Sapphire Princess Window rooms (that are actually balconies)

shiner6

Can someone who has sailed in one of these rooms please tell me why they are the last ones to be booked? Is therr a problem with being at the very front (Bow)?  We usually prefer aft rooms, however on our next trip to Alaska---I noted these rooms are still available at a good price. I realize that the balconies are used only when in port, but what else is there to know?

20 hours ago, skynight said:

After dark you are asked to keep the blackout curtains closed so that light does not effect sight from the bridge. 

Thank you. Are there any reasons why you would or would not sail in this room again?

No balcony furniture is provided with these cabins.  They are not the same as the DW category on Royal class.  If you just want a view and occasionally stepping outside and not prone to motion sickness, then these cabins would be fine.  If you’re looking for a balcony to sit on with chairs and table, then not for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had one of these cabins on the Diamond Princess  (sister ship to Sapphire) in July - B101 and it did have balcony furniture.

There was a sign near the balcony door that the bridge could control the balcony lights but no instructions about keeping curtains closed at night or restrictions on the use of the balcony.  It was an extra large balcony partly covered and considered obstructed view because the solid metal railing.

I assume these cabins on the Sapphire are the same..  I would book this again.

• Like 2

I am booked in one of the 10 Ocean View Category O5 cabins on the 10/08 Sapphire sailing and was able to use the Princess Upgrade bid process to switch from an Inside at a (for me) reasonable cost ($130 pp).  Booking it directly would have been, IMHO, very expensive - more than some Balcony categories! 

Having even a tiny balcony is, for me, better than no window at all.

I like the fact the cabins are all the way forward AND thus should have minimal traffic outside my cabin door albeit a long walk to anywhere (the more exercise, the better). Many folks do NOT want to walk, for various reasons, and thus avoid these cabins. 

A Google search provided a link to photos of these cabins but it is at a website that sells cruises so it cannot be mentioned here.

Postings here on other threads mentioned that even though the balcony door is to be locked when not in port, it was never locked in their experience.  Obviously, when the ship is in motion, the wind would be a problem.

Hope this info helps.  Bon Voyage! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LBCABob said:

I am booked in one of the 10 Ocean View Category O5 cabins on the 10/08 Sapphire sailing and was able to use the Princess Upgrade bid process to switch from an Inside at a (for me) reasonable cost ($130 pp).  Booking it directly would have been, IMHO, very expensive - more than some Balcony categories! 

I like the fact the cabins are all the way forward AND thus should have minimal traffic outside my cabin door albeit a long walk to anywhere (the more exercise, the better). Many folks do NOT want to walk, for various reasons, and thus avoid these cabins. 

A Google search provided a link to photos of these cabins but it is at a website that sells cruises so it cannot be mentioned here.

Postings here on other threads mentioned that even though the balcony door is to be locked when not in port, it was never locked in their experience.  Obviously, when the ship is in motion, the wind would be a problem.

Can't wait to hear your experience with this type of cabin!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LBCABob said:

Thank you very much--please post again after your trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone - we're back after our 11 day California coast cruise. 

As promised, I'm back to report on our cabin, B100 at the bow of the Sapphire Princess.

Well, my husband would very happily stay in this room on every cruise. He absolutely loved it, and I liked it very much too. 

The doors were never, ever locked. We did have balcony furniture. In fact, near the end of the cruise all balcony furniture was replaced, including ours, and we gained two foot stools.  

The views were great, especially in ports where we were facing downtown - specifically San Diego and San Francisco. 

I'm attached a few photos to illustrate.

We really enjoyed this cruise. The food in the buffet and dining room was good and sometimes very good, and always hot.  We ate in Sabatinis and Alfredos (which was usually almost empty) twice, and those meals were excellent.  I'm a pescatarian and my husband is a vegetarian and we had no trouble finding things we enjoyed. My husband usually ordered from the separate vegan menu, which was always available upon request.

Overall, for an older ship, the Sapphire is in pretty good shape.  Our only disappointment was the entertainment. My son and I enjoyed better entertainment options on our last cruise in June on the Crown Princess. I'm not including the production shows in this assessment as we didn't go to any.

We did, however, have a retired Canada Major and former Top Gun jet pilot and instructor (and many other things), Dale Erhart. He gave a presentation on every sea day - on Top Gun and other aviation topics. He was fantastic, and very popular. Standing room only in Explorer's where he was speaking. 

I'm happy to try and answer any questions!

Dropbox.zip

2023-10-03 22.00.24.jpg

2023-10-03 22.18.16.jpg

2023-10-05 06.46.58.jpg

2023-10-06 09.22.30.jpg

2023-10-06 09.22.46.jpg

Edited by SeaCBear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning! 

I had pretty much the same experience on the Sapphire as SeaCBear.  Other than the long walk to pretty much anywhere, this cabin is perfect (especially for a solo cruiser).

Was surprised as to the size of the balcony - much larger than expected - and with new furniture, too!

Would book again if had the opportunity.

Bon Voyage, Everyone! 

• Like 1