? for our UK friends re Bay of Biscay

klfrodo

Is there a link or a particular site you can recommends that forecasts sea conditions in the Bay of Biscay?

Myself? I'm not too worried. I've proven my sea legs thru the years.

My wife on the other hand is very concerned. Any information that I can find to help her prepare would be helpful. Past experience tells us that once you are not feeling well, it's too late for meds. She'll have them with her and if we can foresee that the conditions may be rough, she can prepare accordingly.

I have been watching Met Office - UK Weather

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Is there a link or a particular site you can recommends that forecasts sea conditions in the Bay of Biscay?

My wife on the other hand is very concerned. Any information that I can find to help her prepare would be helpful. Past experience tells us that once you are not feeling well, it's too late for meds. She'll have them with her and if we can foresee that the conditions may be rough, she can prepare accordingly.

I have been watching Met Office - UK Weather

I have never used this site personally but I have seen posts on other cruise critic boards about it. It may help?      windy dot com

• Like 1

I find windy dot com to be very useful for global weather.  on the current map, you dont need a degree in Atmospheric Sciences to understand what that bullseye in the middle of the Atlantic is ( or means).  It is particularly good for finding lightning  and tracking storm fronts. The map includes a "waves" layer that you can click in to

• Like 1

I’ll second Windy. I’ve done the Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao Brittany Ferries crossing very many times, mostly in December and returning in March but in summer too and have always found Windy to be spot on. My understanding is that the ferry keeps much closer to the coast ( where it is rougher) while cruise ships keep further out to sea where it is, relatively, calmer. 

From bitter experience I’d advise your wife to take the sea sickness tablets as soon as the ship turns out of the English Channel, or before. Better have them in your system than take them too late.

On 9/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, FannyLiz said:

From bitter experience I’d advise your wife to take the sea sickness tablets as soon as the ship turns out of the English Channel, or before. Better have them in your system than take them too late.

I second that advice. Like FL we have many times used the ferry to spain in the middle of winter. And departed on cruises too.  I am never not seasick in the Bay of Biscay, so I take my tablets a few hours after we leave Southampton/Portsmouth, and I use those pressure point wristbands also. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 4:58 PM, klfrodo said:

My wife on the other hand is very concerned. 

I suggest you book a cruise with an itinerary you like irrespective of whether it takes you across BoB. What are her concerns? If it is simply seasickness focusing on remedies is a better avenue as it does not matter what sea conditions are like.  Ships often cruise through mainly at night not noticing the sea condition.  In general whether it will be rough is 50/50 in my experience and can go against seasonal trends.

Regards John

• Haha 2