Packing List for Men?

GMIAC

I'm contemplating my packing list for evenings for my first RSS cruise, a 7-night Western Caribbean. Since there's laundry service I can take advantage of, I'm thinking two pairs of slacks, three long-sleeved shirts, and one jacket/sport coat I may or may not wear once or twice throughout the week. No ties. Does this sound reasonable?

I hate checking bags. The last time I checked a bag was in 2012 when I took a big-ass jar of olive salad back from New Orleans for my brother-in-law. No, it didn't break. 

What do you typically pack?

Pretty much what you are doing.  But I also like to pack underwear and sox.  I take 1 casual pair of shoes and one pair of black loafers and one pair of flip flops for the pool deck or beaches.  Two pair shorts, 3 polo shirts.  6 t shirts.  Add toiletries (minimal) and meds (not so minimal) and I travel in a rollaboard and my computer bag (man bag!) A nice carry on is all anyone really needs these days.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Carryon only works if you drive to port or pick up liquid toiletries in port city.  I also believe that its best, regardless of how large the suites are on Regent, that your wife and mistress are in separate suites.

The only liquid toiletries we need that can't be packed is sunscreen. We typically make a stop at Target to get this once we arrive when we have a rental car; we go to Hawaii a lot. Does Regent provide sunscreen at the pool? If not, I can order some and have it delivered to our pre-cruise hotel. 

Just now, RELS said:

Swimsuit, maybe even two. A rash guard, if you are snorkeling, because the sun is fierce. Walking shoes -- if they're black they can double as your evening shoes. Your own mask and snorkel.

Not appropriate evening wear, but thanks.  😜

I have a pair of those leather "sneakers" with the white soles, which can dress up or down. I thought of taking those. They're a bit more casual than black loafers, but more versatile too.

Are nice dressy shorts ever worn in the evenings on casual nights? Like at Sette Mare? Not sure I'd go to the shows in shorts, and the other restaurants are more dressy. But then the lounges don't seem like shorts venues in the evenings either. Sorry, just thinking out loud. Or in print.

1 hour ago, RELS said:

And even then shorts aren't acceptable in the dining rooms, as I discovered to my chagrin in June.

How about at Sette Mare, if you're sitting outside? There is outdoor seating there, no?

3 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Are nice dressy shorts ever worn in the evenings on casual nights? Like at Sette Mare? Not sure I'd go to the shows in shorts, and the other restaurants are more dressy. But then the lounges don't seem like shorts venues in the evenings either. Sorry, just thinking out loud. Or in print.

While shorts are not appropriate in the restaurants after 6, even if you are just walking around the ship, you may find it too chilly for shorts. It often seems quite cold in most venues at night. 

• Thanks 1

Extracts from Regent's very simple & straightforward dress code which may be found in the FAQ section of the website:

"Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. (On the night prior to disembarkation, ........ , we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual)

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual ............ Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner"

1 minute ago, flossie009 said:

Extracts from Regent's very simple & straightforward dress code which may be found in the FAQ section of the website:

"Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. (On the night prior to disembarkation, ........ , we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual)

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual ............ Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner"

Thanks. I want to make sure we dress appropriately.

• Like 1

I'm on the same cruise. I probably will not take a sport coat, but will take a light weight sweater as many venues are cold (at least for me). Also I will take 2 bathing suits, with the balance of clothing similar to you.

Edited by dabear
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dabear said:

I'm on the same cruise. I probably will not take a sport coat, but will take a light weight sweater as many venues are cold (at least for me). Also I will take 2 bathing suits, with the balance of clothing similar to you.

I’m not an over packer and typically take only what I’ll need, but I will take a sport coat even if I don’t end up wearing it. Better to have and not need. 

I typically take a couple of sports jackets, for several reasons:

—I look better in a jacket (somewhat covers my paunch and somewhat hides my poor posture),

—as the dining room is often on the cool side, they keep me warmer (light or summer weight garments),

—an admitted “clothes-horse”, I like wearing nice items,

—these are casual, some “unconstructed” jackets that I would rarely wear to the office (call it my cruise-wear).

sometimes I see more men in jackets; other evenings or other cruises, fewer. Each to their own…

• Like 4

I think you sound like me in that when on vacation, if I wear something on, say, Tuesday and then wear the same ensemble again on Friday, no big deal (it's not like I am ever going to see my fellow cruisers again anytime soon.  Unfortunately, my wife doesn't share these same values but this is a conversation (uh, argument) for another day...)

But I also take a hat (a cool fedora.  If you are comfortable with this look, no one will even notice that you are wearing the same sport coat or pants multiple times! 😀)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pcardad said:

You may wear shorts on the outside decks and around the pool after 6PM....confirmed with corporate and two GM's. We often order room service and have a light meal under the stars on the highest deck - no one is around and it is very nice.

Had not thought of that. We will try it next cruise….sounds nice.

As far as packing, my husband takes three changes for day time wear and two for evening and two pairs of shoes. He says he doesn’t need more…. Then I put in a couple of more shirts, house slippers and a swim suit for him. I take four.mix and match outfits for daytime and three mix and match outfits for evening.with the evening stuff and daytime stuff somewhat interchangeable also. Plus swimsuit and some accessories and several pairs of shoes. We can’t handle more than a carry-on bag a piece any more. With free laundry really don’t need more even on a long cruise. And it is an excuse to buy something new on the trip!!  ..

• Thanks 1

When we first did it, we had it brought to the room. When we knew the F&B and GM, we asked if they would deliver to the deck and they said yes so that's how we ordered. Note: Every ship's management staff runs things differently - I cannot promise what works for on one ship will work on others. Worst case, you get it to your room and take it up yourselves. Personally, I am fine with this as there isn't a proper bone in my body.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gents, please leave your convertible trousers at home (or at least, only wear them before 6pm.) These are “pants” that zip off the legs and convert into shorts. We were on a segment of the world cruise last year and we’re shocked to see men wearing these treasures to dinner at night.  Though technically it satisfied the dress code (when the legs were zipped on), it looked rather sloppy. Same goes for hiking type shoes…don’t wear them at night! 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Gents, please leave your convertible trousers at home (or at least, only wear them before 6pm.) These are “pants” that zip off the legs and convert into shorts. We were on a segment of the world cruise last year and we’re shocked to see men wearing these treasures to dinner at night.  Though technically it satisfied the dress code (when the legs were zipped on), it looked rather sloppy. Same goes for hiking type shoes…don’t wear them at night! 

It is hard to police shoes as many have foot issues. Besides, if you start listing items you don't want others to wear....you open a can of worms when others respond in kind. Best to stick to the dress code and dress up (optionally) from there, yes?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

No. That is all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

So I shouldn't wear the shorts part and keep the legs in my pocket in case I start getting the side-eye from other passengers and need to zip them on? 🙃

Edited by GMIAC
  • Haha 3