Ship's Laundry

RURALILLINOISAUTHOR

My DH and I cruised a lot prior to 2020, and at one point took full advantage of all the laundry specials and status perks, but then I began to notice that often clothes seem to have shrunk. At first, I blamed it on the wonderful food we were enjoying, but when I compared similar items at  home to ones that I had sent to the ship's laundry, it was clear that the piece had indeed shrunk. 

Now, it's been going on four years since we cruised and I don't think we ever used an NCL ship's laundry, so I was wondering if anyone could comment on how their laundry had been handled on the Escape or similar ship. We have a couple of status freebies and I would love to use them.

Thanks!

Denise

8 minutes ago, RURALILLINOISAUTHOR said:

My DH and I cruised a lot prior to 2020, and at one point took full advantage of all the laundry specials and status perks, but then I began to notice that often clothes seem to have shrunk. At first, I blamed it on the wonderful food we were enjoying, but when I compared similar items at  home to ones that I had sent to the ship's laundry, it was clear that the piece had indeed shrunk. 

Now, it's been going on four years since we cruised and I don't think we ever used an NCL ship's laundry, so I was wondering if anyone could comment on how their laundry had been handled on the Escape or similar ship. We have a couple of status freebies and I would love to use them.

Thanks!

Denise

I’ve used their laundry service several times.  I think they do a good job.

But, I’ve toured their laundry facilities.  It’s all very heavy duty!  They don’t wash anything on the “gentle” cycle!  LOL!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

They don’t wash anything on the “gentle” cycle!  LOL!

someone else said hot water only.  That gives me pause regarding using the laundry service on my 15-night cruise as I don't think much of what I wear will come out the other end in usable condition.  Maybe I should do what I've seen some do - bring a half-empty suitcase and wear what I buy for souvenirs while filling it for the return trip.

• Like 1

I would not send anything delicate or that may shrink. We send out undergarments, socks, jeans and things like that. Send a pair of dh's pants once and they came back so small he couldn't get them on.  I sent out a couple of my tshirts once and the dryers were so hot the shirts melted and you could see through them.  I take some travel size detergent for our delicates and wash them myself.

• Like 2

On the Joy recently used laundry for the first time…only sent underclothes, socks, t-shirts jeans.   Like Graphic Guy, we also toured the facilities and found the machines to be heavy duty so I wouldn’t send anything delicate.    They came out fine and were nicely folded.  However if we were home we probably would have wanted to iron some of the t shirts and DH’s cargo shorts (but they weren’t very wrinkled, we are just accustomed to doing so) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RURALILLINOISAUTHOR said:

Thanks!

Denise

We usually send a couple of bags in per cruise. And we cruise 4-5 times a year on NCL. We have had no problems. 

Just like at home... A 265 pounds per load washer

image.png.8d98f39f6913aeada706a653ed16249b.png

And a 110 pound dryer

image.thumb.png.5ccf5bf74212193624746fde93523cdc.png

The Laundry Master last week reiterated that the default is to wash passenger laundry in cold water. If there are stained whites that have handling labels allowing warm/hot water, they will use warm/hot water. And any special handling labels are abided by. 

Again, we have had no problems. And half our casual clothes at home have sticky laundry tags on them the next time they are used 🙂 

• Like 2

I send clothes out every cruise and have never had an issue.  Jeans, underwear, t-shirts, capris & pj's. The only issue I've ever had is getting the laundry tags off!!  No shrinkage & they fold them nicely so they can be worn without ironing.

I do not, and would not, send any of my dresses.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

the default is to wash passenger laundry in cold water.

oh, this is excellent!  now just to be concerned about the dryer..  I think most of my clothes would prefer to be dried on med., which I do for all but my towels at home...

• Like 1

We sent most of our dirty laundry on our last cruise including cotton tshirts and never had a problem. They came back very neat. I was not worried about shrinkage, that is what Downy wrinkle real ease of for. LOL.

The tags are still on all of our clothes from May so the tags do not come off easy.

• Like 1

All good advice. My only inclusion would be to reiterate not to send newer clothes that could shrink.

We've had no problem with older, well used, well washed clothes. But I have had new t-shirts shrink to the point I can't wear them.

• Like 1

I had a brand new Men's Vuori shirt shrunk into a belly shirt. Went back to the store when I got home and they replaced. Also had a Banana Republic golf shirt shrink to a point of it not being wearable. Underwear came out just fine, though...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjacobs11 said:

I had a brand new Men's Vuori shirt shrunk into a belly shirt. Went back to the store when I got home and they replaced. Also had a Banana Republic golf shirt shrink to a point of it not being wearable. Underwear came out just fine, though...

Hmmm . . . so it seems like you CAN go to the buffet as long as you wear only your underwear!  Problem solved 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 9/17/2023 at 4:58 PM, BirdTravels said:

We usually send a couple of bags in per cruise. And we cruise 4-5 times a year on NCL. We have had no problems. 

Just like at home... A 265 pounds per load washer

image.png.8d98f39f6913aeada706a653ed16249b.png

And a 110 pound dryer

image.thumb.png.5ccf5bf74212193624746fde93523cdc.png

The Laundry Master last week reiterated that the default is to wash passenger laundry in cold water. If there are stained whites that have handling labels allowing warm/hot water, they will use warm/hot water. And any special handling labels are abided by. 

Again, we have had no problems. And half our casual clothes at home have sticky laundry tags on them the next time they are used 🙂 

Might have to start sewing handling labels into my hand made items now.

I haven't had any issues and I've sent them pretty much every type of garment to wash at some point except for knickers. 

I also write LOW HEAT on my laundry slips, so while I don't know if they do abide by that request, I've not gotten back any item feeling hot or having shrunk. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1