Scootaround vs Special Needs at Sea

CruisnDeb

We are looking at getting a scooter (first time) for my mother-in-law for a family cruise in February.  Is there any difference between renting from Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea?  We will be sailing on NCL out of Miami.  I would appreciate any insight.  TIA.

We have rented from both companies.   I have found no difference; they even have the same scooters for rent.  However, NCL only allows Scootaround on their ships so you will have to rent from them.  

If you contact Scootaround, ask for discount code USCRUISE (from United Spinal); you usually have to actually call them to have the discount code applied.  

NCL will need to know you are bringing a scooter.   Do you have an accessible stateroom?   Here's NCL's information if you haven't already seen it:

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

If in the future you are on another cruise line that allows both Scootaround and Special Needs, check the pricing (for the same scooter) with both companies.  And make sure you are comparing the same thing because sometimes insurance will be added (that we have never purchased).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 3:27 PM, CruisnDeb said:

We are looking at getting a scooter (first time) for my mother-in-law for a family cruise in February.  Is there any difference between renting from Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea?  We will be sailing on NCL out of Miami.  I would appreciate any insight.  TIA.

We use Scootaround, and they have a power chair that my wife uses onboard, it is very maneuverable, and she can event turn around in small elevators.  It is the Whill Ci2 and they are the only ones that rent them.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please keep in mind, when sailing from Miami, Scootaround delivers the scooter to your cabin, so you won't have it until then.  If you need help checking and and boarding, you will need to request wheelchair assistance for the terminal.  Last time we left from Miami they told me I could pick up the scooter before going in the terminal, but that was not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, 65Mommy said:

Is there any requirements to qualify for a scooter rental?  Do they require doctors note?

No, not by the scooter rental companies (Scootaround and Special Needs).     But you may need an accessible stateroom so the scooter can get through your doorway.   Many cruise lines have their own rules for booking an accessible stateroom.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 4:44 PM, kokopelli-az said:

No, not by the scooter rental companies (Scootaround and Special Needs).     But you may need an accessible stateroom so the scooter can get through your doorway.   Many cruise lines have their own rules for booking an accessible stateroom.    

Thanks - despite being a long time cruiser, I am learning something new every day in this group!