B2B from Sydney Procedures

Wineaux007

We are doing a B2B from HNL to SYD then SYD to SIN.  When we arrive Sydney, what procedures will we incur?  I read somewhere a while back that all the B2Bers have to disembark the ship and go thru immigration when we arrive Sydney.  Once completed, if you reboard the ship for the 2nd leg, you aren't allowed to leave the ship after that.  Is that the case?  We want to tour a bit of Sydney on turnaround day, but from what I read, if you reboard the ship, you are stuck on board until it sails.

• Thanks 1

We did Sydney to Honolulu, Honolulu to Vancouver in April.  You will be issed new cards for the second leg.  You do have to scan off the ship even if you don't want to go ashore, they take your cards for the first leg and you use your new cards to get back on.  We were absolutely allowed to go on shore on turnaround day.  They will have a meeting for anyone doing B2B and explain it all.  I keep the key cards from every cruise, they let me pick the cards from the first leg up at guest relations a few days into the second cruise.

19 minutes ago, skatelady said:

We did Sydney to Honolulu, Honolulu to Vancouver in April.  You will be issed new cards for the second leg.  You do have to scan off the ship even if you don't want to go ashore, they take your cards for the first leg and you use your new cards to get back on.  We were absolutely allowed to go on shore on turnaround day.  They will have a meeting for anyone doing B2B and explain it all.  I keep the key cards from every cruise, they let me pick the cards from the first leg up at guest relations a few days into the second cruise.

I've done many B2B's and very familiar with change over day, scan off/on, yada, yada, yada.  My question is Sydney.  I understand the procedures are different there.  That's why I am asking about doing a transpacific to Sydney then B2B following.  I understand Sydney has different rules for getting on/off the ship.

• Like 1

Yes, Australia has different rules than most B2Bs.

As I recall, you will need to exit the ship so they can "zero it out" and know all pax have disembarked, either at the end of their sailing or as a B2B.  You will have been issued your new ship cards.  Yes, you will definitely need to pass through immigration on your way out.  Unless rules have changed, you will not be allowed back on the ship immediately (I remember something like must be off at 10:00, first return at 11:30).  Again, unless rules have changed, you can do whatever you want after you disembark, just as long as you are back in time for all aboard and muster for the next leg. 

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

We are doing a B2B from HNL to SYD then SYD to SIN.  When we arrive Sydney, what procedures will we incur?  I read somewhere a while back that all the B2Bers have to disembark the ship and go thru immigration when we arrive Sydney.  Once completed, if you reboard the ship for the 2nd leg, you aren't allowed to leave the ship after that.  Is that the case?  We want to tour a bit of Sydney on turnaround day, but from what I read, if you reboard the ship, you are stuck on board until it sails.

I believe you’re information is correct. If you reboard, you are stuck on board.  Or you can go explore and return in time for the new departure.

Earlier her this year in Sydney, we were all required to get off and were not allowed back on for about two hours. There was no place to go that had seating, restrooms etc.   no waiting area in the terminal.  I hunted for a place with some shade to wait it out until allowed back on board.  It might have been nice to go see something of Sydney but I was using a mobility scooter so that wasn’t really an option. I parked in the shade and waited until the guards let us back on.

interestingly, I spoke to some passengers who had done a back to back on royal Caribbean a month or so, before my trip on Celebrity ???. They not only had to disembark and go through immigration, they had to take all their luggage off the ship and back on!   I was very worried they would make us do the same but they didn’t. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I believe you’re information is correct. If you reboard, you are stuck on board.  Or you can go explore and return in time for the new departure.

Earlier her this year in Sydney, we were all required to get off and were not allowed back on for about two hours. There was no place to go that had seating, restrooms etc.   no waiting area in the terminal.  I hunted for a place with some shade to wait it out until allowed back on board.  It might have been nice to go see something of Sydney but I was using a mobility scooter so that wasn’t really an option. I parked in the shade and waited until the guards let us back on.

interestingly, I spoke to some passengers who had done a back to back on royal Caribbean a month or so, before my trip on Celebrity ???. They not only had to disembark and go through immigration, they had to take all their luggage off the ship and back on!   I was very worried they would make us do the same but they didn’t. 

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'll just plan on getting off and staying off until required to reboard for departure.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Yes, Australia has different rules than most B2Bs.

As I recall, you will need to exit the ship so they can "zero it out" and know all pax have disembarked, either at the end of their sailing or as a B2B.  You will have been issued your new ship cards.  Yes, you will definitely need to pass through immigration on your way out.  Unless rules have changed, you will not be allowed back on the ship immediately (I remember something like must be off at 10:00, first return at 11:30).  Again, unless rules have changed, you can do whatever you want after you disembark, just as long as you are back in time for all aboard and muster for the next leg. 

This is exactly what happened to us in March this year. As well as the new sea pass cards which you will need to get back on board so take them with you, you will get a "magic" card that allows to use a fast channel to board whenever you do return bypassing the others checking in.

• Like 2

Through the years we have had a number of turnaround days in Sydney including one while the OPT was being expanded.  This spring we were on a B2B2B2B with all turnaround days in Sydney.  In any event, Celebrity uses the Overseas Passenger Terminal and not White Bay.  So the ship is docked across from the iconic Opera House and in the Rocks area of the city.  

Sydney is unique in that all B2B passengers must exit the ship.  The turnaround process cannot be conducted on an outer deck.  Transit passes are issued so it is easy to return once the boarding of embarking passengers has commenced.  And once B2B passengers are back on board they cannot leave the ship.  There will be a member of the boarding staff positioned on the upper level of the OPT reminding folks that once they are on board they cannot leave the ship, but some folks just can't listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Through the years we have had a number of turnaround days in Sydney including one while the OPT was being expanded.  This spring we were on a B2B2B2B with all turnaround days in Sydney.  In any event, Celebrity uses the Overseas Passenger Terminal and not White Bay.  So the ship is docked across from the iconic Opera House and in the Rocks area of the city.  

Sydney is unique in that all B2B passengers must exit the ship.  The turnaround process cannot be conducted on an outer deck.  Transit passes are issued so it is easy to return once the boarding of embarking passengers has commenced.  And once B2B passengers are back on board they cannot leave the ship.  There will be a member of the boarding staff positioned on the upper level of the OPT reminding folks that once they are on board they cannot leave the ship, but some folks just can't listen.

Thank you for all the information. We are sailing from Honolulu to Hong Kong, and this will be our first experience with B2Bs.  We're in the same cabin the whole way so the idea of taking all of our luggage, as "cruisestich"  mentioned with Royal Caribbean, does not sound like something we'd enjoy at all ... LOL

We haven't planned for any excursions in Sydney, except maybe a Big Red Bus tour.  Any recommendations for a one-day stop?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Desert Cruiser said:

We haven't planned for any excursions in Sydney, except maybe a Big Red Bus tour.  Any recommendations for a one-day stop?

The Overseas Passenger Terminal is located at Circular Quay in the centre of the city. From there you can walk around The Rocks area, the Opera House ( take an insiders tour) and The Botanic Gardens.
You have easy access to  ferries to the Zoo, Watson’s Bay or Manly. There are also harbour cruises for tourists. The light rail will take you up to The Pitt St Mall if you’re interested in shopping. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  Visit the MCA and State Library.

Depending on how much time you have you can also do day trips out of the city, but if this is your first visit there’s plenty to see / do locally. 

Edited by Boatharbour
Typo
  • Like 2

There are certain cities which are wonderful for B2B passengers on a turnaround day -- and Sydney is certainly one of them.  The OPT is located right where the "action is" so to speak.  The Rocks area is the oldest Sydney neighborhood and is filled with interesting buildings (which have  plaques on them with their history) in addition to the Rocks Discovery Center (think museum).

But for those who find themselves in the situation "cruise stitch" found herself in the Museum of Contemporary Art is essentially across and down slightly from the OPT.  The collection is edgy and is not for everyone.  Admission is free.  On the top level there is a lovely cafe with great food and views of the city.  While we were there last spring the restaurant was closed for renovations, but also has great food.  And there is a lovely gift store on the ground floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Sydney is unique in that all B2B passengers must exit the ship.  The turnaround process cannot be conducted on an outer deck. 

Same procedure in Melbourne and, I would expect, in Adelaide and Fremantle.  

2 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

The Overseas Passenger Terminal is located at Circular Quay in the centre of the city. From there you can walk around The Rocks area, the Opera House ( take an insiders tour) and The Botanic Gardens.
You have easy access to  ferries to the Zoo, Watson’s Bay or Manly. There are also harbour cruises for tourists. The light rail will take you up to The Pitt St Mall if you’re interested in shopping. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  Visit the MCA and State Library.

Depending on how much time you have you can also do day trips out of the city, but if this is your first visit there’s plenty to see / do locally. 

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

There are certain cities which are wonderful for B2B passengers on a turnaround day -- and Sydney is certainly one of them.  The OPT is located right where the "action is" so to speak.  The Rocks area is the oldest Sydney neighborhood and is filled with interesting buildings (which have  plaques on them with their history) in addition to the Rocks Discovery Center (think museum).

But for those who find themselves in the situation "cruise stitch" found herself in the Museum of Contemporary Art is essentially across and down slightly from the OPT.  The collection is edgy and is not for everyone.  Admission is free.  On the top level there is a lovely cafe with great food and views of the city.  While we were there last spring the restaurant was closed for renovations, but also has great food.  And there is a lovely gift store on the ground floor.

Thank you very much Boatharbour and Northern Aurora! We really appreciate all the information. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time exploring Sydney.

5 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

I'm doing the b2b from Hawaii to Singapore.

Ship is in Sydney for about 12hrs minus the time for customs.

I dont see the insiders tour for the Opera house?

https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/tours-and-experiences

What's the name of the zoo?

Any other recommendations for tours? (solo male)

Thx

40 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

I'm doing the b2b from Hawaii to Singapore.

Ship is in Sydney for about 12hrs minus the time for customs.

I dont see the insiders tour for the Opera house?

https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/tours-and-experiences

What's the name of the zoo?

Any other recommendations for tours? (solo male)

Thx

It’s the backstage tour listed in the Opera House link. Plenty of eating venues and places to sit and have a drink outside. The Kings St wharf area also has good dining options. 
The Sydney Harbour Bridge climb is fantastic if you’re ok with heights. 
Taronga Zoo can be accessed by ferry. It overlooks the harbour. You’ll see many of our native animals. There are lovely harbour foreshore walk around there too. 
If you want to see outside the city you could take a day trip to The Blue Mountains or Port Stephens. Both would involve 4-5 hours round trip driving by coach though. 

Happy to answer any more questions if you let me know your interests. 

• Thanks 1

We were on a B3B from Sydney to Vancouver this past April, which the first leg was a 3-day RT Sydney “cruise to nowhere”. On page Page 7 at post #155 on my below Live From thread is the written B2B guidance we got from the ship regarding the turnaround day in Sydney between legs 1 and 2. Hope this helps explain what the rules were back in April. BTW if you go to post #170, you’ll see what we saw at 5:45 am when we were arriving back into Sydney Harbor. 😁

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2929853-live-from-the-eclipse-apr-19-may-21-sydney-to-honolulu-to-vancouver-b3b-in-an-aqua-cabin/

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are doing a B2B departing Sydney to cruise New Zealand and then return before cruising to S Australia and Tasmania  I assume we will need to go through customs after returning from NZ. Is it pretty much the same as being discussed.  

den

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

We are doing a B2B departing Sydney to cruise New Zealand and then return before cruising to S Australia and Tasmania  I assume we will need to go through customs after returning from NZ. Is it pretty much the same as being discussed.  

den

Very simple answer -- yes.  

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 4:58 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

We were on a B3B from Sydney to Vancouver this past April, which the first leg was a 3-day RT Sydney “cruise to nowhere”. On page Page 7 at post #155 on my below Live From thread is the written B2B guidance we got from the ship regarding the turnaround day in Sydney between legs 1 and 2. Hope this helps explain what the rules were back in April. BTW if you go to post #170, you’ll see what we saw at 5:45 am when we were arriving back into Sydney Harbor. 😁

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2929853-live-from-the-eclipse-apr-19-may-21-sydney-to-honolulu-to-vancouver-b3b-in-an-aqua-cabin/

Thank you for the information and the great pics!  We'll have our alarms set to go off early.

• Like 1