One Dollar Deposit

CNSJ

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

???? Not following this logic ????

What we don't know is HAL's intention with the sale, but since HAL keeps offering it, doesn't that mean it IS working (for whatever it is that HAL intends)?

To use your words, "Otherwise why would HAL keep using it again and again?"

Sometimes, there's 'dysfunction' in the executive offices. They've got to meet sales numbers for the quarter. So, they offer cheap deposits to get the numbers. Paying the piper later, when they've got to keep offering cheap deposits.

The problem for customers is that HAL is also trying to prop up the prices until FP. So, pax who have made FP discover that they're paying thousands more than others.

The problem from the marketing POV is that customers (like me) no longer trust HAL. Next year, I have bookings for Explora, MSC YC and Ponant. But, none for HAL. I might pick up a last minute HAL deal; or maybe not.

Its a bad sign when you see cheap deposits AND collapsing prices in the final weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Sometimes, there's 'dysfunction' in the executive offices. They've got to meet sales numbers for the quarter. So, they offer cheap deposits to get the numbers. Paying the piper later, when they've got to keep offering cheap deposits.

The problem for customers is that HAL is also trying to prop up the prices until FP. So, pax who have made FP discover that they're paying thousands more than others.

The problem from the marketing POV is that customers (like me) no longer trust HAL. Next year, I have bookings for Explora, MSC YC and Ponant. But, none for HAL. I might pick up a last minute HAL deal; or maybe not.

Its a bad sign when you see cheap deposits AND collapsing prices in the final weeks.

That is like Alaska this year - it seems like they were giving it away - I took advantage of two weeks - and in Canadian dollars no less. I met one couple - residents of Vancouver, who were on their third two week cruise of the current year to Alaska, and were going again this month. In their words - and I must agree - they cannot live at home that cheaply.

• Like 3

Just now, SUESEABE said:

I thought that the $1 deposit offer excludes Grand Voyages. 🤔

It is only select cruises.  I looked at a few of interest, not grands, and they were not included.  If you first click the promotional button then filter you get only included cruises .  I don’t recall if grands were included or not 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Not that surprised they are  make it refundable (It is only $1). If not, people would just let it go to final payment and then let it go without payment (foregoing that $1), so at least this way they have a shot of people cancelling earlier if/when they decided the aren't going.

If you choose the “best fare” without HIA  the  deposit is nonrefundable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

I thought that the $1 deposit offer excludes Grand Voyages. 🤔

I looked again and this one pops up under $1 deposit. Here, I centered the screenshot better and this 133 day is definitely there. $1 down and $26,398 to go

IMG_6795.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

@Mary229 Terms & Conditions indicate Grands not included.

I have sworn off grands anyway until HAL brings back a good enrichment package.  They used to be worth the extra per diem but not in the current climate of cost cutting and homogeneity of programs. 

• Like 1

We didn't get in on the $1.00 deposit sale, we just booked our "future cruise" while we were on Zaandam last week. We booked on board to get the $100.00 deposit and the extra OBC, it was also an "Early Booking" so the Have it All included the premium beverages, the upgraded internet and "crew appreciation". We felt it was a fair deal and it only ties up $200.00 which is refundable.

I say if you got the cruise you wanted booked, with the cabin you want, and you only had to cough up $1.00 per person then good on you. I dare say those who whine about these promotions, are those who didn't get what they wanted. I also wonder if those who question the motives of the multi bookers are simply angry they weren't able to get the multiple cabins they wanted to hold and choose later.

So if it works out good for you and you got your low deposit booking and intend to actually cruise, good on ya. And if your multiple bookings that you made and don't intend to use, don't work out for you...Oh well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SUESEABE said:

@kelliebiz

Very odd. 🤔  I filtered January 2025 and Volendam and only came up with one result, which is 

21-Day Ultimate Caribbean

SHIP Volendam

DEPARTS

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

ARRIVES

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

JAN 4, 2025JAN 25, 2025

The 133 day pole to pole on Volendam was positively included in the $1 deposit. I almost booked it. Took it all the way thru to payment, but booked a separate 22 day and 35 day instead.

HAL was being very gracious in the cruises this last $1 deposit applied to.

• Like 4

For pax, the $1 deposit can be useful. For those uncertain about their plans, the $1 deposit can be forfeit without regret. For those certain about their plans, the $1 deposit is irrelevant. Seasoned cruisers will use their FCD.

IMO, the main reason that $1 deposits are forfeited is that pax realize that there are better and cheaper cruises elsewhere. Princess offers a 40% discount, goodbye HAL!!

Isn't competition great!

I'm glad that there are so many cruisers happy with HAL, and willing to pay top dollar. Mucho Gracias!!!

As for HAL, many itineraries finally sell at under C$100/day pp. That just covers the price of a dinner at a decent restaurant downtown. I have no doubt that HAL will be able to fill the ships eventually. There will be many upgrading from Carnival.

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Seasoned cruisers will use their FCD.

Not necessarily.

1) Not all seasoned cruisers have a future cruise deposit specifically from HAL.

2) Even if I did have a FCD for HAL I would save it for a cruise that required a higher deposit and use the $1 deposit feature that was offered yesterday. Why waste a perfectly good FCD when you can make a $1 deposit? To me, the extra OBC would not be worth it. 

I just thought of another question. Let's say I had a FCD with the extra OBC. Couldn't I use the $1 deposit, and as it got close to final payment switch the booking (or rebook) to use the FCD and it's OBC? Not sure how that would work. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

It's amazing how some people who once were Happy with HAL now have so much disdain for them. So much so that they come on here just to tell you in any way they can how the company is failing miserably and then eventually dub anyone with something positive to say as a fan or cheerleader. If the 150 year old company is doomed to fail let it go peacefully instead of talking about it badly to everyone at its wake!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

For the people saying they raised their prices for the $1.00 deposit, I guess it depends on the cruise. I had been looking at Alaska for Sept., 2025 for a while, and the only thing holding me back was the $700.00 deposit. The price I got with the $1.00 deposit was exactly the same, also with the All In including tips on the Eurodam from Seattle. I couldn't be happier. I'm mostly checked in. Just don't want to dig around for the passports yet because we had just moved and things are still in a little disarray. In the meantime, I still have $698.00 extra available now. Can't wait.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just thought of another question. Let's say I had a FCD with the extra OBC. Couldn't I use the $1 deposit, and as it got close to final payment switch the booking (or rebook) to use the FCD and it's OBC? Not sure how that would work. 

As long as the price and offers are still the same as you approach final payment that would work. If booked with Early Booking bonus, then you would lose those rebooking close to final payment.

I am contemplating rebooking a cruise that was booked with HIA Early booking bonus as well as Mariner Early bonus, but with full deposit. We are on a cruise in a couple of weeks, and I may rebook the with FCD to lower the deposit (don't really care about that) to get the FCD OBC bonus and the newer AARP bonus. We would lose the Mariner Early bonus, but it looks like we should still come out ahead in the end if the pricing is stable.

And here i though all my math skills would go to waste after retiring. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

It's amazing how some people who once were Happy with HAL now have so much disdain for them.

Yet, there are many of us that are happy with HAL today.  Change happens in every industry and this forum provides and opportunity for people to express their feelings.  It seems every day I read a post about how grand and wonderful PRINSENDAM was, and how the Pinnacle Class is horrible....etc. 

My recent hotel stays ashore in several countries tell me the whole industry has changed.  

It appears ships are sailing close to or at capacity.  Maybe HAL is working its way back to the new normal.

I have six cruises booked in coming 24 months.  I am happy.  I would not be happy to pay twice the price on Oceania.  Note:  I sail in standard verandah cabins. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

If those people that hold HAL in disdain would go the Celebrity's forum. Then they'd know what disdain is. They are charging more and taking away more

Many cruise lines now seem to be following the airlines business model, pay more to get less!

5yxfux2j.png.1ce8cdac67114aafb9d74f738f88ef45.png

• Haha 3