Buying Carnival Shares

ellie1145

31 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

I used IWeb Share Dealing

Another vote from me on iWeb, there is no annual account fee and very reasonable costs for trading.

It's £5 for UK trades or 1.5% for international trades.

The £100 account opening fee is waved until 31/12/23.
Virtually all other companies charge an annual fee to look after your shares so if you are keeping shares long term IWeb (Part of Lloyds) is an ideal choice.

Your biggest issue may be that whichever broker you use, it will likely be their nominee account that will be registered as the shareholder.   Essentially, they have a single shareholding registered with the company, and only they know the details of the shareholdings of each of their individual customers.

Perhaps other UK-based investors could comment on how they overcame this and who their broker is.

21 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Your biggest issue may be that whichever broker you use, it will likely be their nominee account that will be registered as the shareholder.   Essentially, they have a single shareholding registered with the company, and only they know the details of the shareholdings of each of their individual customers.

Perhaps other UK-based investors could comment on how they overcame this and who their broker is.

I can only comment on NCL as that is the only cruise shares I hold.
With NCL, you just send them a copy of you latest statement or a screen shot of your online account to show your holdings. I have done this multiple times without issue to get my shareholder OBC.

This is what they ask for:
A current brokerage statement (brokerage account number must be blacked out before submitting) showing proof of ownership of at least 100 shares

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

It will cost more but I think you can still get an actual share cert.

We bought years ago via the registrars  Equiniti   and had a digital holding.

Originally this was free then they wanted IIRC  £20  a year to hold an electronic record!!

As this was a change in contract I opted out and got a certificate.  If we sell

it will probably cost more  but as the share price has dropped so much  unlikely to sell.

Have had them so long the benefit claimed is in excess of the loss.

I did have a problem with Holland America as they dont seem to understand  a share

certificate is ultimate proof of ownership. I asked the nice people at Carnival Benefits UK if they

can handle it for our next cruise and they have said yes - if I send it to them they will pass it HAL

in the same office 🙂  and I will not have to go via the US.

As with most cruise lines the answer to any query can differ depending on who you speak to 😞

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Purchased them using DeGiro

From the DeGiro website

"This communication is issued on behalf of flatexDEGIRO Bank AG and has been approved as a financial promotion on 3rd August 2023, for the purposes of section 21 of the Financial Services Market Act 2000 (FSMA), by Resolution Compliance Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN:574048). flatexDEGIRO Bank AG is an overseas firm which is not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. This means that the FCA Rules made under FSMA for the protection of retail clients do not apply to the services provided by flatexDEGIRO Bank AG but investors are instead protected under applicable German law and Dutch law rules that apply to flatexDEGIRO Bank AG. Investors are not protected by the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

Dont know exactly what that means but would put me off