QM2 Mixed Review: Some deferred maintenance, poor food, but a delight otherwise

gphb

On 9/23/2023 at 5:43 PM, Host Hattie said:

Thank you, if she's South African, she served us in Princess Grill on our first cruise on QE2.

P1020627.jpg

Host Hattie - I think it is the same Marli. I asked our wine server last night to ask if Marli was in the restaurant and she was and so I asked for her to drop by so I could ask. She didn't get around to it before we left and seemed to be very busy so I didn't want to interrupt. However, I heard her speaking to another guest and she did seem to have a South African accent so I think it is probably her, although if it is her she has a different hairstyle so can't be sure! If I see her again, I will ask but today is our last day 😊

• Like 1

@Whipsnade

If i thought like you, when you say that all food onboard all cruise lines is "mediocre" and that bread, as you say is “Feh!!” i would probably have to think too myself that maybe cruising is not for me and that i should look elsewhere to spend my money on. 

Having last month, just come off two cruises one on Regent, the other on Saga and now going for 2 weeks in Queens Grill on Queen Elizabeth then i can only think that i really must be a glutton for punishment.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

I was in one of the QM2 bakeries in August.

There was no frozen ingredients. Everything was made from scratch.

Thank you.

We have seen fresh bread/rolls being made for the meals to come.

We even saw after breakfast, scones being made for the upcoming tea time that afternoon.

I was watching Mighty Cruise Ships/Mighty Ship on cable the other day and saw stock being loaded on board on embarkation day. On another line, we saw #38 Regular Cut Frozen Potatoes on a pallet being loaded to the freezer for upcoming meals. And they bragged about the fresh food being plated for dinner, the same ship.

We saw on our sailing on the QM2, potatoes being placed into a machine that washed, scrubbed and cut potatoes being readied for the fryer. I know that there is a lot to prepare seeing done on one of the tours, but QM2 does present a class act. IMHO....... 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hi BklynBoy

I wasn't on an official ship's tour. It was a private tour conducted by an officer we know. We also visited the Bridge and were welcomed by the Captain.

As was ours too although ours was just the Grills galley.

• Like 1

To clarify on the mighty bread issue. 
I was mistaken about prefrozen bread on ships. Many, if not all do, in fact , make their own bread, rolls etc on board. So I was wrong and apologize. Should have checked my facts before spouting  off. 
So why does bread taste so different on Explora from other ships?  
Reason is the majority of ships buy their flour from American suppliers. Flour sold in US has many preservatives that are not present in European flour. EJ only uses European flour milled in France for them. 
Hope this helps to clarify the bread issue. 
Once again I will say I would go back to Explora just for the bread. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

To clarify on the mighty bread issue. 
I was mistaken about prefrozen bread on ships. Many, if not all do, in fact , make their own bread, rolls etc on board. So I was wrong and apologize. Should have checked my facts before spouting  off. 
So why does bread taste so different on Explora from other ships?  
Reason is the majority of ships buy their flour from American suppliers. Flour sold in US has many preservatives that are not present in European flour. EJ only uses European flour milled in France for them. 
Hope this helps to clarify the bread issue. 
Once again I will say I would go back to Explora just for the bread. 

Thank you for confirming that your original post was wrong, as @exlondoner has said you are probably still wrong about bread on most Cunard cruises. 

Queen Elizabeth has been away from the UK for a while now so they might be using flour from America there.

• Like 2

https://medium.com/the-cookbook-for-all/is-italian-flour-really-better-part-2-95239e34624

Judge for yourself. And maybe ask your favorite cruise line where they get their flour. 
One thing I can tell you for sure is EJ baked goods are much better than I have had on any ship and better than in 90% of US restaurants in which we have dined. 

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hi BklynBoy

I wasn't on an official ship's tour. It was a private tour conducted by an officer we know. We also visited the Bridge and were welcomed by the Captain.

Hi,

We too were lucky to get a private tour that included the Gallery and Bridge with Commodore Warner. 

He even came to our Meet & Greet and stayed for about a hour and we took a group photo. One of those memorable pictures. We were only about 12 people.

The Gallery was done at 1030AM before lunch which was in high gear.

My favourite M and S loaf is the cheese one from the bakery. I buy my bread there too. I think their value loaf for want of a better world beats any brand for toast. The best cheese soufflé I had was on Cunard. It was really a vegetarian entree but I had it as a starter. I could have eaten several. Haven’t seen them this year sadly. 

1 hour ago, techteach said:

Flour, and how it is milled makes a huge difference. Some of our favorite bread is from Skagit valley in Washington State.

https://breadlab.wsu.edu

Totally agree that flours differ.  All ingredients probably have regional differences.  It's why it's often so hard to recreate dishes from abroad at home.

Oh, wait, what was the point of this thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, alc13 said:

Totally agree that flours differ.  All ingredients probably have regional differences.  It's why it's often so hard to recreate dishes from abroad at home.

Oh, wait, what was the point of this thread?

Initially that much of the food on QM2 had been somewhat disappointing, latterly the mediocrity of all food on cruise ships.

On 9/26/2023 at 4:50 AM, exlondoner said:

Initially that much of the food on QM2 had been somewhat disappointing, latterly the mediocrity of all food on cruise ships.

On 9/26/2023 at 4:50 AM, exlondoner said:

Maybe, as stated earlier, it's time to look elsewhere besides on a ship if the food on all cruise ships is mediocre?🤪

Back from Oceania Regatta cruise. I haven’t not eaten in Brittania MDR, but the food in the MDR on Regatta was better than mediocre 95% of the time. Good prime rib but tough veal scallopini. The omelettes were better than QG, but inconsistent. Those terrible scrambled eggs are because the eggs are frozen! I found all food to be under seasoned to the point I went out and bought my own salt and pepper grinder and carried it in my purse. QG bread was better. I would say cream soups were better in QG, but I had a really good chicken and tomato consume on Oceania in the MDR. QG wins for dessert. QG wins for service. Oceania had better wines on their plan and a wider variety than Cunard. Cunard drinks were better overall than Oceania. There are more open places to eat on Cunard than on the Regatta. Gotta say, we booked our next cruise in QG and not on Oceania. Food and service decided it because our room on Regatta was incredible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, techteach said:

Back from Oceania Regatta cruise. I haven’t not eaten in Brittania MDR, but the food in the MDR on Regatta was better than mediocre 95% of the time. Good prime rib but tough veal scallopini. The omelettes were better than QG, but inconsistent. Those terrible scrambled eggs are because the eggs are frozen! I found all food to be under seasoned to the point I went out and bought my own salt and pepper grinder and carried it in my purse. QG bread was better. I would say cream soups were better in QG, but I had a really good chicken and tomato consume on Oceania in the MDR. QG wins for dessert. QG wins for service. Oceania had better wines on their plan and a wider variety than Cunard. Cunard drinks were better overall than Oceania. There are more open places to eat on Cunard than on the Regatta. Gotta say, we booked our next cruise in QG and not on Oceania. Food and service decided it because our room on Regatta was incredible.

What’s the price difference (%) between QG and Oceania MDR? Oceania markets itself as best cuisine at sea but is it fair to compare QG to their MDR? Unless you paid about the same for Oceania. 
It’s good to hear that money you feel that money is well spent on Cunard. 

Hello, have been on the QM2 for 6 days and can attest that the food in the buffet (lunch, dinner, late night) is acceptable but not anywhere near the variety and quality of the buffet food on Queen Victoria (this past July) or Elizabeth (fall 2021). We are mostly likening for healthy options and it’s rough.  

also internet is far worse in cabin here than the other ships which means we can’t come back until in cabin wifi is verified.