Is Uber reliable to get from Galveston Port to IAH? Other suggestions?

Dreamscaper

We're a party of four wondering how reliable Uber is from getting from the cruise port terminal over to IAH after our cruise.  We've heard conflicting reports and wondering if anyone has any experience using them recently.  We'd likely book an XL for the comfort but could live with a standard ride if needed.  If you don't recommend Uber, are there other private car companies you'd recommend?

Note we're looking for a private car (hoping it's not crazy expensive) as we're apprehensive about how long and packed the shuttle buses would be.

Also of note, it looks like RCL will have a ship landing in port on the same day as our Princess cruise, so there will be competition from people booking from *two* ships.

If the massive shuttle buses really aren't that bad we'd be interested in hearing whether we should just suck it up.

Thanks for any help!

5 hours ago, Dreamscaper said:

We're a party of four wondering how reliable Uber is from getting from the cruise port terminal over to IAH after our cruise.  We've heard conflicting reports and wondering if anyone has any experience using them recently.  We'd likely book an XL for the comfort but could live with a standard ride if needed.  If you don't recommend Uber, are there other private car companies you'd recommend?

Note we're looking for a private car (hoping it's not crazy expensive) as we're apprehensive about how long and packed the shuttle buses would be.

Also of note, it looks like RCL will have a ship landing in port on the same day as our Princess cruise, so there will be competition from people booking from *two* ships.

If the massive shuttle buses really aren't that bad we'd be interested in hearing whether we should just suck it up.

Thanks for any help!

We booked a private car from Galveston Limo.  Cadillac Sedan, $235 each way  tip included.  There are other alternatives.  Suggest  you  use google to identify them.  I found some external sites with extensive information on shuttle services but I've already been informed that linking to these sites is against the T&C for CC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We booked a private car from Galveston Limo.  Cadillac Sedan, $235 each way  tip included.  There are other alternatives.  Suggest  you  use google to identify them.  I found some external sites with extensive information on shuttle services but I've already been informed that linking to these sites is against the T&C for CC.

Thank you - I did extensive googling last night before I sent this message and did in fact put in a quote request with Galveston Limo, which I received this morning.  I was just hoping for some more personal reviews/experiences/options :)  After a while your (my) head starts swimming lol

(for the record we were quoted $374.61 total, but that's probably because we're a party of four and need an SUV)

Edited by Dreamscaper
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 2:23 AM, Dreamscaper said:

We almost always use the ships shuttle buses at the end of the cruise to get to an airport.  It makes it much simpler.  If you decide on Uber I would suggest making an advance RSVP otherwise you might be stuck at the pier/airport waiting for a driver to take your fare or worse yet the Uber server is overloaded and you can't even get on to book.  

On 9/12/2023 at 11:53 AM, Dreamscaper said:

Thank you - I did extensive googling last night before I sent this message and did in fact put in a quote request with Galveston Limo, which I received this morning.  I was just hoping for some more personal reviews/experiences/options 🙂 After a while your (my) head starts swimming lol

(for the record we were quoted $374.61 total, but that's probably because we're a party of four and need an SUV)

One  thing to remember is that $374.61 is for your entire party.  The shuttle buses are per person.  May  turn out to be about the same.  Plus, with the limo, you have control over when you depart.  

Have you tried Tripadvisor?  Since Tripadvisor owns cruise critic, I've not received any push back from referencing them.  Search on limo and galveston.  They do have reviews.

23 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We almost always use the ships shuttle buses at the end of the cruise to get to an airport.  It makes it much simpler.  If you decide on Uber I would suggest making an advance RSVP otherwise you might be stuck at the pier/airport waiting for a driver to take your fare or worse yet the Uber server is overloaded and you can't even get on to book.  

Per Uber web site booking a reservation does not guarantee a car.

Edited by TequilaJane
spelling

1 hour ago, TequilaJane said:

Per Uber web site booking a reservation does not guarantee a car.

Kind of true no matter who you use.  We have never had an Uber RSVP not show up.  We have had the server site not allow us to book when we wanted one and we have had no drivers want to take out fare.  Last year we walked directly out of the San Pedro terminal to our RSVP Uber XL.  Many others had been standing at the curb for 20-30 minutes and still didn't have a confirmed Uber ride.  But anything can happen.       

• Like 1

Thank you all.  We were thinking of pre-booking an Uber but yes we are concerned they may not honour the reservation (apparently it is Rally Weekend that weekend as well), so we will just book the Princess shuttle after all.  As many have said "anything can happen" and sticking with Princess is the guaranteed safe bet.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 1:28 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

you might be stuck at the pier/airport waiting for a driver to take your fare or worse yet the Uber server is overloaded and you can't even get on to book.  

We tried to book Uber after disembarking but after a while it canceled saying no drivers available. Wishing we had booked https://galvestonexpress.com - we read good things.

Since our flight was very late in the day we walked out of the port hoping to kill time at a restaurant. A car pulled up saying he’s an Uber driver and can take us there for $25 more than the going rate on the app which is already twice the normal rate. Took the chance and luckily he was good.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help and input!  We got twitchy knowing Uber isn't 100% guaranteed, so we booked with Galveston Limo instead.  They're running a sale on right now for $28 per person to either airport.  The 9:05 and 10:05 were sold out for IAH, but we were able to get seats on the 11:05.  Our flight doesn't leave until 4:30 pm so that should be plenty of time.

We'd really prefer the private car with Uber, but we can't take the risk of the reservation not being honoured on the extremely busy weekend we dock.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 2:03 PM, Dreamscaper said:

Thank you all for your help and input!  We got twitchy knowing Uber isn't 100% guaranteed, so we booked with Galveston Limo instead.  They're running a sale on right now for $28 per person to either airport.  The 9:05 and 10:05 were sold out for IAH, but we were able to get seats on the 11:05.  Our flight doesn't leave until 4:30 pm so that should be plenty of time.

We'd really prefer the private car with Uber, but we can't take the risk of the reservation not being honoured on the extremely busy weekend we dock.

Is this a shared shuttle or limo for 4, you booked?

• 6 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, cmich068 said:

the $28 per person is for the shared shuttle operated by Galveston Limousine 

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how your experience was with Galveston Limo? How many people were on your shuttle? Was it a bus?  I booked the $28 pp airport shuttle. 

Edited by dmcfad2