Zaandam

JGCRUISE0507

What are recent passengers' thoughts on Zaandam? Some recent videos look like the ship has been updated in public areas however the staterooms look like they did back in 2000. Any thoughts greatly appreciated looking at a March cruise in 2024 14 nights to Panama Canal.

Thanks,

2 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Thank you for these helpful pictures.  We board the Zaandam in December for 16 days...

OP- JGCRUISE0507--as others suggested I have been reading everything that has Zaandam in the title, looking at pictures from various sites.

Actually, I have to say, the one thing I did notice that desperately needed attention were the pads on the loungers on the promenade deck. They were very stained. So much that I usually brought a pool towel with me to sit on. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, seaoma said:

Actually, I have to say, the one thing I did notice that desperately needed attention were the pads on the loungers on the promenade deck. They were very stained. So much that I usually brought a pool towel with me to sit on. 

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.  There was a thread a few months ago that showed a really bad shower stall, had me slightly worried... Just figured I would deal with it if I had to.  Thanks for shower pic, is that an inside cabin?

Some of the bathrooms are dated. Even the Neptune Suites have small bathrooms---but nice dressing rooms.  The overall condition of the ship is good. But yes, some things are dated just due to when it was built....not due to wear and tear, rather old school. Which also has it's charm.

43 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.  There was a thread a few months ago that showed a really bad shower stall, had me slightly worried... Just figured I would deal with it if I had to.  Thanks for shower pic, is that an inside cabin?

Yes, it was an inside cabin. I saw that thread also and was worried, but our bathroom was fine. The coffee table wasn't perfect and some trim in the cabin had some paint chipped in a few places and I didn't even notice that until we had been on the ship for most of the 21 days.  

We were pleased with the condition of the ship. I would say upholstery was the biggest letdown, but there were plenty of places to move to if that seat didn't look clean enough for me. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Some of the bathrooms are dated. Even the Neptune Suites have small bathrooms---but nice dressing rooms.  The overall condition of the ship is good. But yes, some things are dated just due to when it was built....not due to wear and tear, rather old school. Which also has it's charm.

I really don't have any issue with the décor either. It's not bright and shiny like the Pinnacle class but it has lots of nostalgia for those of us that began cruising in the 1980's. Lol

• Like 1

"IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Zaandam that during the April 2018 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below staterooms will be updated to a shower-only configuration:

Lower Promenade Deck: D3331 - D3370

Main Deck: C2564 - C2647

Please note, this change does not affect all Oceanview staterooms, only the specific staterooms noted above."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

"IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Zaandam that during the April 2018 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below staterooms will be updated to a shower-only configuration:

Please note, this change does not affect all Oceanview staterooms, only the specific staterooms noted above."

Crystal we are booked into a EE on promenade deck . will Hal be converting those showers  .Also didn't they replace all the TVs to the modern TVs ? 

TIA 

Cliff

Sometimes if ships are well maintained, old isn't bad. When we started criuising in 1980 a lot of our cruises were on old  former ocean liners that were converted to cruise ships, some of our best cruises were on classics like Sitmar's Fairwind, Costa's Carla Costa, the Costa Riviera, Dolphin's Seabreeze and Regency's Regent Star. All those ships were built in the early 1950s and had charm that will never be duplicated.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Sometimes if ships are well maintained, old isn't bad. When we started criuising in 1980 a lot of our cruises were on old  former ocean liners that were converted to cruise ships, some of our best cruises were on classics like Sitmar's Fairwind, Costa's Carla Costa, the Costa Riviera, Dolphin's Seabreeze and Regency's Regent Star. All those ships were built in the early 1950s and had charm that will never be duplicated.

I completely agree! I sailed on the Carla C and Fairwind. Zaandam reminds me a little of those classics, although IMHO it’s in much better condition than they were in the late 1970s/early 1980s. 

8 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I completely agree! I sailed on the Carla C and Fairwind. Zaandam reminds me a little of those classics, although IMHO it’s in much better condition than they were in the late 1970s/early 1980s. 

Our first cruise was on the Fairwind, still the most fun we ever had on a cruise, we were hooked, if Sitmar was still around we probably would still be sailing with them, they were the best.

BTW our favorite HAL ship was the Westerdam that was the original Homeric bought by HAL from Home lines, she was a classic beauty.  HAL did a stretch job on her IIRC about 100 feet shortly after taking possession.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

"IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

We were in H3398 and it was converted

I've been watching current cruiser posts about the ship as well as this thread.  I'm excited because the ship looks to be about the right size for my style of cruising.  A real promenade, somewhere to get something to eat when I'm hungry, and somewhere to get a wee dram or three in the evening to watch the sunset and I'm good.

I try to avoid the alcohol-fueled, country fair, amusement park style ships with unsupervised feral children.  

The Zaandam looks to be a good fit for a cruise up the Amazon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

The Zaandam looks to be a good fit for a cruise up the Amazon.

It absolutely will be. I would need to get a fan for my cabin though. I like cool but I also like moving air and on some days, especially the warm ones, I felt our inside cabin was stuffy. I'm sure having any other cabin would not have helped my situation. It's just me. 

So this is strictly food for thought.

6 hours ago, seaoma said:

It absolutely will be. I would need to get a fan for my cabin though. I like cool but I also like moving air and on some days, especially the warm ones, I felt our inside cabin was stuffy. I'm sure having any other cabin would not have helped my situation. It's just me. 

So this is strictly food for thought.

Good tip.  I tend to run on the hot side so I carry a small travel fan.  It also helps my in-room laundry operation dry clothes faster. 😁