Shareholder Benefit (and other OBC)

blueexpedition29

2 minutes ago, Xerxes10 said:

I mailed in my OBC shareholder request about 10 days ago and I it's not shown in "Manage This Cruise/" How long does it usually take to post the credit?

I always email my request and usually hear back in two days, but don’t remember how long it takes to show up in My Account.  It also shows up on your final invoice.

17 hours ago, Xerxes10 said:

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I got my shareholder benefit today after posting this question yesterday.

May I ask please? - how far in advance of your cruise did you submit the shareholder form? Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Xerxes10 said:

Our next cruise leaves Miami Mar 25th, so we submitted the form a little more than 6 months ahead.

Thank you.  That's much earlier than I thought and will be helpful for our next cruise - also in March. Maybe the same one - Grandeur Miami to NY?

5 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

You can submit the form up to 1-2 months before you sail.

As others above have noted you can submit at any time in advance of cruise; no need to wait until a month or two ahead. I submitted request this past July for a cruise in February of 2025, about 20 months ahead of the cruise and got an email back with the approval within 72 hours.

2 hours ago, LvnCruisin said:

Ok, I've tried searching how many shares do I need and what will I get from them, meeting with our financial advisor soon. Realy would like to invest.

The benefit depends on cruise length and starts at 100 obc per suite.  

8 hours ago, LvnCruisin said:

Ok, I've tried searching how many shares do I need and what will I get from them, meeting with our financial advisor soon. Realy would like to invest.

Bottom of rssc website is "For Investors"; it links to NCLH web page. Hit "Shareholder Benefits - info and forms. 

Yesterday, NCLH was up 11.52%. but in the last 52 weeks it is up only 1.79% including yesterday's gain. As of yesterday's close, is it worth $1,728 dollars to buy 100 shares to receive a couple hundred dollars of OBC where their cost of goods is minimal?

IMO, it's not wise to purchase stock if the only reason is receiving OBC.  NCLH also doesn't pay any dividend.  I suggest asking your financial advisor his feeling about NCLH's potential price growth.

In January 2021, expecting cruise lines to gain with the end of covid, I am down almost 23% with NCLH while the same purchase of RCL June 2020, is up 86%.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Yesterday, NCLH was up 11.52%. but in the last 52 weeks it is up only 1.79% including yesterday's gain. As of yesterday's close, is it worth $1,728 dollars to buy 100 shares to receive a couple hundred dollars of OBC where their cost of goods is minimal?

IMO, it's not wise to purchase stock if the only reason is receiving OBC.  NCLH also doesn't pay any dividend.  I suggest asking your financial advisor his feeling about NCLH's potential price growth.

In January 2021, expecting cruise lines to gain with the end of covid, I am down almost 23% with NCLH while the same purchase of RCL June 2020, is up 86%.

@ChucktownSteve You’re right that NCLH hasn’t been a great investment. If you think of the shareholder credit as a return on that investment it looks like a pretty good dividend. A $100 OBC is about 6% of $1728. Longer cruises or more cruises drives the dividend up. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

@ChucktownSteve You’re right that NCLH hasn’t been a great investment. If you think of the shareholder credit as a return on that investment it looks like a pretty good dividend. A $100 OBC is about 6% of $1728. Longer cruises or more cruises drives the dividend up. 

Non-taxable!

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

That’s one way to look at it if you were going to spend the cash on what you’re forced to buy while on the cruise at probably an inflated price. 

My DW got several Mary Francis purses.  However, what else is there to use it on Regent worth the dividend?

I’d rather invest it in something that gives a much greater return on investment, then spend that on my cruise.  

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

That’s one way to look at it if you were going to spend the cash on what you’re forced to buy while on the cruise at probably an inflated price. 

My DW got several Mary Francis purses.  However, what else is there to use it on Regent worth the dividend?

I’d rather invest it in something that gives a much greater return on investment, then spend that on my cruise.  

I purchased shares when price tanked to $10 at the beginning of Covid. On Regent I plan to use the OBC for a higher-priced excursion, not on more stuff I really don’t need. It enhances my cruise experience. Since I’m planning 3 cruises over the next 3 years, some with larger payouts, I will end up with 75% ROI with more in the future.

Linda

I own NCL stock and I was turned down for the on board credit on our upcoming cruise. The reason given was that I had bought the cruise through a discount travel agent. I've booked Seabourn though them in the past and gotten my Carnival benefits.  They stated that they had an obligation to their shareholders. But I am a shareholder, so I really think this is bad public relations.

On 9/14/2023 at 8:30 AM, douginct said:

May I ask please? - how far in advance of your cruise did you submit the shareholder form? Thanks.

We always submit ours about 13 months in advance of sailing.  We do that so it is applied before the window to book excursions opens up.  As others have noted, we usually use our shareholder (and other OBC) to book either Regent Choice shore excursions or the Culinary Arts Classes.  We prefer experiences to things from the on-board shops we don't need.  In the past we've also used it for SPA services but found them mixed in quality--and now the prices have really skyrocketed, so value has declined.  As others have noted, however, you can submit it as soon as you book it appears.

• Like 2