Buffet question

RICO72

Having read some months ago that individual trays were being phased out in all P&O ship's buffets, and not having cruised since before COVID, I have a query.

I always remember things like pies, crumbles etc. being served in large, individual ramekins which would sit on the hotplates, potentially for some time, and become volcanically hot to the touch. Then the trick of using an unwieldy pie slice to slide said pie/crumble to a waiting tray without a glancing blow on any unprotected skin. I'm not necessarily complaining about the lack of trays (I've read the reasons why) but would love to know how people deal with this 'first world problem' of getting said items to their tables without third degree burns!

1 minute ago, RICO72 said:

Having read some months ago that individual trays were being phased out in all P&O ship's buffets, and not having cruised since before COVID, I have a query.

I always remember things like pies, crumbles etc. being served in large, individual ramekins which would sit on the hotplates, potentially for some time, and become volcanically hot to the touch. Then the trick of using an unwieldy pie slice to slide said pie/crumble to a waiting tray without a glancing blow on any unprotected skin. I'm not necessarily complaining about the lack of trays (I've read the reasons why) but would love to know how people deal with this 'first world problem' of getting said items to their tables without third degree burns!

Use a plate underneath in place of the tray.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Slide the ramekin onto a plate using a spoon, then you can easily carry two😉

If you use a big dinner plate I'm sure you could carry three or four. (More if you use both hands).

• Haha 1

We was on Arvia last week. The problem we found with having no trays are that the plates are so hot you have trouble holding them especially if they are fresh plates. You do then have to use a small plate balanced on the large plate for your bread roll and butter, if not the butter was just a melted puddle by the time you got back to your table

44 minutes ago, Dudleywolf said:

We was on Arvia last week. The problem we found with having no trays are that the plates are so hot you have trouble holding them especially if they are fresh plates. You do then have to use a small plate balanced on the large plate for your bread roll and butter, if not the butter was just a melted puddle by the time you got back to your table

Get the large plate from the salad area, I also use a cold large plate to carry the soup bowl.

• Like 1

Most of the time we did not mind not having a tray, however it did involve having to take it in turns going up to the buffet to get food to ensure that you didn't lose your seat. After two weeks we did get it down to a fine art, knowing who would bring what and when and saving on extra trips. Like others, my main gripe was hot plates, particularly the hot cereal bowls- it always left my milk lukewarm instead of cold- something no one wants surely lol.

45 minutes ago, GINGERWILDCAT said:

On Arvia Did I read that there’s a buffet area that does late night curries?🤣

Yes you did. A lot of staff go there late for food. There’s a reasonable selection of hot and cold food. I went for the hot chocolate but somehow always found myself having cheese and biscuits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GINGERWILDCAT said:

On Arvia Did I read that there’s a buffet area that does late night curries?🤣

Not specifically curries at late night snacks but there is varied hot meals if wanted and also lamb doner meat under a fancy name some evenings. For me it was just usually a hot chocolate and cheese and biscuits.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RICO72 said:

On Arvia at the moment and there are no trays in the buffet BUT if you need one you can ask for one or use an extra plate for the pie/hot puds as a tray. Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Has anyone taken their own tray ? 

I saw a family on Aurora in July with their own trays. They were only half the size of the normal trays. Could only fit one large plate on it so, in my opinion, a waste of time and effort.

As a solo traveller I worried about how I would cope, but I managed fine. Got meal, left it on table with obviously unused napkin and cutlery, a nod to a neighbouring table, which indicated my intention, and got my tea and/or dessert. Never had any problems.

• Like 2

I use the buffet for a quick breakfast or lunch inbetween other activities. I can't imagine going back to the cabin before and after for my tray. On Arvia or Iona (even Britannia) that could be adding an extra 20 minutes to my mealtime (which only took 10 minutes anyway). The inconvenience would outweigh any advantage. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I saw a family on Aurora in July with their own trays. They were only half the size of the normal trays. Could only fit one large plate on it so, in my opinion, a waste of time and effort.

As a solo traveller I worried about how I would cope, but I managed fine. Got meal, left it on table with obviously unused napkin and cutlery, a nod to a neighbouring table, which indicated my intention, and got my tea and/or dessert. Never had any problems.

We sailed on Sky Princess in July, and had no problems in the buffet without trays. So my initial concerns proved unfounded, it did necessitate 2 journeys, as I have to collect my wifes as well, however hot drinks and juices were brought round by waiters, so that helped.