!) quite a lot. 
I recommend staying away from any reliance on bus, ferry, or any mass transit schedules in Naples and most of Italy. There are sudden strikes and changes that can mess up your day plans, especially island hopping. I’ve been to both Ischia and Procida and they are great day trips, but try to come back when you’re not on a cruise schedule to do those tours to spend the night that either place. Highly worthwhile. Incredible seafood and German beer in Ischia. I like the above Caserta option and hire a car. 
BTW, never drive in Naples…

Edited by NE John

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

There are sudden strikes and changes that can mess up your day plans

This just isn't true.  Maybe it was when your wife lived there, but laws have changed and now strikes must be announced weeks in advance.  Wildcat strikes are almost unheard of, the last one I can remember was Alitalia employees when the airline was going out of business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NE John said:

My DW is a native of Napoli and I’ve been there (and driven there!!) quite a lot. 
I recommend staying away from any reliance on bus, ferry, or any mass transit schedules in Naples and most of Italy. There are sudden strikes and changes that can mess up your day plans, especially island hopping. I’ve been to both Ischia and Procida and they are great day trips, but try to come back when you’re not on a cruise schedule to do those tours to spend the night that either place. Highly worthwhile. Incredible seafood and German beer in Ischia. I like the above Caserta option and hire a car. 
BTW, never drive in Naples…

I am sorry, but over thirty years of traveling around Italy, with rental cars, trains, ferries, etc. forces me to reject most of your negative post.  Yes, Italy (and most of Europe) do have strikes, but they are generally announced well in advance,  In dozens of trips to Europe (some of them measured in months) we have only encountered two strikes (trains in France and Italy)..and that is over a forty-year period.  

We do agree that when cruise passengers head off on DIY adventures, they need to use a lot of common sense.  But that does not mean being so negative and assuming the worst.  As to going to Caserta from Naples, we would not even consider hiring a car since it is relatively easy (and inexpensive) to simply take the train and walk from the station over to the Palace and gardens.  (and we have Euro Cruiser to thank for the original suggestion that we spend a day at Caserta).

Over decades of extensive travel, we have met more than our share of negative thinking cruisers who have an attitude that the only way to get off a ship is on a cruise ship excursion.  For folks that are happy paying the big bucks, being stuck with large groups of cruisers, dealing with visits to "discount shopping places that kick back to the tour companies" etc, than that is a good option.  But many of us prefer to do our own thing, go to places not visited by large tours, enjoy long lunches, etc.  

You and I can agree with the idea of spending time on land.  DW and I love to cruise, but we also enjoy lots of independent land travel.  But this does not mean that cruisers should spend their lives in fear of "strikes and changes" and all all kinds of the "sky is falling" issues  Plan for the worst (have a Plan B) but be willing to have fun and enjoy.

As to driving in Naples, as one who has driven more than 10,000 miles within Italy I agree, that Naples is not a place one should drive or want to drive.  We have driven through Naples a few times, and rented cars (mulitple times) on port days,  But when we rent a car in Naples it is usually to head to somewhere on the Amalfi Coast or one day when we decided to drive all the way to Paestum.  We advise fellow independent travelers that cars are simply one option that is good for some journeys, and not for others.

Hank

Hank

• Like 2

I truly did want to come across as negative but to frame challenges between a short day trip to the islands and better spending time there for a land based stay.
I too have driven all through Italy, from Sicily to Trento, big cities and mountains and have cruised out of Italy and across the Med.  On a cruise, there’s just too narrow a time frame that any unexpected change can really mess up a day. 
This story is from just last summer explains a recent problem: https://apnews.com/article/italy-train-strike-highspeed-rail-tourist-729de41233531b51a8aa054d6e2da31f

I’d still stick to land trips that you can get back to the ship via car service, if needed, and save the wonderful islands for a future land based trip. Maybe I’m too cautious from experience but it’s important, to me, to show more rookie travelers some of  the potential challenges of Italian travel. 

Edited by NE John

11 hours ago, NE John said:

I truly did want to come across as negative but to frame challenges between a short day trip to the islands and better spending time there for a land based stay.
I too have driven all through Italy, from Sicily to Trento, big cities and mountains and have cruised out of Italy and across the Med.  On a cruise, there’s just too narrow a time frame that any unexpected change can really mess up a day. 
This story is from just last summer explains a recent problem: https://apnews.com/article/italy-train-strike-highspeed-rail-tourist-729de41233531b51a8aa054d6e2da31f

I’d still stick to land trips that you can get back to the ship via car service, if needed, and save the wonderful islands for a future land based trip. Maybe I’m too cautious from experience but it’s important, to me, to show more rookie travelers some of  the potential challenges of Italian travel. 

That strike was scheduled months in advance. It should not have taken anyone by surprise. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, and the article was written to be sensational, otherwise who would read it?  The strike was known, alternate transportation could have been arranged well in advance.  For any publisher to allow an undefined term like "frequent" is just shoddy journalism.  How often is "frequent"?  Is it 10% of the time, 50%, 90%?  The phrase communicates nothing.

I’ll be the devils advocate.   In our decades of travel in Europe,we have not been as fortunate as Hank.  We have encountered two airline strikes and French aircraft controllers strike.   A fire in Rome airport cancelled all flights and we had to find alternatives. We have had an Italian train stop for no reason,  we think it was dinner time.    Things can and do go wrong, in Venice there was a strike announced to start the next day for the vaporettos and alilaguna, but we were assured that one main route would function.   Surprise surprise it was not!   After waiting an hour in the rain with luggage we had to call a private water taxi.  

So while I agree,  independent travel is our preferred choice best be prepared.  And we still love Italy. 

We too have driven all over Italy,  we enjoy it but make a wide detour around Naples.   We have had to travel by taxi back and forth from Salerno to Naples and it was pretty congested.  We arrived well over an hour late for an appointment. 

Edited by bennybear

It's a matter of perspective and reasoned risk.

Does the occasional strike happen in Italy? Yes. Just like they happen anywhere. (Anyone keeping up with the news from Germany recently?)

But I think it's appropriate to take issue with people who suggest that strikes happen "frequently" or "all the time".  That's simply not true. 

If even 5% of the days in a calendar year were impacted by a significant rail strike, that would be 18 and 1/4 days' worth of strikes in a year. That just doesn't happen, generally. And even if there were 18 days of strikes, I would bet upward of 95% of those days would be announced well in advance.

And if 95% of days are not impacted by strikes, can we really call that "frequent"?

Cruising makes it about as easy as possible for people to travel. The ships' shore excursions guarantee to get you back to the ship OR if the ship has to leave, to get you to the ship at the next feasible port. Having said that, long-timers on these forums will have heard of times when ships cannot wait for passengers due to weather, or snafus occur that make it impossible for passengers to rejoin their ship for several days...or sometimes even the duration of their cruise.

Travel always involves stepping outside of one's comfort zone, whether slightly or a lot. But I wouldn't really view a day trip to Ischia (or Capri for that matter) as very risky as long as one does the obvious due diligence (e.g., weather, allowing for sufficient margin of error on timing, etc). 

After all....ships offer tours to Capri, and sometimes even Ischia. And guess what -- they are using the same ferries/hydrofoils as those who decide to go on their own. So...if the ferry can't get back, the ship is PROBABLY not going to leave an entire tour group behind. 

• Like 1