Dress code in the dining room

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

So what? Does that mean if one person doesn't do it, everyone can't???

Royal seems to adapt things to the local market it is sailing from. 

I saw people turned away from the MDR in shorts on Anthem sailing from the UK last summer. It was the same on our Singapore departing cruises. 

Whenever we have sailed from Florida we have seen bare feet, bare chests, bikini’s and pyjamas in the MDR.

All cool with us but you would rarely or probably never see this in Europe so I think Royal adapts the ‘rules’ (for want of a better word) according to the market.

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

ROFL,  you really need to take a closer look the next time you're in Europe

What people wear doesn't bother me but I'm glad we are all different around the world. Who wants exactly the same experienece when we travel.

I'm formal when I travel from my native UK, I enjoyed ditching the formal and going smart designer in Italy as most of the passengers were Italian on our recent Explorer cruise and I enjoy Caribbean casual when sailing from Florida.

People seem to get really angry here defending their right to wear a certain item of clothing to the dining room and there's a big world out there with more important things to get excited about, I just don't get it. 

On 9/18/2023 at 2:22 PM, TheHawk1 said:

Now if only that attitude would carry over to all of RCI's lines.  Unfortunately, over on the Celebrity boards, the fashion police there would be having an absolute fit at even the hint of Celebrity dropping their "no shorts in the MDR" dress code. That's one of the reasons I still cruise mostly Royal.

Personally, I think it is a good thing that different cruise lines have different standards.  That gives people options and can pick and choose based upon their desires.  My only concern is that my experience, cruise lines don't enforce many of their own rules.  I'm a rule follower and was an enforcer for one of my former careers.  I believe we need rules that fit different situations and they SHOULD be followed and enforced.  If X enforces their policy(ies)/rule(s), more power to them.  If one of their policies is to be formal in the MDR, I'll pass.  Choices/options are great!

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

ROFL,  you really need to take a closer look the next time you're in Europe

Maybe I just ignore the way crazy yanks dress when I'm in Europe for 2 to 3 months every year. I'll make sure I pay attention starting in a few weeks. To be fair, I'm not fond of the socks with sandals look, but I'll check out whether that goes on in the Fall. 

On 9/20/2023 at 1:24 AM, Tin can said:

Royal seems to adapt things to the local market it is sailing from. 

I saw people turned away from the MDR in shorts on Anthem sailing from the UK last summer. It was the same on our Singapore departing cruises. 

Whenever we have sailed from Florida we have seen bare feet, bare chests, bikini’s and pyjamas in the MDR.

All cool with us but you would rarely or probably never see this in Europe so I think Royal adapts the ‘rules’ (for want of a better word) according to the market.

Again, you can change that if you care to.

Just now, fredmdcruisers said:

So no one in Europe wears shorts or tshirts?

I'm not willing to continue this argument. As someone with dual citizenship and spends 3-4 months in Europe a year, there's a difference. If you don't feel it, that's fine. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Both of us will be served. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I'm not willing to continue this argument. As someone with dual citizenship and spends 3-4 months in Europe a year, there's a difference. If you don't feel it, that's fine. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Both of us will be served. 

Had no idea it was an argument! Sorry you feel that way.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:27 AM, Tin can said:

What people wear doesn't bother me but I'm glad we are all different around the world. Who wants exactly the same experienece when we travel.

I'm formal when I travel from my native UK, I enjoyed ditching the formal and going smart designer in Italy as most of the passengers were Italian on our recent Explorer cruise and I enjoy Caribbean casual when sailing from Florida.

People seem to get really angry here defending their right to wear a certain item of clothing to the dining room and there's a big world out there with more important things to get excited about, I just don't get it. 

Based on past posts the people who mind and are the most insulting in their comments re stereotypes of certain demographics are those who dress formally.  Thankfully these folks are few.  

I am more offended by the overabundance of perfumes to try to cover body odor then someone wearing shorts at dinner.  But that can be a whole new topic.  😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

For sure!  ran into this on Explorer back in August,  it was so bad we asked to be moved to another table.

A lot of smokers will bathe in perfume/cologne to coverup the stench from their cigarettes, pipes or cigars. Speaking from experience. I still wear cologne but not as much. 

Edited by doghog

8 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

What does dual citizenship have to do with what you wear on a cruise ship??? I will do it my way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 2:24 AM, Tin can said:

This was on a RCI ships on multiple sailings? Seems like that of all these sightings, only the folks in pajamas would be seated and even that would be borderline.

Edited by VegasVic14
typo