I feel like a traitor...

john91498

For the first time in over 20+ years, we don't have a single Carnival cruise planned for the following year.

My boss, the wife, wanted to try a different line for 2024. So, we have 2 cruises next year on RCL, the Ovation and the Navigator.

It feels surreal that I'm not going on Carnival next year...

• Like 4

HAHAHA I was in this situation a few weeks ago with my MSC cruise. But you know what? It was the best thing ever, it made cruising feel fresh and new and exciting again! And now when I board the Mardi Gras on Saturday, I will feel like I am going "home." I am glad I jumped ship and tried a new line. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Our first cruise in 2003 was on carnival, then we went RCL, then we went 12 straight cruise on carnival, and last year tried RCL a second time.  We are booked on the Mardis Gras in Nov and will probably stay Carnival for a while (unless the Mardis Gras disappoints, which I have no reason to believe it will).  May try the Icon at somepoint...but I get your point, the entire time we were on RCL last Nov, I was missing carnival. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with trying out other brands and see if they are a match. We occasionally spread out our wings and try other lines as well. We have a Viking Mississippi river cruise coming up (not apples to apples, but still). We sailed Celebrity last November and Royal right before the shutdown in 2020. But we always seem to find ourselves "coming home to mama" and rebooking Carnival because that is our preferred brand and vibe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, my philosophy is, I am loyal to cruising! (First cruise in 1973.)

I have sailed on at least ten different lines, and three that no longer even exist!  So it is okay to jump around and see what other lines offer, and enjoy the experience.  When I want to feel historic and traditional and get all dressed up, I sail Cunard; when I want a great itinerary, I choose Celebrity or Princess and every once in a while Holland America; when family is involved they like NCL the most; finally, for just a great getaway FUN cruise I choose RCL and Carnival.  

Although we have sailed on Viking, we find the adults-only, no big shows, no dress-up experience not quite completely our cup of tea--we are way too old for Virgin, and we are still considering if we want to engage with the bargain approach of MSC.  I more or less crossed Costa off our list after a captain sank one of their ships. 

Have a wonderful time--bon voyage!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rizkeeper said:

May try the Icon at somepoint...but I get your point, the entire time we were on RCL last Nov, I was missing carnival. 

Prepare to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house for Icon. Just this morning icon was released thru spring 2026. People are saying...NO. .. and I have wonder and utopia both booked in 2025. Some booked Icon when the first bookings came out and got deals a year ago. .. now ... my TA posted so far he hasnt had even one inquiry to book at these rates this morning. Idk but read insides 3k, balcony 5k. Of course I get a big discount, group, balcony and solo .. not one person is posting they are booking Icon at these rates. Wonder was 3k ish for inside balcony, these are 2k more than wonder. I'm a no.

Utopia is just as new (hasnt started yet) but going to do 3/4 days. My 4 day 1k ..so double is about 2k. Vs 7 days on Icon. No way for me either. Maybe no one will book and prices will come down. I didnt realize this ship built for families and more 3/4 cabins than others. Mardi gras looking pretty good?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I didnt realize this ship built for families and more 3/4 cabins than others

Isn’t ironic that a ship built for families is so very expensive?  When everyday people are complaining about the price of gas and other necessities, how are those same people expected to afford a cruise on this Iconic vessel? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DigiPro said:

Isn’t ironic that a ship built for families is so very expensive?  When everyday people are complaining about the price of gas and other necessities, how are those same people expected to afford a cruise on this Iconic vessel? 

The aren't. Those with fixed or limited incomes throw out discretionary spending immediately to afford the basics. And it likely isn't going to get better anytime soon.

We are lucky enough to be able to have disposable income but even we have been tightening our belts a little bit around the house getting rid of services and things we dont need.

• Like 4

Good memories on Navigator, was our very first cruise (our honeymoon) for her inaugural cruise.  Started our love of cruising, tried a couple others besides Carnival and RCCL but they were one offs, stuck with CCL and RCCL overall. 

We were on Mardi Gras last December and on again this coming December as we found that ship most like the setup on RCCL with the sections and neighborhoods and we like that.  Its good to experience other cruise lines as it will show you not only the differences (good and bad), but also, you will be more aware of what you really like.  

• Like 1

I have been lucky enough to do four cruises this year. On four different cruise lines! I am currently on my first ever NCL cruise and really enjoying it.

We were on Carnival two weeks ago, so I am pretty conscious of the differences.

Honestly, this cruise feels throwback. We picked up our cabin keys in the terminal. We shared a table in the dining room for embarkation lunch. We get menus in the dining room, and the dessert menu is separate, given after the meal. The daily newsletter is delivered to the cabin the evening before, and it has ads for the spa and shopping (that I throw away). I am really enjoying it!

My next two bookings are on Celebrity and Carnival, but based on this cruise so far, I will be looking carefully at Norwegian in the future.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

HAHAHA I was in this situation a few weeks ago with my MSC cruise. But you know what? It was the best thing ever, it made cruising feel fresh and new and exciting again! And now when I board the Mardi Gras on Saturday, I will feel like I am going "home." I am glad I jumped ship and tried a new line. 

This reminded me I need to go back and finish reading your MSC review! I got caught up in work and getting ready for our 8/26 Disney Fantasy cruise and have some catching up to do now.

We have three cruises booked on Carnival - Celebration in December and a B2B on Vista in April. I just booked our first Celebrity cruise for January 2025 and I'm still looking forward to trying out MSC and NCL within the next year or two. We love Carnival and I don't feel like we'll ditch them but we're ready to branch out a bit as well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Knights on the Beach said:

This reminded me I need to go back and finish reading your MSC review! I got caught up in work and getting ready for our 8/26 Disney Fantasy cruise and have some catching up to do now.

We have three cruises booked on Carnival - Celebration in December and a B2B on Vista in April. I just booked our first Celebrity cruise for January 2025 and I'm still looking forward to trying out MSC and NCL within the next year or two. We love Carnival and I don't feel like we'll ditch them but we're ready to branch out a bit as well.

You get on the Vista the day I disembark from my girls' cruise! 🙂 I will TRY and leave some fun onboard for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am 2 cruises short of Diamond. I have a cruise booked in October and January. After that, I will try other cruise lines. Of course, I will not forget to use my free cruise I receive  for me and my wife after becoming Diamond. However, I am ready to try something different.

6 hours ago, john91498 said:

It feels surreal that I'm not going on Carnival next year...

A couple we know are leaving on their first NCL cruise this week and it's also their first non-Carnival cruise. I'm very eager to hear all about it when they get back. I'm thinking I'd like to try a different one, too. In the last few years, Carnival has implemented some cost-cutting measures that have, in my opinion, hurt the quality of the experience in certain areas, and it seems like they continue to do it. So I'm curious what else is out there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

I am 2 cruises short of Diamond. I have a cruise booked in October and January. After that, I will try other cruise lines. Of course, I will not forget to use my free cruise I receive  for me and my wife after becoming Diamond. However, I am ready to try something different.

There is a free cruise for turning diamond? I hadnt seen this before. Do you have a link?

I've seen obc for 25 and 50 cruises but didnt see a free cruise. What are the terms? Thanks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pirate4me2 said:

You get on the Vista the day I disembark from my girls' cruise! 🙂 I will TRY and leave some fun onboard for you. 

Ah, dang it, so close! 

35 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

A couple we know are leaving on their first NCL cruise this week and it's also their first non-Carnival cruise. I'm very eager to hear all about it when they get back. I'm thinking I'd like to try a different one, too. In the last few years, Carnival has implemented some cost-cutting measures that have, in my opinion, hurt the quality of the experience in certain areas, and it seems like they continue to do it. So I'm curious what else is out there.

Unfortunately, it seems like many of the cruise lines have also had cutbacks - at least people are complaining about them on the other boards. I figure I don't know how it used to be on Celebrity (or whatever line we decide to try), so I won't miss anything. 🙂

44 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

There is a free cruise for turning diamond? I hadnt seen this before. Do you have a link?

I've seen obc for 25 and 50 cruises but didnt see a free cruise. What are the terms? Thanks. 

Well crap. I thought Carnival offered a free cruise for the individual becoming diamond. That would be 50% off for 2 people. We would still have to pay port charges for the person becoming Diamond. Did they do away with this Diamond benefit. If so, I should have left before now. 

16 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

Well crap. I thought Carnival offered a free cruise for the individual becoming diamond. That would be 50% off for 2 people. We would still have to pay port charges for the person becoming Diamond. Did they do away with this Diamond benefit. If so, I should have left before now. 

As I posted in another thread kve been around for 20 years and never heard of this. They do allow a free upgrade, a one time thing. My current cruise is sold out so I cant, but down the road. 

The 25 and 50th cruise you get obc for the amount. 25% of your cruisefare .. and be aware if there are 2 of you booked they mean 25% of just your fare. If your partner also wants to use his obc they can also on the same cruise. So for most its 25% off half the cruisefare you booked as obc, not a discount.

I too want my one time upgrade .. maybe next cruise I can get it.

Edited by firefly333

maybe this is what I was thinking about. Is this still available?

Carnival Cruise Line

Carnival does not offer a free cruise to its members of the VIFP Club.    Diamond is the top tier of the loyalty program and requires at least 200 points.

While there is no free cruise here, you can at least get a one-time free cabin upgrade or a 3rd guest sailing free once the Diamond level is reached.  Some other perks for this top tier include a complimentary meal for two at a specialty restaurant and unlimited wash and fold laundry service.