Do Royal Princess reduce price when rooms are still unsold near to travel date?

dipan0000

Hi,
I am looking at Royal Princess for Sep 23, 2023 - Mon, Sep 25 from Seattle to Vancouver (one way). It is just week far and I am seeing some balcony options are still available. At present price are available from $449/pp. When we go close to travel date and they still have unsold room, do they reduce the price or it remains same?
I know it is just a probability, but before booking I am trying to find if I should book now or two days later can make some sense.
Opinions please.
Thanks

If you login to the Princess site and then select Cruise Deals at the top of the page you will get to the Drop & Go "last minute cruise deals". For those who can just "pick up and go" It's a good place to keep an eye out for last minute deals on cruises.

• Like 3

Forgot to mention...it might be worth calling Princess or a TA and inquiring about local rates.  Sometimes, there will be a local rate available that the public can't see.  Sometimes, this local rate will populate if you login to your Captain's Circle account on Princess.  There have been times in the past were I've gotten a lower rate and/or OBC for being a local to the SF port and booking last minute. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Forgot to mention...it might be worth calling Princess or a TA and inquiring about local rates.  Sometimes, there will be a local rate available that the public can't see.  Sometimes, this local rate will populate if you login to your Captain's Circle account on Princess.  There have been times in the past were I've gotten a lower rate and/or OBC for being a local to the SF port and booking last minute. 

That is good to know. I will try calling them, if they take calls on Saturday 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dipan0000 said:

Hi,
I am looking at Royal Princess for Sep 23, 2023 - Mon, Sep 25 from Seattle to Vancouver (one way). It is just week far and I am seeing some balcony options are still available. At present price are available from $449/pp. When we go close to travel date and they still have unsold room, do they reduce the price or it remains same?
I know it is just a probability, but before booking I am trying to find if I should book now or two days later can make some sense.
Opinions please.
Thanks

You don't actually know if there are balcony cabins available. They may have balcony guarantees they haven't assigned yet. If they have empty balconies, they are more likely to fill them from people from bids from people in lower categories. They may have oversold a lower category with guarantees and be waiting to upgrade some people with bids.

If they change the advertised price, then people who have already booked at a higher price will be calling them and asking for an adjustment. If they provide the adjustment, then they lose money. If they don't provide the adjustment, then they make a customer unhappy. If the give someone the lower price on a bid, then they never lowered the published price, so no one is calling them asking for an adjustment.

You have no idea what the availability will be if you wait. They may accept upgrade bids and fill all of the balcony cabins before you book. There is no way of knowing.

14 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

You don't actually know if there are balcony cabins available. They may have balcony guarantees they haven't assigned yet. If they have empty balconies, they are more likely to fill them from people from bids from people in lower categories. They may have oversold a lower category with guarantees and be waiting to upgrade some people with bids.

If they change the advertised price, then people who have already booked at a higher price will be calling them and asking for an adjustment. If they provide the adjustment, then they lose money. If they don't provide the adjustment, then they make a customer unhappy. If the give someone the lower price on a bid, then they never lowered the published price, so no one is calling them asking for an adjustment.

You have no idea what the availability will be if you wait. They may accept upgrade bids and fill all of the balcony cabins before you book. There is no way of knowing.

I agree with your opinion and current prices are also not looking bad. For three of us, starting price is $1077 for balcony. Just want to decide, which one I should opt, which is confusion till now and trying to figure 🙂

Edited by dipan0000

45 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Not true, if already past final payment.  Once, the final payment deadline has passed, as in the OP’s cruise, the rates are locked in and only those making new bookings can take advantage.

48 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

You are correct.  Only Princess knows the true availability.  From my experience, since this the cruise in question a short repositioning cruise, there really is still availability.  These cruises rarely go full.

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

9 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Not true, if already past final payment.  Once, the final payment deadline has passed, as in the OP’s cruise, the rates are locked in and only those making new bookings can take advantage.

I did not say that Princess would provide an adjustment. I said that people would call asking for one and would be unhappy they didn't get it. That's an advantage of lowering the price by accepting bids - they never publish the lower price, so no one is unhappy.

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

I did not say that Princess would provide an adjustment. I said that people would call asking for one and would be unhappy they didn't get it. That's an advantage of lowering the price by accepting bids - they never publish the lower price, so no one is unhappy.

Most passengers understand that after the final payment deadline, their rate is locked in.  Some may try their luck, but it's a rarity.

The purpose of Bid to Upgrade is to fill higher category cabins and generate revenue, when there are empty cabins/cancellations.  It's the reason why Princess still solicits for upgrade bids even if a sailing is sold out.  If a sailing isn't sold to capacity, there will still be empty cabins (the cabins that were vacated), but at least Princess is generating more revenue by filling the higher value cabins.   Most passengers are very particular about their cabin selection and won't bid because the bidding system doesn't allow for the passenger to select their cabin; it's autogenerated.

Princess does publish lower "Drop and Go" rates after the final payment deadline when a sailing has too many cabins available.  The Sky Princess Transatlantic departing on 11-10-23 is an example.  Before final payment the lowest Interior cabin was around $1100; T minus 75 days the rate dropped to $629.  (Been keeping track for my parents.)

Screenshot 2023-09-16 211600.jpg

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

We tend to book early and then watch as the price goes up and up. Once in a while I've had pricing go down but I don't count on it.

I too tend to book early and watch for price drops, although they are becoming rare.  I did manage to take advantage of a couple of price drops on a world cruise and my final payment fare was just over $10K less than when I first booked - which was as soon as the cruise was announced.

In both price drops, my big box TA took care of it.  No calling the amateur call center in the  Philippines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I too tend to book early and watch for price drops, although they are becoming rare.  I did manage to take advantage of a couple of price drops on a world cruise and my final payment fare was just over $10K less than when I first booked - which was as soon as the cruise was announced.

In both price drops, my big box TA took care of it.  No calling the amateur call center in the  Philippines.

Yes, I refared the last two segments of our upcoming cruise. Saved over $1,100 and got an extra $650 OBC but that isn't the norm by any means.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Most passengers understand that after the final payment deadline, their rate is locked in.  Some may try their luck, but it's a rarity.

The purpose of Bid to Upgrade is to fill higher category cabins and generate revenue, when there are empty cabins/cancellations.  It's the reason why Princess still solicits for upgrade bids even if a sailing is sold out.  If a sailing isn't sold to capacity, there will still be empty cabins (the cabins that were vacated), but at least Princess is generating more revenue by filling the higher value cabins.   Most passengers are very particular about their cabin selection and won't bid because the bidding system doesn't allow for the passenger to select their cabin; it's autogenerated.

Princess does publish lower "Drop and Go" rates after the final payment deadline when a sailing has too many cabins available.  The Sky Princess Transatlantic departing on 11-10-23 is an example.  Before final payment the lowest Interior cabin was around $1100; T minus 75 days the rate dropped to $629.  (Been keeping track for my parents.)

Screenshot 2023-09-16 211600.jpg

Does this happen often close to sail date? I am thinking about booking a cruise in December so about 85 days left - but I'm considering other cruise lines too. If the princess cruise were to drop in price I would definitely choose that but don't know if it's worth risking since the price might increase instead... but at the same time I feel that if I've waited this long to book it, I may as well wait a little longer and see what happens, no? 

7 minutes ago, Albinroo said:

Does this happen often close to sail date? I am thinking about booking a cruise in December so about 85 days left - but I'm considering other cruise lines too. If the princess cruise were to drop in price I would definitely choose that but don't know if it's worth risking since the price might increase instead... but at the same time I feel that if I've waited this long to book it, I may as well wait a little longer and see what happens, no? 

The best advice I can give is to not expect a price drop. If you find a cruise you want to take and a cabin you want and can afford book it early and then watch for a price drop. (I don't use this but there are online services that will watch your selected cruises and alert you if there is a change in price. Google for this. Obviously I can't say if the services are helpful or not.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These coastal repositionings do go cheap, but we usually find the sweet spot on these to be about 4-6 weeks before sailing. The best deals are also on the ones requiring a flight home from LA.
A few factors make me think yours won’t go down:  

1. You are 3 which limits your opportunities for the bast deals, as not all cabins can accommodate 3 limiting the availability.

2. You are so close to the sailing date, that I don’t think they’ll bother changing pricing before they close it out for sailing.

3. The short YVR-SEA, or short loop cruises from either are popular with people who just want an easy trip home, whether by train, bus or rental car without worrying about flights.

As always, if this is the cruise you want to do, and the price is agreeable to you, book it. 

23 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The best advice I can give is to not expect a price drop. If you find a cruise you want to take and a cabin you want and can afford book it early and then watch for a price drop. (I don't use this but there are online services that will watch your selected cruises and alert you if there is a change in price. Google for this. Obviously I can't say if the services are helpful or not.)

Thanks, but price drops and refaring seems to be a US thing as they don't offer it in Europe really. So once I'm booked there is a non-refundable deposit and any price drops would mean I'd have to rebook completely and lose my deposit. Anyway, I think you're right anyway, probably best to book at current price and enjoy knowing we'll get the cabin we want. 

5 hours ago, Albinroo said:

In your situation, I would make a dummy booking to see how many cabins are still available and make my decision from there.  This most likely won't be a true representation of the available cabins (only Princess knows exactly), but I will give you an idea.  I can say in the US, if there is still too much availability after final payment, there will be a first price reduction at the 75 day mark and a second price reduction at the 45 day mark, if the first price reduction didn't attract enough new bookings.  We don't care about cabin location and almost always book guarantee cabins, so this method works for us.

To those saying that the air is more expensive when booking this close, you have to be more diligent in checking airfares.  I've always found something reasonable even when booking this late.  Recently, I was able to find a British Airways flight, SFO to Rome for $860 through EZAir with one 2 hour connection each way, which I booked 60 days before cruise departure.

6 hours ago, SCX22 said:

In your situation, I would make a dummy booking to see how many cabins are still available and make my decision from there.  This most likely won't be a true representation of the available cabins (only Princess knows exactly), but I will give you an idea.  I can say in the US, if there is still too much availability after final payment, there will be a first price reduction at the 75 day mark and a second price reduction at the 45 day mark, if the first price reduction didn't attract enough new bookings.  We don't care about cabin location and almost always book guarantee cabins, so this method works for us.

To those saying that the air is more expensive when booking this close, you have to be more diligent in checking airfares.  I've always found something reasonable even when booking this late.  Recently, I was able to find a British Airways flight, SFO to Rome for $860 through EZAir with one 2 hour connection each way, which I booked 60 days before cruise departure.

Thanks for this!! Can't do a dummy booking because the Swedish website is so bad and I can't access the US one. But the 75 day mark is only a week from now so could definitely be worth waiting for. The price reductions in US are usually reflcted here as well. Flights won't be a problem since we will be in Floriday anyway and driving to port. And worst case scenario, we will do another cruise since there are many others available. Thanks again!!