Live: Explorer, Vancouver/Alaska/Japan

fudge

From yesterday: We arrived back on board and went to the chartreuse for lunch it was very quiet, we sat with a window view, the weather is lovely, clear skies and fairly warm. Mr Fudge chose the poached egg on a bed of belly pork, and the New York strip steak, Mrs Fudge had the goats’ cheese and a very upmarket cheese and ham toasted sandwich, washed down with Red wine and Rose for Mrs Fudge, Mr Fudge indulged himself with a Brandy to finish off the meal.

After lunch, Mrs Fudge headed back to town, she couldn’t help herself, in the gift shop she spotted a “bargain” rail, lets see what she comes back with, nothing for Mr Fudge I suspect?

In conclusion, Alaska. I would say if you like to get off the ship for whatever reason then book excursions early even if you have to pay. For the independent traveller there is nothing, and I mean nothing to see, there are no independent tours waiting at the ship, it’s very isolated however, we are pleased we came, we have enjoyed this first leg.

The next few days will be interesting, sea days!!! Five in total, it will be manic I would think in the restaurants, bars and the games. We have never had more than 1 sea day in all the years of cruising, we shall make the most of it.  

Mrs Fudge arrived back at the ship in plenty of time for Baggo, she bought a lovely jacket for a whole 10 dollars, Mr Fudge got off lightly there. I was right, nothing for Mr Fudge.

A decision was made to have a lazy afternoon and not eat out tonight. Right on time our butler came and asked where we were eating? We told him we were staying in so he asked could he tempt us with the Lamb Madras from the Compass Rose, it was a no brainer.

We left Kodiak at about 17.30 en route to the Dutch harbour, we believe that although our place was booked at the pier over a year ago that has now been over ridden, a container ship is now taking our place!

The alternative is anchorage, the problem there is that it’s a 25-minute tender ride to land, we certainly won’t be doing that….

The sea is pretty rocky now as the captain explained it would be, we shall just hunker down and enjoy the ride.

We seemed to have struck very lucky with our butler Binay and Abigail our room attendant, I know they are all hard working however, we cannot fault their attention to detail.

• Right on time last evening the curry arrived perfectly presented and piping hot, just how we like it, followed by a creamy crem bule, a beer was the order of the day with the curry.
  •  

We had quite a rocky night’s sleep, not so it was uncomfortable but enough to know it was there

Going back to the Vancouver debacle (not the visa issue) ten people in the queue got to know each other pretty well, we should have done after 3 hrs 30. We are holding a meeting with a senior officer at 11 am this morning to see for future guests if any improvements could be made by Regent to alleviate the problems we faced? Will let you know the outcome…

• Like 4

When I ran ships in that part of the world DH was a regular stop.  In the local fishermen's saloon was a sign proclaiming: "It's not the end of the world but you can see it from here".....  Dutch played an interesting role in WW II as it was a bomber base.  Concrete pillboxes still dot the hills overlooking the airport and harbor.  Last time I was there homeless were occupying many of them.  Must be a very rough winter.  And if you ever get to fly out of there, the take off is a bit scary......😱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

And if you ever get to fly out of there, the take off is a bit scary......😱

That would be along the runway we walked across I guess? 😅  (we waited till the traffic light was green of course!)

Wednesday 27th September

We are having a sea day today, unfortunately it has been confirmed that we are tendering in the morning should you wish to do so, 25 mins in a tender does not suit us. We will stay on board and drink and eat ourselves to death and hopefully get more points.

We are cruising the Pacific Ocean today, nothing to report really. We rose quite early so we took advantage of the empty gym, we are still keeping our promise to exercise more and eat less, yeah right!! The sea is a lot calmer now it’s quite comfortable, several choices for lunch, Prime 7, chartreuse, La Veranda or the pool grill.

We chose the pool grill, there is a lovely spot where the heaters are. The spicy chicken wings with a blue cheese dressing are very nice, Mrs Fudge had a regular burger, you know, sometimes fast food just hits the spot. Today I chose to wear one of my funny t shirts, “I don’t need google my wife knows everything” it always raises a smile except when Mrs Fudge says, but I am not his wife!

We did attend a meeting with a senior staff member regarding the boarding procedure in Vancouver. We realise that there is little Regent could do however, we did suggest that Regent could have asked guests to arrive a little later, that would have certainly helped. The officer said that Regent relies too much on ground operations, it’s a lesson learned for the future, lets hope for folks who have booked this cruise that your experience is better than ours was?

As compensation we were offered a free weeks cruise which we politely declined.

Recently we have had two offers sent to our suite, a 100-dollar voucher to spend in the jewellery shop, minimum spend 1000 dollars, and a 50-dollar voucher towards a treatment in the spa, where a gent’s haircut is 130 Dollars, I would sooner tear my hair out with nail clippers than spend that much!

We popped into the jewellery shop, there was a watch there for half a million dollars, I guess that was directed to our American friends?

In Cyprus when I visit the barber shop, haircut, face massage, earwax, eyebrows and nose trim, hair washed, neck shave, 7 dollars, yes 7 dollars, it takes about 40 minutes from sitting in the chair.

Mr Fudge now has the bit between his teeth, he got wrapped up and did 10 laps of the jogging track, Mrs Fudge composed a letter to the Fairmont hotel in Vancouver, we got charged for a bottle of wine which they initially told us was complimentary, Mrs Fudge does not take fools likely, they have had a flea in their ear I can assure you!!

Sadly, Mr and Mrs Fudge went their separate ways this afternoon

Mrs Fudge went to the music quiz, Mr Fudge did the roller ball game, we are a team! No amount of persuasion could tempt her back, she is very good at music though, I shall miss her sadly!

The jewellery shop is offering a clean your jewellery offer for free, yes you heard it, free, wow, I don’t think they have enough polish on board for Mrs Fudges Jewellery, she may not make it back for dinner?   

Hey, who need a partner? 3 points from Mr Fudge, happy days, you know what, it doesn’t get better than this. 😊

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Wednesday 27th September

We are having a sea day today, unfortunately it has been confirmed that we are tendering in the morning should you wish to do so, 25 mins in a tender does not suit us. We will stay on board and drink and eat ourselves to death and hopefully get more points.

We are cruising the Pacific Ocean today, nothing to report really. We rose quite early so we took advantage of the empty gym, we are still keeping our promise to exercise more and eat less, yeah right!! The sea is a lot calmer now it’s quite comfortable, several choices for lunch, Prime 7, chartreuse, La Veranda or the pool grill.

We chose the pool grill, there is a lovely spot where the heaters are. The spicy chicken wings with a blue cheese dressing are very nice, Mrs Fudge had a regular burger, you know, sometimes fast food just hits the spot. Today I chose to wear one of my funny t shirts, “I don’t need google my wife knows everything” it always raises a smile except when Mrs Fudge says, but I am not his wife!

We did attend a meeting with a senior staff member regarding the boarding procedure in Vancouver. We realise that there is little Regent could do however, we did suggest that Regent could have asked guests to arrive a little later, that would have certainly helped. The officer said that Regent relies too much on ground operations, it’s a lesson learned for the future, lets hope for folks who have booked this cruise that your experience is better than ours was?

Recently we have had two offers sent to our suite, a 100-dollar voucher to spend in the jewellery shop, minimum spend 1000 dollars, and a 50-dollar voucher towards a treatment in the spa, where a gent’s haircut is 130 Dollars, I would sooner tear my hair out with nail clippers than spend that much!

We popped into the jewellery shop, there was a watch there for half a million dollars, I guess that was directed to our American friends?

In Cyprus when I visit the barber shop, haircut, face massage, earwax, eyebrows and nose trim, hair washed, neck shave, 7 dollars, yes 7 dollars, it takes about 40 minutes from sitting in the chair.

Mr Fudge now has the bit between his teeth, he got wrapped up and did 10 laps of the jogging track, Mrs Fudge composed a letter to the Fairmont hotel in Vancouver, we got charged for a bottle of wine which they initially told us was complimentary, Mrs Fudge does not take fools likely, they have had a flea in their ear I can assure you!!

Mrs Fudge went to the music quiz, Mr Fudge did the roller ball game, we are a team! No amount of persuasion could tempt her back, she is very good at music though, I shall miss her sadly!

The jewellery shop is offering a clean your jewellery offer for free, yes you heard it, free, wow, I don’t think they have enough polish on board for Mrs Fudges Jewellery, she may not make it back for dinner?   

Hey, who need a partner? 3 points from Mr Fudge, happy days, you know what, it doesn’t get better than this. 😊

We lose a day soon!

clock.jpg

1 hour ago, fudge said:

Wednesday 27th September

Wow! A one week free cruise due to security clearance issues?!

Last evening there was a meeting of the Regent society guests in the theatre, lots of drinks flowing and caviar. A number of guests were presented with their loyalty pins, one lady has over 1500 days with Regent, maybe she got stuck in the bathroom on day four? Seriously though that’s a great achievement congratulations.

Regent held a party for the crew last evening in the Explorer lounge, guests were not allowed in quite rightly, they hold a party once a month as a way of thanking them for all their hard work. I bet there will be a few sore heads this morning?

We ate at Prime 7 last evening, we both had steak, mine was a 10 oz filet steak, Mrs Fudge likes her steak well done, by that I mean burnt to a crisp, the chef must pull his hair out, the whole meal was very nice indeed.

We left the restaurant and went to the show, there was a lady called Crystal Cimaglia, Celine in Vegas an International Celine Dion tribute, she was very good indeed.

Bad news today, some guests have the dreaded Covid, they are confined to their suite but are being very well looked after, they posted this information on a Regent what’s app group.  It just goes to show the virus is still alive and kicking!!! The virus is on our deck 4 doors down, I have had it once I certainly don’t want it again!

This evening the clocks go back two hours and we lose a day, we go to bed (Thursday) and wake up on Saturday, how strange is that?

I know what you are all thinking, no dig in the ribs from Mrs Fudge for a few days, well, room service took care of that, coffee and pastries are the order of the day however, we gave it a miss this morning after the huge dinner last evening.   I can now take off the bandages from my ribs!!

Thursday 28th September.

We gave the morning coffee service a miss today, Mr Fudge who normally doesn’t eat pastries is trying to cut back, they are very tempting.

We finally arrived at Dutch harbour, situated between the Pacific Ocean and the Bering Sea on the Aleutian chain, the community of Unalaska Dutch harbour is rich in history. For the last 20 yrs. it has been the top commercial fishing port in the country. Dutch harbour is the main delivery port for the crab fleet featured on the discovery channel hit reality show “the deadliest catch”

Visitors visit the island to play outdoors, including hiking, skiing, sport fishing, kayaking and bird/wildlife watching.

We had breakfast in the Compass Rose, we both had poached eggs with Avocado on rustic bread, it was very tasty indeed.

It looks like the dreaded “C” word has spread around the ship, by that I mean I have seen more crew and guests wearing masks this morning than ever, a wise precaution.

The captain has managed to anchor much closer to the shore, now only a ten-minute tender ride so we will go ashore.  We went ashore, this is my take on it, you can decide for yourselves what you may want to do.

The tender ride was perfect, calm, no more than ten minutes.

You step ashore and wait in line for the next school bus, this time there was only two buses running today. We waited twenty minutes the bus arrived. Once on board it stops three times on its journey, it’s a rickety old bus crammed full, people standing in the isle. The bus stops in three locations, the first problem is that if you get off you may not get back on, the reason being that most people decided to stay on the bus, consequently the people who went early could not get back on board.

We decided at this stage to stay on the bus, it was the same as the first stop full! The national war museum is the next to last stop so if you have the time, you can get off and take a chance of not getting back on until the next bus. Honestly, even on the bus there was very little to see.

Warning: Because we now have covid on board we wore masks on the tender (very full) and the bus even fuller!)

After one hour we returned to the ship, plenty of sea otters playing in the bay, lots of them, that was a pretty sight to see, and bald eagles.

• Like 3

From yesterday

Back on the ship we dined in the Chartreuse. Mr Fudge had the octopus again and he still has Black ink on his face, is that the same when ladies put lipstick on and ends up on their teeth?

Mr and Mrs Fudge separated again; this is becoming a habit now! Mrs Fudge went to see a film she hates golf, Mr Fudge has to go it alone, 3 points, not a bad day. Mrs Fudge came back with a half bag of popcorn, not wanting to sound ungrateful but this afternoon’s canapes were awful, no idea what it was, it didn’t even smell nice!

We had our pre dinner drink as usual then dined in the Compass Rose, Mr Fudge had the Snails which he loves followed by the lobster bisque, for a main he had the duck al orange again one of his favourite meals, a large portion too. Mrs Fudge went for that typical British meal the good old fish and chips, yummy.

We went to the theater, a guy called Reuel was our entertainment for the evening, he is a classical crossover musician and composer, it was a unique virtuoso piano experience, a nice end to the day, Mr Fudge almost fell asleep not because of the entertainment but he was dog tired especially after his third J and B scotch nightcap!

We returned to our suite to find our certificates of crossing the international date line, the 180th Meridian line, this voyage is under the command of captain Luska Kristovic, master of the vessel.

Our two tiny chocolates were there as usual, they were saying eat me, eat me!!

Saturday 29th September

Don’t forget, we lost a day, probably Friday for folks reading this.

Anyway, the dreaded five days at sea, as I mentioned before we have only ever had one sea day in the past so this should be very interesting.

We rose very early as I thought we would because the clocks went back, back to the rib tickler from Mrs Fudge, she is busy on her mail, yesterday was a shocker for internet it was off for most of the day.

We turned on the TV for the morning run down from Paul and his assistant, they give a comprehensive talk on what’s going on, seems like a busy schedule if thats what you want. The crew will be kept very busy I suspect with no one leaving the ship!

Then the dreaded block party video came on, Mrs Fudge grabbed the moment, for a fleeting second, she was frolicking around in front of the camera, that was her minute of fame I guess, Mr Fudge missed all this fun he was snoozing at the time.

Thankfully the sea remains pretty calm, the reception staff were handing out sea sickness tablets to those who felt queasy.  

• Like 1

Yes, the pool has been used but by only one person, obviously where we were in the world it was pretty cool on deck, in fact virtually no body used the deck chairs even though they were laid out every day, certainly no "chair hogs" to bee seen. The hot tubs are hot and people were using them, you could see the steam from them.

• Thanks 1

Because we were awake early this morning Mrs Fudge got the whip out (not what you are thinking) she insisted an early trip to the fitness centre. There we were on the running machine, well not running more of a fast walk, the ship requests that you only occupy the machine for 30 minutes which seems fair to me.

The fitness centre is very well appointed for you fitness freaks, plenty of machines for a work out, open from 7 am until 9 pm

A few words about the explorer. Our first time on her, what a beautiful ship, I can see why folks book with Regent, we have explored every inch of the ship, we are pleased we booked a Penthouse suite it’s a pleasure to return with all its benefits, there only 10 suites on this deck so very quiet.

We have sailed on the Voyager twice; we like her too. As we said before, we have sailed with Silversea and Seabourn but Regent is just edging it at the moment, the crew are just amazing, all smiley faces and anxious to please. Of course, we do have our favourites, the barman on deck 4 is great, always a lovely greeting.

I keep promising myself to visit the cruise consultant, always looking to book another cruise, we are all booked up for 2024, we have one cruise booked for Christmas 2025 Cape town to Cape town, our next cruise is Feb 2024 to celebrate Mrs Fudges birthday, and our something or other wedding anniversary and her late father’s birthday, all on the same day Feb 4th so I am unlikely to forget that date?

Boy is the cruise consultant busy, you can visit her between 9am and 12pm on a sea day, for the afternoon you have to make a reservation, Mr Fudge has a 5 pm reservation tomorrow! I can’t even get to spend my dollars real quick.

We are with Silversea on the Silver Moon, Doha to Muscat; it was a great deal, I couldn’t turn it down for what they were asking.

I just looked, over 6,500 views on my ramblings, where are all you folks? Are you cruising, where in the world are you?

I hope the guests who have COVID are making a speedy recovery, a member of the crew passed us in the hallway fully masked with their breakfast tray.

The internet is very poor again today, very patchy indeed, apparently the satellite is in the wrong position for our location, they hope to fix it soon, sooooo frustrating. Went to see the internet manager, he too is pulling his hair out, he has no idea when we are back on line? If he doesn’t know God help us all.

The captain and the cruise director made a mid-day announcement about the weather, but more importantly the spread of COVID, once it reaches over 1 percent the captain is obliged to make an announcement and remind everyone to take even more precautions while on board.

In addition, the cruise director spoke about the lousy internet connection, it’s been really poor over 36 hours, some guests quite rightly are very annoyed indeed, in this day and age why can they not correct this???  Regent should be ashamed of themselves, shocking service!!

• Like 8

Greetings from Guernsey, Channel Islands. Loving your posts so thank you for these.

We’re joining the ship in Tokyo and there’s not much activity on our roll call so reading your posts with great interest.

Hope you survive all those sea days and that the internet service improves!

David

From yesterday

Mrs Fudge has just shot off to an Abba dance routine, we are having a date line get-together at 2pm to celebrate not having a Friday.

At 11 am we attended the theater, the cruise consultant Bea gave a very comprehensive talk about the Regent fleet and upcoming cruises, if you attended you got a free raffle ticket for a 250-dollar cruise credit, of course you had to stay until the end for the winner’s announcement, guess who won???

Not us!!!

We ate lunch today at the veranda for a change, we were joined by a lovely lady who we met in Vancouver. It was an Indian theme, with spicy food, just right for us, 6 portions for Mr Fudge, just enough, four desserts for Mrs Fudge who has a sweet tooth, just enough.

At 2pm the crew held a “lost Friday” party. Most of the guests turned up, balloons, music and a special cake, lots of dancing end merriment. The reason Mrs Fudge went to the Abba dance class was because the entertainment team taught the guests a dance routine which they performed admirably at the “lost Friday” party.

Covid latest: 24 guests now infected, most of the non-serving crew now masked as are quite a few guests, I have been questioned why I am wearing a mask which I find very strange? All hosted tables are cancelled as are the officers v guests’ games.

The clocks were put back again last evening, if this carries on, we will end up back in Vancouver!!

Last evening another visit to Compass Rose, we dined with a mother and son, they are very well travelled, it nice to hear of experiences from other guests, we were talking so much the crew began clearing the room in preparation for the gala lunch tomorrow.

Yes, you guessed it, boring Mr Fudge had the snails again, Mrs Fudge said I am beginning to look like one!  At 73 yrs. of age who cares, really? Mr Fudge had the pork chop which was very tasty indeed, Mrs Fudge had two very crispy lamb chops, when the waiter served Mrs Fudge his face was a picture, I am sure he was thinking, are you really going to eat that?

Sorry, no photos, my e mail is playing up cannot access Yahoo at all!

• Like 3

Is it Sunday or Monday, I have no idea? Anyway, after a smooth passage last night the sea is being pretty good to us. We are into the second day of five, you know what, its going OK, Regent makes sure there is enough activities to suit everyone.

We woke very very early again, 03.00 hrs, Mr Fudge rushed to his lap top to watch is soccer/football team playing in the UK, the second half was about to begin, we are 12 hours behind the UK at present. Thankfully my team were two goals to the good, with my eyes semi open I manged the rest of the game which thankfully we won. Soccer/football is pretty big in the UK my team are in the lower league but, when you have been supporting them for the best part of 65 yrs., they become part of your life.

At some unearthly hour Mr Fudge asked Mrs Fudge is she going to the fitness centre this morning, Mr Fudge heard a grumpy no from beneath the covers, not to be outdone Mr Fudge went. He jumped on the running machine and off he went, after 10 minutes the sun rose, it was a lovely sight shining on the water below.

When he returned to the suite Mrs Fudge was almost awake, she promises to walk the deck later, we shall see?

We both got ready and with masks on we went to coffee connection, the place was packed, it took a while to get our skinny late but hey what’s the rush, we aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.  

Mrs Fudge decided to go the morning Cha Cha class, Mr Fudge would rather have red hot needles poked in his eyes, so off he went back to the suite, he had to make an urgent telephone call via Skype, guess what, the internet is down again. So, I am not going to rant, I will find out where the top internet guy lives and put smoked kippers under his door!! It won’t fix the internet buy boy it will ease my stress level.

Today the chef and crew laid on a gala brunch in the Compass Rose, the array of food was just amazing, everything you could possibly think of.

We have just received a warning from the captain that tomorrow we need to baton down the hatches, its going to be a rough ride!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2