Questions on travel to Antarctica via Santiago on Silver Wind

EbonyJ

12 hours ago, ropomo said:

Don't know if the questions about the photo academy are refering to the photo studio, but here is a link for Silver Wind. Scroll down to Public areas and then right to photo studio

Best and Luxurious Cruise Ship – Silver Wind | Silversea

Hi - yes thank you @ropomo this is what I was referring to.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using this studio/service and the approximate costs involved e.g. is there a charge for using the studio, getting advice/support or just for the prints?  I read somewhere that the photo team shoot / record your expedition and you can buy this (memory stick???) from Silversea instead of creating your own.  Has anyone used this service and does anyone know approximate cost?  

Many thanks 

1 hour ago, EbonyJ said:

the photo team shoot / record your expedition and you can buy this (memory stick???)

That is distributed to everyone free of charge. In ancient times it was $150 (as in, our first few expedition cruises in 2009 and 2011) but not recently.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

That is distributed to everyone free of charge. In ancient times it was $150 (as in, our first few expedition cruises in 2009 and 2011) but not recently.

That is great to know!   Thank you,  

On 9/24/2023 at 12:26 PM, alithecat said:

We paid $90 + $100 deposit, as @EbonyJ quoted, last year. They were not $50.
Rent in advance from shiptoshore. Do not expect to find your size on the ship.

What happens if the pre-ordered rental boots don't fit well?  Are there extras in other sizes that you can switch to?

1 hour ago, Primus said:

Are there extras in other sizes that you can switch to?

It depends.  Yes, there are extras. But, they do not carry much inventory. So, it really comes down to when you are called to try on your selections. Obviously, the earlier you’re called, the more likely you can switch sizes, if necessary.

Also on Silver Wind to Antarctica mid December.  Decided to purchase boots (and bring them from Australia) - Bogs Classic High with handles (I think Bogs Classic High are what is supplied on board). Considerably more than US$90, but having a bit of a 'foot issue', I didn't want to risk any ill-fitting gear and a trivial increment on the overall cost. 

Speaking of fitting gear .... the parka.  They say measure yourself, and then order the size off the chart.  Do I understand it correctly that the size chart takes account of layers you will be wearing when using the parker?  That is, the parka will be a size or so bigger than what your measurements would translate to, say, for a shirt?

3 hours ago, Pumblechook said:

Speaking of fitting gear .... the parka.  They say measure yourself, and then order the size off the chart.  Do I understand it correctly that the size chart takes account of layers you will be wearing when using the parker?  That is, the parka will be a size or so bigger than what your measurements would translate to, say, for a shirt?

That's a reasonable start. I've found them true to size, much looser than a comparable shirt of the same size, and they allow for layers underneath (within reason!).

If the size provided on board is not to your liking they will have a parka exchange early on - usually the first full day after boarding. Simply try yours on when you board (it will be waiting in your suite). If it doesn't fit to your liking, leave the tags attached to your parka, and exchange it for a new one in the size you'd like.

2 hours ago, Port Power said:

I read that passengers would be emailed in due course to order their parkas.  Is that still true?  I’m still about 10 weeks out.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Just go online and order yours. Here is the website:

https://silversea.shiptoshoretraveler.com/parkaorder1

• Thanks 2

On 10/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, jpalbny said:

That's a reasonable start. I've found them true to size, much looser than a comparable shirt of the same size, and they allow for layers underneath (within reason!).

Great, thanks.   Reason for my uncertainty was this.

Under "Complimentary parka" they say:

It is important to supply accurate measurements taking into account extra layers (sweaters, fleeces, etc.) you may be wearing. The parkas are made to order and will be delivered to the guest(s)’ suite prior to embarkation. 

So you measure and then you make allowance for layers underneath,

And then, under "Antarctica jackets" they say:

We recommend guests take accurate body measurements. Size chart measurements refer to body size and have taken into consideration space for layering.  Select the size that corresponds to the widest body measurement (chest/bust, waist or hips).

So its already taking layers into account on the size chart.  😶‍🌫️

On my measurements, I'm at the top of the XL range, so I think I'll order 2XL and either swap if too large or wear an extra jumper underneath.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 3:26 PM, Stumblefoot said:

It depends.  Yes, there are extras. But, they do not carry much inventory. So, it really comes down to when you are called to try on your selections. Obviously, the earlier you’re called, the more likely you can switch sizes, if necessary.

Never the case on our trips, the boots have been in our suites along with the parkas.

We were on the Cloud for an Antarctic trip in November 2018. We bought our own boots and have been pleased we did as we've used them on 2 Arctic trips since then. However, they DID have LOTS of loan (not hire!!) boots on the Cloud and plenty of people used them. I called SS to find out about this before our trip and I was told they had a few but couldn't guarantee they would have our sizes. We didn't want to risk it so took our own but they seemed to have ALL sizes!! These were boots belonging to SS and not from Ship to Shore who didn't actually have a hire service on our particular cruise - though wouldn't have considered it anyway as I bought mine for less than the hire prices quoted for later cruises.

They also had loads of excess parkas on board and lots of people exchanged the ones they had for smaller/bigger sizes if the ones waiting in their cabins didn't fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/25/2023 at 1:04 AM, Port Power said:

Okay, I’m convinced!  I will look up where I can purchase.  For those experienced in Arctic travel, would you wear the same boots for Iceland-to-Greenland in June?

The Antarctic boots would be overkill for Iceland/Greenland in June. You're likely to have a fair bit of rain, but a good pair of hiking shoes will serve just fine. Very limited penguin poop in either country 😁  ... 🍺🥌.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

The Antarctic boots would be overkill for Iceland/Greenland in June.

True in that you don't need insulated boots. But you will need tall rubber boots for wet landings if you are on an expedition cruise that uses Zodiacs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FauxNom said:

True in that you don't need insulated boots. But you will need tall rubber boots for wet landings if you are on an expedition cruise that uses Zodiacs.

Absolutely correct. I remember at least one wet landing during our Iceland voyage in 2019. Boots were definitely necessary for that.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 2:25 AM, Port Power said:

I read that passengers would be emailed in due course to order their parkas.  Is that still true?  I’m still about 10 weeks out.

Port, we were notified weeks ago about ordering parkas etc.  Actually middle of August.     https://silversea.shiptoshoretraveler.com/faq

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

Port, we were notified weeks ago about ordering parkas etc.  Actually middle of August.     https://silversea.shiptoshoretraveler.com/faq

Thank you for the link.  I’ll take care of that as soon as I return home at the end of the month.  I wonder why I didn’t receive a notification email?