Question on Time Change During The Cruise

JimmyVWine

Yes, this question can seem completely irrelevant, but humor me.  We have a cruise booked that includes three straight Sea Days between Cadiz, Spain and Southampton, UK.  (It's a one-off repo itinerary, so not much out there in the way of Patters to look at.) There is a one hour difference between the two ports, so at some point we will be changing our clocks.   Does anyone know (or have an educated guess) as to when we will make that change?  We booked a port-side cabin intentionally so that our Sea Days would position us with a nice sunset view for drinks on our Cabana/Balcony.  If we stay on Spain's time, sunset would be around 8:25 for these days.  If we change to UK time, sunset would be around 7:25.  So for purposes of planning our dinner reservations, it actually does make a difference. (Dinner then sunset cocktails, or sunset cocktails and then dinner).  Anyone have a guess?   

Based on experiencing two time zone changes so far with Princess, I’d guess they take an aggressive approach.  In both cases, they have shifted time zones before we reached the next port, in each case a day earlier than necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with BamaVol. You'll probably change your clocks the night you embark. I think Princess avoids changing clocks on the last night cuz not everyone will get the message and there would be too many people off an hour during disembarkation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Yes, this question can seem completely irrelevant, but humor me.  We have a cruise booked that includes three straight Sea Days between Cadiz, Spain and Southampton, UK.  (It's a one-off repo itinerary, so not much out there in the way of Patters to look at.) There is a one hour difference between the two ports, so at some point we will be changing our clocks.   Does anyone know (or have an educated guess) as to when we will make that change?  We booked a port-side cabin intentionally so that our Sea Days would position us with a nice sunset view for drinks on our Cabana/Balcony.  If we stay on Spain's time, sunset would be around 8:25 for these days.  If we change to UK time, sunset would be around 7:25.  So for purposes of planning our dinner reservations, it actually does make a difference. (Dinner then sunset cocktails, or sunset cocktails and then dinner).  Anyone have a guess?   

I would guess you will change to UK time 2 days before arrival there.

Normally, they do not change the day before arriving in port.

Happy sunsets!

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting question,  Cadiz is actually further west than much of the British isles,  Portugal is only a few hours drive away from Cadiz and is on the same time zone as the UK.    If you call into Portugal I would guess the clocks would change for that.

Is your itinerary Cadiz on Thursday, Lisbon on Friday? Lisbon is one hour behind Cadiz. It's a fairly accurate assumption that the clocks would be turned back 1 hour overnight between Cadiz and Lisbon. Lisbon and Southampton are on the same time. No changes sailing between these two ports.  

5 minutes ago, skynight said:

Is your itinerary Cadiz on Thursday, Lisbon on Friday? Lisbon is one hour behind Cadiz. It's a fairly accurate assumption that the clocks would be turned back 1 hour overnight between Cadiz and Lisbon. Lisbon and Southampton are on the same time. No changes sailing between these two ports.  

OP didn’t make mention of Lisbon stop. That definitely would change things.  
Then, the clock would change the night before arrival In Lisbon, if it’s only 1 day between ports.

27 minutes ago, skynight said:

18 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

OP didn’t make mention of Lisbon stop. That definitely would change things.  
Then, the clock would change the night before arrival In Lisbon, if it’s only 1 day between ports.

Jimmy stated that the voyage was three straight sea days.  There are no port stops.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Jimmy stated that the voyage was three straight sea days.  There are no port stops.

I can't find any Princess itinerary that stops at Cadiz with 3 straight days at sea before ending at Southampton. Which one is it? In any case if this is the situation then I would plan on the time change the evening that the ship sails from Cadiz. If different dinner plans can be easily revised. 

7 minutes ago, skynight said:

The only Princess itineraries I could locate that stop at Cadiz on the way to Southampton stop at Lisbon the following day. It would have been helpful if we had the itinerary.

I found the Sun does that Sep 7 out of Athens to Southampton.

Straight from Cadiz to Southampton. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hawk/hornfan said:

We arrive in Galveston from our 10/24 Regal cruise on 11/5. DST happens at 2am. So we get an extra hour on the ship, although sleeping.

Yes I have same thing arriving in Fort Lauderdale.  I'll rarely turn down an extra hour of sleep but it's definitely going to make for a long day getting home with the return flight being almost 7pm.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

The only Princess itineraries I could locate that stop at Cadiz on the way to Southampton stop at Lisbon the following day. It would have been helpful if we had the itinerary.

The itinerary is 

Cadiz

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Southampton (overnight)

Southampton Disembark. 

No Lisbon or any port in Portugal despite sailing just west of that country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I can't find any Princess itinerary that stops at Cadiz with 3 straight days at sea before ending at Southampton. Which one is it?

9 Day European Explorer on Sun Princess departing Barcelona on 9/14/24 which is the back end of the Athens to Southampton cruise mentioned above. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

True and a couple do it at noon.

That’s all sorts of crazy. If a ship moves West and sets its time back one hour, and the airplane toss event is scheduled to take place at 11:00 a.m. in the Piazza, does the event take place the first time it is 11:00, the second time it is 11:00 or does it take place twice??  You’d be on a ship but would feel more like you’re in a DeLorean. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

If a ship moves West and sets its time back one hour

I have only known the clocks to go forward at noon, not back. The argument is that putting clocks forward at noon means that the crew do not loose an hour's sleep

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I have only known the clocks to go forward at noon, not back. The argument is that putting clocks forward at noon means that the crew do not loose an hour's sleep

Backwards would add another hour to their workday.  I haven’t see that noon change in a few years, Pre Covid.  It was a Pacific crossing.  I don’t believe many Captains would do that. JMO

We were just on a Med cruise out of Southampton on the Sky that started and ended with 2 sea days. Our first port was Cadiz and the clock moved forward an hour on the second sea day at 2 am. On the way back to Southampton the clock went back an hour on the last evening before we docked in Southampton which rather surprised me. But it made it extra easy to get up and off the ship in a timely manner.