Musing around Japan (Sept 25 - Oct 9) live

Port Power

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Port Power was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

This blog is to continue with the next leg on Silver Muse, a circumnavigation of Japan including Busan, South Korea.  Please note that I tend not to photograph food, but I will try to remember when there are special events or dinners.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This morning those of us in transit had the choice of several tours.  When I left my cabin and walked through Dolce Vita, the lounge was quite full of departing passengers awaiting their colour call.  Oh, how nice to simply walk through without the carry-on following behind!

There are 104 passengers continuing on around Japan, so about one-quarter of guests from the trans Pacific leg.  This cruise is full at around 560 guests, so one-fifth of the passengers are staying on.

Yokohama port.

IMG_0341.thumb.jpeg.122321f7ab96ac1d44f781af2543146f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The half day tour went first to the Kawasaki Daishi Buddhist temple.  For the first time ever when I’ve visited Japan, there were no other tourists there!  The temple was calm, quiet and peaceful.  A few locals came and prayed.  

IMG_2316.thumb.jpeg.7d64802a735262786f8e70854848a6df.jpeg

Besides the temple and five storey pagoda, there was a lovely garden and large pond with koi, including a few of a lovely soft gold colour.

IMG_2319.thumb.jpeg.fcfd9ce77f29f3f8ed8f68b8ea55f2f0.jpeg

IMG_2322.thumb.jpeg.ee981056778a1c8232a5f9b654e85724.jpeg

IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.0d009dc4bdb8073a542047f00e06fa8d.jpeg

• Like 11

The second stop was at the Sankeien Garden.  This was the former home and grounds of the Yanohara family.  The main garden posts were built in 1906 during the Meiji era.  However there is also a temple built in 1634 that was moved to these gardens in 1907.

All that doesn’t matter.  It was a warm, sunny morning and we thoroughly enjoyed walking through these beautiful gardens and around the lake, as well as through the original residence.  As is usual in Japan, the trees had been shaped and trimmed during their growth to achieve harmonious displays.

IMG_2332.thumb.jpeg.b75e46761796e86a302d15ec20c3ecb7.jpeg

IMG_2333.thumb.jpeg.9a2c80aed2baf1e67eae6d26382efdbf.jpeg

IMG_2334.thumb.jpeg.86a4de635ad245bf863017c5c5860c07.jpeg

IMG_2335.thumb.jpeg.9a5e84e1591dc1dda0acac02475e2eef.jpeg

We arrived back to the ship about 12:30pm for lunch at La Terrazza, a glass or two of Pommery champagne, and time to put a load of washing on.  Unfortunately domestic chores still need attending to!  

A few new passengers were aboard, but most came streaming through after 1:30pm.

Now to sit back and relax until the next port destination lecture at 6:00pm. Evelyn is excellent and it is good to find find she is remaining on board.

• Like 10

We are probably going to book this cruise for October 2024 so I will be following along.  Thank you!  

It sounds as though you have visited Japan before.  Given that, do you think this is a good itinerary for someone looking for a good overview trip of Japan (we've never been before)?

3 hours ago, lovestx said:

We are probably going to book this cruise for October 2024 so I will be following along.  Thank you!  

It sounds as though you have visited Japan before.  Given that, do you think this is a good itinerary for someone looking for a good overview trip of Japan (we've never been before)?

I visited Japan in late March to early April this year for the cherry blossom season. It was gorgeous.  That was a land trip by bus and bullet train, with two- and three-night hotel stays.  A cruise goes mostly to very different places, and I think is perfect for an overview of Japan for a first visit.  A cruise also complements the land visit as the destination lecturer provides more information on history and culture as well as places to see.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Port Power said:

The second stop was at the Sankeien Garden.  This was the former home and grounds of the Yanohara family.  The main garden posts were built in 1906 during the Meiji era.  However there is also a temple built in 1634 that was moved to these gardens in 1907.

Wonderful Garden visuals, etc.  Looking forward to lots more from Japan, etc.  

Will you be spending any time in Tokyo?  We have three days after a Mumbai to Singapore Silver Moon sailing and will be doing three days there in the Japan capital as we journey back home.  First time for Japan.  Look forward to any and all tips and suggestions for Tokyo, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

49 minutes ago, lovestx said:

Terry, I hope you are spending some time in Singapore too.  We spent four nights there last November and loved it.  Feel free to be in touch if you need suggestions (ccrosner@aol.com)

YES, planning for three full days in Singapore at the end of our Silver Moon sailing.  Looking forward to exploring a fascinating city for which I have heard so much good and wonderful.  Will follow-up with you.  Appreciate the help and interest.  

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Will you be spending any time in Tokyo?  We have three days after a Mumbai to Singapore Silver Moon sailing and will be doing three days there in the Japan capital as we journey back home.  First time for Japan.  Look forward to any and all tips and suggestions for Tokyo, etc.  

I am flying straight home after disembarking as I have another land trip in Europe to get to.  Several passengers are staying on, and I’m sure you will receive suggestions from other CC members.

• Like 2

After the Welcome show in the Venetian Lounge last night, Jonathan read out the facts and figures, which always interest me.  Silver Muse is full this trip, with 560 guests.  There are 23 solo guests.  There are guests of 28 nationalities!  There is one person from Malaysia, two from Korea, two from Mexico, six from Austria, etc.  However, the main group numbers are quite different now, showing the international flavour of Silversea.  14 from New Zealand, 77 Canadians (a large French Canadian cohort), 92 from the UK, 102 Australians and 149 from USA.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The Muse was leaving Shimizu at 1:30pm, so tours started early.  I was on one of the tours to the Segentaishi Shrine and Shiraito Waterfalls.  It was a warm, sunny day today.  The bus only had 20 guests and the excellent guide was the tour guides’ boss.

The shrine was nice, but it was the water coming from inside the mountains that made it such a lovely place to visit.  So clear!  Samurai used to bathe in the ponds before entering the shrine.  In fact as the bus left, I saw an older man standing in one of the pools (dressed but bare chested) washing himself.

IMG_2346.thumb.jpeg.ca2f586f4b3cb6f4df24850e6f4fd948.jpeg

IMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.97316c7326feeca4c1e0d6cc255bd7a1.jpeg

You can see the trout quite clearly.

IMG_2352.thumb.jpeg.e712b6e21c26a394ea3afe2b78a681d7.jpeg

Mount Fuji is always there.

IMG_2354.thumb.jpeg.5d2889b9c36aae111041c7c3d93bb1d3.jpeg

• Like 13

The Shimizu area mainly grows tea and mandarins.  There were neat rows of tea bushes over large areas, but even squeezed into land between buildings along the main road.

IMG_2338.thumb.jpeg.c6fb9dbbed414943bd1ee764d4a9aa41.jpeg

The waterfalls were lovely, worth the walk down all those stairs.  And then back up, of course!

IMG_2360.thumb.jpeg.3fc606e62a88fc35a91bf6708942a5c2.jpeg

IMG_2367.thumb.jpeg.bcb39e439df3dea2180514ff4f720381.jpeg

IMG_2370.thumb.jpeg.f8bbc5b4b8c3c89a97d659fbc7b4685e.jpeg

And again….

IMG_2373.thumb.jpeg.73053d13bf60b44f72ea41dea76d95e6.jpeg

The guide said Mount Fuji was about 15km away.

• Like 12

On 9/25/2023 at 1:50 PM, TLCOhio said:

Hello, make sure you booked a private guide to visit Tokyo.  We did at the end of our cruise around Japan and in 3 days were very enjoyable without loosing time.

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

I love seeing the taiko drums and indeed hearing them.

And I am officially jealous. In all our visits to Japan not once have we seen Fuji without it being shrouded in cloud.

So do I.  This is the second port where the drums were played. Love them!  And we are honoured the young people took the time to play for us.

In early April on my land tour, we stayed at a resort right by Mount Fuji.  We crossed the lake on a boat.  Saw nothing!  Fog all across the lake, fog obliterating the sky.  

The downside though, is the temperature.  Yesterday was a pleasant 27C, but today was 32C.  It is still very hot in much of Japan.  

Forget about ABC in Europe, here it’s “another bloody shrine”!  I would skip tomorrow’s excursion to yet another shrine except that it also goes to that incredible building with escalators seemingly in mid air miles above the ground!

I need a good foot massage, but not at Zaharia Spa prices!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1