QM2 Mixed Review: Some deferred maintenance, poor food, but a delight otherwise

gphb

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But someone has said how much QG falls short, irrelevant as it may be.

Yes, but let's face it, anyone who uses the adjective 'mediocre' with respect to Cunard QG fare has to be given a spot of  'really?'

Initial menus  might not suit everyone but overall mediocre, it isn't.

• Like 1

Having a Michelin starred chef on board as guest chef does NOT make it a Michelin starred venue for the one or two meals he/she may oversee and then parade around in a white toque. 
And to the poster who claimed to have had beef Wellington, lobster and caviar in shoreside Michelin restaurant I can only say it was not a frozen South African lobster which is what you are going to get on any ship but, rather a fresh Maine or French lobster poached gently. And no Michelin restaurant would keep a star if it served the mediocre beef surrounded by soggy pastry that every ship serves. Even in QG. 

I guess what I am trying to communicate is that NO ship, no matter his they try to convince you otherwise can compete with even a one star restaurant. There are simply too many people to be served to do it. Think about it. 
I mean no offense to perpetual Cunarders, Crystals, Seabourns etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Having a Michelin starred chef on board as guest chef does NOT make it a Michelin starred venue for the one or two meals he/she may oversee and then parade around in a white toque. 
And to the poster who claimed to have had beef Wellington, lobster and caviar in shoreside Michelin restaurant I can only say it was not a frozen South African lobster which is what you are going to get on any ship but, rather a fresh Maine or French lobster poached gently. And no Michelin restaurant would keep a star if it served the mediocre beef surrounded by soggy pastry that every ship serves. Even in QG. 

I guess what I am trying to communicate is that NO ship, no matter his they try to convince you otherwise can compete with even a one star restaurant. There are simply too many people to be served to do it. Think about it. 
I mean no offense to perpetual Cunarders, Crystals, Seabourns etc. 

and no one apart from yourself has indicated anything to do with Cunard/ Michelin star standard so you are completely answering your own misguided post.

edit

Yes a Michelin star chef is involved but that does not give  Cunard  Michelin star standards.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

Yes, QG is a mediocre restaurant tarted up with a lot of tableside shenanigans that went out thirty years ago. 
Again, that doesn’t make it bad. I like to be fussed over by maitre d’s as much as anyone. Maybe more. 
Let’s just recognize it for what it is. 

Just now, Whipsnade said:

Yes, QG is a mediocre restaurant tarted up with a lot of tableside shenanigans that went out thirty years ago. 
Again, that doesn’t make it bad. I like to be fussed over by maitre d’s as much as anyone. Maybe more. 
Let’s just recognize it for what it is. 

You use that word again.

You have lost all credulity as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Take a look in your Michelin guide. Not opinion. Fact. 

I think we've only ever experienced one genuine Michelin One Star dining experience.

We've not been back!

It was just about OK.

I should add that it's about a 1 km walk from us, and there's several non starred restaurants we would prefer to go to from a taste point of view before going there.

They seem to give kudos to serving filtered tap water as bottled water due to some misguided thought that it's eco friendly.

Well it's not eco friendly when my wife comes home and throws up!

Edited by D&N

In December will be my first Cunard cruise. Listening to many of you bickering/spatting/fighting about the food makes me wonder if I made the right choice in sailing on Cunard. I want friendly tablemates, not stuffy and obnoxious, with good food and great service.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, firegal2539 said:

In December will be my first Cunard cruise. Listening to many of you bickering/spatting/fighting about the food makes me wonder if I made the right choice in sailing on Cunard. I want friendly tablemates, not stuffy and obnoxious, with good food and great service.

Cunard is friendly, isn't stuffy, has good, no, great food and great service in QG which is the restaurant under discussion.

Up to you whose opinions you choose to believe.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, firegal2539 said:

It all sounds incredibly civilised to me.

Many many years ago a large group of my former colleagues went to an afternoon banquet in a medieval themed restaurant.  They hit the headlines in the local press, since their interpretation of a medieval banquet was that they should have food fights and were throwing food at the folk on neighbouring tables!

44 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

So saying you hadn’t ever seen it, with the possible implication it wasn’t likely to be available, really meant you hadn’t noticed it, because you weren’t much interested?

I didn’t think about it

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Cunard is friendly, isn't stuffy, has good, no, great food and great service in QG which is the restaurant under discussion.

Up to you whose opinions you choose to believe.

It is not at all stuffy 

but I don’t think the food is remotely as good as what is offered on the luxury lines. 

3 minutes ago, bitob said:

It is not at all stuffy 

but I don’t think the food is remotely as good as what is offered on the luxury lines. 

Thank you for your opinion.

At least you haven't repeated 'mediocre'.🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitob said:

He is on board. Doing presentations 

He’s was hired by Cunard to be in charge of the Golden Lion Pub on QA. 
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/media-centre/michel-roux-queen-anne-partnership#

Hopefully he’ll branch out to other Cunard ships and onboard restaurants. 

Maybe i should try and clarify what i mean when i say Queens Grill is, imo, the best dining experience at sea. For us, a dining experience is not just about the food although that is obviously for most of us the no1 priority. In Queens Grill you have the same table with the same personal looking after you every night. Meaning whatever time you arrive at the restaurant, your table is there waiting for you with staff ready to look after you, whatever that maybe.

When on Splendor [admittedly she was sailing full] when going to dinner in Compass Rose, several nights you were asked to go and have a drink in a nearby bar while a table become available [someone did come and inform you when that was] this was not a problem for us, but for others? it was. You then had different wait staff who unfortunately appeared to be somewhat rushed at peak times, leading to, for some, a rather somewhat inferior dining experience. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I will repeat:  PG and QG are mediocre. Britannia is less than that. On a par with HAL. 

I think we might just have heard you say something along those lines already but thanks for the addition of your PG and Britannia thoughts. 🙂