Urgent help - parents passport stolen in Athens

Mark_UK

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Not sure why they would say that a UK emergency passport would not be accepted for cruise. Do not know about the restrictions on their emergency passports.

However with US passports an emergency passport works just fine. We are currently on a small 50 passenger ship (Elixir Elysium). One of the passengers had their passport stolen, was able to get an emergency passport good for 6 months and was able to board just fine.

I would suggest having them get an emergency passport as soon as the embassy opens (they are going to beed that anyway). While they are doing that you can do more research into the nature of a UK emergency passport, when they expire and if there are any limitations that would prevent them from bring accepted by Celebrity.

Thanks, it seems the issue is that both Israel and Egypt do not accept emergency travel docs for entry or transit, only exit. The cruise is basically overnighting in both countries and the only other stop is Turkey. 

Thanks for the replies all, just managed to get some sleep but back now.

Fully appreciate this isn't really Celebrity's issue but was quite surprised to hear them say we had to speak via a travel agent given the circumstances. I'll try the executive office later. 

It appears the main issue is that neither Egypt or Israel (two main destinations) take emergency passports for entry or transit, only exit, so I think that may be the end of their dream trip. 

They will be heading to the British Embassy this morning regardless to see what they advise. Apex leaves.on Tuesday so they have today to sort it. The local police weren't particularly helpful by the sounds of it. 

On leaving stuff in hotels. Seems they put cash in the safe but sadly forgot about the passports which surprises me as they're normally very diligent about this kind of thing. They had only just arrived in Athens so I guess the excitement maybe played a role. Lesson for all of us I guess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

Also perhaps contact the executive office at celebrity, don’t just go by the regular customer service number which I’ve found the phone reps really don’t know much. 

Thanks, any idea of the number for this? I can only find an email. We're wondering if it's possible to have them moved onto a cruise that leaves in 20 days time on the same itinerary and ship. 

I found this by searching CC boards. It may be worth a try 🤷🏼‍♀️

Hope things work out for your parents.

‘The emergency contact number is on the back of your Seapass card. It reads:

In case of emergency while in any worldwide port, call our emergency travel team in the U.S. collect 1 305 982 2700

We know this works because we had to use it on our cruise last month. The travel team contacted the ship and resolvedeverything in an expeditious manner (10 min.). Very satisfied.’

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, champagnecruiser said:

I found this by searching CC boards. It may be worth a try 🤷🏼‍♀️

Hope things work out for your parents.

‘The emergency contact number is on the back of your Seapass card. It reads:

In case of emergency while in any worldwide port, call our emergency travel team in the U.S. collect 1 305 982 2700

We know this works because we had to use it on our cruise last month. The travel team contacted the ship and resolvedeverything in an expeditious manner (10 min.). Very satisfied.’

Thank you for this 

• Like 1

Celebrity really can't help as by law the rules for the countries are what count. If a new passport can be issued they may be able to join the cruise at one of the ports ( depending on the port). Other than that insurance may cover costs of losing their dream vacation. Check credit card as some cover parts of this as well.

Are they 100% sure they were stolen from Hotel and not left somewhere or tucked into a bag safely? (am sure they have checked and checked again, but I just wondered) maybe the hotel will have them handed in?? Long shot..... Seems such an odd thing to steal. I really hope that they can get a resolution that means they can enjoy their cruise, hoping for a happy ending to this tale.  

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, ladylemondrop said:

Are they 100% sure they were stolen from Hotel and not left somewhere or tucked into a bag safely? (am sure they have checked and checked again, but I just wondered) maybe the hotel will have them handed in?? Long shot..... Seems such an odd thing to steal. I really hope that they can get a resolution that means they can enjoy their cruise, hoping for a happy ending to this tale.  

Must confess I was thinking exactly the same…So easy to just push passports in a pocket as you go from passport control to luggage collection or as you check in to drop them in the hand luggage that they shouldn’t be in ‘just until you get up to your room…’. 

🤞 for your parents. Please keep us updated…

• Like 5

Have them the check everything.  We were at the airport ( 4 hours from our home) ready to board a plan to Rome and could not find my passport.  After having a meltdown, I looked thru my carryon bag and there it was in a different handbag ( in an inside pocket). I had decided to switch bags last minute. 

I agree it would be of little use to steal someone’s passport.  

Please let us know what happens.  

• Like 6

My friend lost his passport and the Spain Embassy issue him the emergency document and its good for staying on the ship but not getting off until the final destination.

The ship does accept the Emergency document and they will kept the docment until the final destination.

Just go get the Emergency document and go check in and it should have no problem.

Anyway they need the document to travel back to UK.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1

I agree they should calmly search again, maybe one at a time. Every pants pocket, every jacket pocket, every book that it might have dropped into, sofa cushions, floor, drawers.  I assume that they are sure that the hotel took a photo of their passports and returned it to them?  Maybe the hotel needs to do some searching to confirm they were returned to them. 

• Like 2

If they didn’t get off the ship in Egypt or Israel they may be able to still enjoy some of the cruise. 

I would second the comments about searching again though, we too have had that panic of it was definitely in that place and it’s not there any more only to find whatever vital thing put somewhere else safe. Especially with passports you have in your hand in the airport and then stick it away quickly to do something else. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Thanks for the replies all, just managed to get some sleep but back now.

Fully appreciate this isn't really Celebrity's issue but was quite surprised to hear them say we had to speak via a travel agent given the circumstances. I'll try the executive office later. 

Since they booked through a travel agent, the agent owns the reservation and is the only one who can talk to Celebrity about changes to the reservation.  It's possible that if they get an emergency passport it wouldn't be in time for initial boarding, and instead would have to catch up to the ship at a later port of call.  They would be akin to a change in the reservation and the travel agent would likely need to make those arrangements.  Perhaps that is why Celebrity is saying they need to go through their TA?  

28 minutes ago, love to cruz said:

We have a son in law who is an FBI agent. He said always keep your passports locked in a safe. Passports are worth over $40,000 on the black market. He also advised to always keep a copy with you.

I was told by my TA to always keep it locked in the hotel safe and walk around d with a color copy. Also leave a color copy at home with a loved one in case if situations like this. The copies can’t get you in a ship but the it may make it easier to get it replaced having the passport id number and issuing dates. 

49 minutes ago, love to cruz said:

We have a son in law who is an FBI agent. He said always keep your passports locked in a safe. Passports are worth over $40,000 on the black market. He also advised to always keep a copy with you.

I always have several copies of passports and credit cards just for that reason.

43 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I was told by my TA to always keep it locked in the hotel safe and walk around d with a color copy. Also leave a color copy at home with a loved one in case if situations like this. The copies can’t get you in a ship but the it may make it easier to get it replaced having the passport id number and issuing dates. 

in Canada it is illegal to have any government document photocopied in colour.    

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I keep scanned copies in a folder on my google drive so I can access from anywhere.

That is a good suggestion. I have copies of our passports and credit cards and leave them in the safe.

Rarely take the passport and always just one credit card when going on a shore excursions.

We just got an email mail from Celebrity regarding our end of October Edge cruise Rome-Dubai. It said if you want to disembark in Aquaba, Jordan you must leave your passport with Jordan authorities. You will get your passport back when you re board. A little leery of that but what are going to do. Want to see Petra, one the major highlights of the cruise.   

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Must confess I was thinking exactly the same…So easy to just push passports in a pocket as you go from passport control to luggage collection or as you check in to drop them in the hand luggage that they shouldn’t be in ‘just until you get up to your room…’. 

🤞 for your parents. Please keep us updated…

I thought this too. Not being a thief, I guess I can't imagine what someone can do with another person's passport???

• Like 1

Is it possible they just didn't get them back from the hotel when they were checking in?  I have to agree with the others that it does seem odd that they would have been stolen.  I am sure they are very distraught and maybe they could ask someone to help them search their room again?  Also could they have been accidentally picked up with housekeeping?  Hopefully they have asked the hotel management if anything was found.