Venezia-Long Lines at the Buffet & Slippery Floors?

MsTabbyKats

I have a very good deal for a January sailing to the Bahamas; final payment is in about a month.

However, I'm really leery about taking this cruise.  (Deposit is non-refundable)

My husband is walking with a cane and has really bad balance.  We just got off the NCL Escape, and, for all intensive purposes, I was his butler.  Multiple trips to the buffet stations (we don't do MDR) were effortless.  The longest I had to wait in line was 2 minutes for an omelet.

I'm readling all these reviews about "one long line" and a very long wait for food.  In addition, multple reviews mention "slippery floors"....not good for those with balance issues.

Anyone care to comment......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I have a very good deal for a January sailing to the Bahamas; final payment is in about a month.

However, I'm really leery about taking this cruise.  (Deposit is non-refundable)

My husband is walking with a cane and has really bad balance.  We just got off the NCL Escape, and, for all intensive purposes, I was his butler.  Multiple trips to the buffet stations (we don't do MDR) were effortless.  The longest I had to wait in line was 2 minutes for an omelet.

I'm readling all these reviews about "one long line" and a very long wait for food.  In addition, multple reviews mention "slippery floors"....not good for those with balance issues.

Anyone care to comment......

First, I would recommend a good pair of comfortable well fitting slip resistant shoes,  especially if you are concerned about slippery floors.

Next, order something from room service the first day of the cruise, then keep the tray and store in in the closet.   Whenever you go to the buffet just take the tray with you.   Your husband can sit down safely, 'for all intents and purposes', without having to worry about failing.  Then you can go through the buffet line and easily carry both of your meals back on the tray to table where your husband is safely waiting.

Just make sure you keep the tray stored in the closet or your room steward will take it out when he cleans the room, and you won't have it to bring for the next trip to the buffet. 

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We just sailed on this ship. The lines were long at certain times but it moved quickly. We didn't really think the variety was worth the wait but did like the deli. Omelet station is quick as well. Then you can have burritos for breakfast or lunch, guys burgers, or pizza all fair. We preferred MDR this trip though, Grand Canal had brunch almost daily and we had early seating after the first night just showed up on time and sat ourselves.

Oh and yes the floors around the buffet outside area were very slippery at times wear deck shoes but still be careful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

What's the reason you "don't do MDR"? Frankly, it is much easier to navigate for someone who is mobility impaired. 

I do agree that MDR is a better place for those with mobility issues.

We don't do MDR because neither of us like the food.  In general, cruise food is bland, and we are spicy people.  Buffet gives us multiple options to get what we want and the portion we want.  (Transparency....eating out is not a big deal for us...we do it several times a week.  But, buffets are a novelty.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

We just sailed on this shTip. The lines were long at certain times but it moved quickly. We didn't really think the variety was worth the wait but did like the deli. Omelet station is quick as well. Then you can have burritos for breakfast or lunch, guys burgers, or pizza all fair. We preferred MDR this trip though, Grand Canal had brunch almost daily and we had early seating after the first night just showed up on time and sat ourselves.

Oh and yes the floors around the buffet outside area were very slippery at times wear deck shoes but still be careful.

You just reminded me...the only food I really cared for in the buffet was a panini from the deli.

We have 2 other cruises booked....I'll give DH all the pros/cons and let him make the final decision about this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I do agree that MDR is a better place for those with mobility issues.

We don't do MDR because neither of us like the food.  In general, cruise food is bland, and we are spicy people.  Buffet gives us multiple options to get what we want and the portion we want.  (Transparency....eating out is not a big deal for us...we do it several times a week.  But, buffets are a novelty.)

I have had much more spicy foods at the MDR than at the Lido buffet.

• Like 3

We don't do MDR because neither of us like the food. Buffet gives us multiple options to get what we want and the portion we want. 

the only food I really cared for in the buffet was a panini from the deli.

Hi @MsTabbyKats🙂

This is confusing. 

🍹

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @MsTabbyKats🙂

This is confusing. 

🍹

Sorry about that!

In general, a buffet offers lots of options, and you can get what you want and as much of it that you want.

In thinking back, I never really cared for Carnival buffets (compared to NCL buffets).  Not as many choices....food not as good.  On the last cruise (Magic...Sept 2022) the only thing I really liked was a specific panini from the deli in the buffet.  And there were lines for that!  I tried the MDR...and had a piece of salmon that areminded me of cardboard.  The waiter brought a subsitute...spaghetti in cheese with bacon.  No thank you.......

So...as you can see...as a generalization....when I go on Carnival I don't put on weight (which is a good thing)....but overall....despite the upcoming cruise being a wonderful value...with a cabin in a wonderful spot....I'm seeing too many potential problems.

Our (mine anyway) current preferred cruising venue is Yacht Club in the MSC Meraviglia.  It's not because of prestige or snob appeal....it's much easier and safer to navigate.  Not to mention the pizza (which I could live on for a week)!

• Like 2

Sorry about that!

In general, a buffet offers lots of options, and you can get what you want and as much of it that you want.

In thinking back, I never really cared for Carnival buffets (compared to NCL buffets).  Not as many choices....food not as good.  On the last cruise (Magic...Sept 2022) the only thing I really liked was a specific panini from the deli in the buffet.  And there were lines for that!  I tried the MDR...and had a piece of salmon that areminded me of cardboard.  The waiter brought a subsitute...spaghetti in cheese with bacon.  No thank you.......

So...as you can see...as a generalization....when I go on Carnival I don't put on weight (which is a good thing)....but overall....despite the upcoming cruise being a wonderful value...with a cabin in a wonderful spot....I'm seeing too many potential problems.

Our (mine anyway) current preferred cruising venue is Yacht Club in the MSC Meraviglia.  It's not because of prestige or snob appeal....it's much easier and safer to navigate.  Not to mention the pizza (which I could live on for a week)!

I've heard the same thing here and there about this ship among other things. I'm going with a smile and will see how it goes. I love that tray idea.

You had to mention MSC. MSC pizza is great and the yacht club ruined me. I get it being easier to navigate. Sitdown was right there if you chose and a nice buffet in the afternoon, not as many selections, but tasty and easy to navigate.  I just don't have the budget to continue on those YC prices.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sammee said:

I've heard the same thing here and there about this ship among other things. I'm going with a smile and will see how it goes. I love that tray idea.

You had to mention MSC. MSC pizza is great and the yacht club ruined me. I get it being easier to navigate. Sitdown was right there if you chose and a nice buffet in the afternoon, not as many selections, but tasty and easy to navigate.  I just don't have the budget to continue on those YC prices.

Yacht club interior is the best value at sea, especially with the Voyagers Club discount!  

@bigdog1958He has one of those....if we end up doing this cruise he'll be taking it along.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

First, I would recommend a good pair of comfortable well fitting slip resistant shoes,  especially if you are concerned about slippery floors.

Next, order something from room service the first day of the cruise, then keep the tray and store in in the closet.   Whenever you go to the buffet just take the tray with you.   Your husband can sit down safely, 'for all intents and purposes', without having to worry about failing.  Then you can go through the buffet line and easily carry both of your meals back on the tray to table where your husband is safely waiting.

Just make sure you keep the tray stored in the closet or your room steward will take it out when he cleans the room, and you won't have it to bring for the next trip to the buffet. 

Can't you just request a tray? I feel like that's a reasonable accommodation for someone. But maybe I just don't get it.

I was on the 8/31 sailing. The lines were there depending on the time of day but they moved pretty quickly. When we did eat at the buffet, I mostly grabbed food from the deli as that seemed more appetizing to me. I would recommend the MDR. 

The lido deck and buffet area is SUPER slippery. I wore sneakers and was sliding with almost every step. Definitely need to walk slow in certain areas. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Starlos68dt said:

I was on the 8/31 sailing. The lines were there depending on the time of day but they moved pretty quickly. When we did eat at the buffet, I mostly grabbed food from the deli as that seemed more appetizing to me. I would recommend the MDR. 

The lido deck and buffet area is SUPER slippery. I wore sneakers and was sliding with almost every step. Definitely need to walk slow in certain areas. 

I find it strange that it is slippery.  Is it just the surface, or is there some oil not being mopped up properly?

8 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

I find it strange that it is slippery.  Is it just the surface, or is there some oil not being mopped up properly?

I think it was more of the surface. Maybe the humidity played a role also. My wife wore sandals and it didn't seem to affect her as much as me. I had on pretty flat nike sneakers so I'm sure that didn't help. 

The stairs and area getting into the main pool were also slippery. It's like a cushioned rubber floor with no texture for grip. 

Edited by Starlos68dt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starlos68dt said:

Thanks....

I'm actually booked on the Lido...was so happy about that when I booked.  I just aked TA if I could be reassigned without losing my OBC,  If it's a "no".....then we'll probably cancel.

I appreciate all the suggestions.  The thing is....I'm not trying to solve a problem (go to MDR etc) but I'm trying to avoid a problem.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 2:57 PM, DrSea said:

Can't you just request a tray? I feel like that's a reasonable accommodation for someone. But maybe I just don't get it.

They don't have trays anymore, but generally they're happy to arrange for a crew member to carry your food to your table for you.

• Like 1

For all intents and purposes this ship should have had more than one "caution - slippery floor" sign in use. People on one side of the room were cautioned while those on the other side were not aware of the slippery conditions.

We miss your buffet reviews and general comments from you many cruises from NYC aboard the Miracle. We learned a lot from you. Happy sails to you and yours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starlos68dt said:

I think it was more of the surface. Maybe the humidity played a role also. My wife wore sandals and it didn't seem to affect her as much as me. I had on pretty flat nike sneakers so I'm sure that didn't help. 

The stairs and area getting into the main pool were also slippery. It's like a cushioned rubber floor with no texture for grip. 

The jury's in.  Between a rise in price and a reduction of obc. ..it would be a $500 difference to change cabins.

In addition....DH likes the pool.so "a cushioned rubber floor with no grip".....no thanks.

I'm glad I read reviews..... IMHO....for various reasons this ship wouldn't have been a good fit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mz-s said:

They don't have trays anymore, but generally they're happy to arrange for a crew member to carry your food to your table for you.

Yes many times a thoughtful staff member will notice you need help and assist you. I think in  this “post Covid era” it’s rare so you might have to ask. Many have brought their own trays. I know shaky beef does this! They don’t take up any Room in your suitcase and you can get them at the $store for $1.25 lol 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@Old Fart CruisersThanks for the tray idea.  I'm gonna look for one.

Like I said earlier, if you order something from room service (continental breakfast is free delivery), and just keep that tray.  I don't think you will find any trays available on the deck.  

Also, I think the slippery floors that people referred to might be in the uncovered seating area in back by the pool.