Cabo: Is it safe to walk alone around port area during the day ?

Rainbow3fe

Hi, 

I would like to know if it's a good idea for a woman to walk from the dock tonthe shopping area of Cabo San Lucas during the day? I have never been concerned in other ports but heard that extra caution should be taken in Mexico.

I really would appreciate some feedback. 

Thanks 😎 

Cabo is a tender port.  That means that the ship anchors offshore and you take a ship's lifeboat or a private company's tender boat (arranged and paid for by the cruise line) from the ship to the Marina.  

The Marina is filled with restaurants, bars and stores.  It is incredibly safe; the only crime I've heard of is pickpockets. 

It is a short walk from the Marina to other parts of town with more restaurants, bars and stores.  These too are pretty safe, but after dark, I would not recommend a woman walking alone.  When we overnighted in Cabo, my wife enjoyed her favorite cafe after dark, but she stayed safe inside until I came by to collect her.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Relatively safe but beware of street drug dealers trying to sell you drugs.

We've been to this port stop many times over the years and most recently this past January and have never had this happen !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are arriving on Discovery Princess in Feb.  Friends, that frequent Cabo, are saying the ship tenders arrive a distance from town and you need to take a water taxi to get to the main area.  It's been years since I've cruised to Cabo, any assistance?

Thanks so much

J:  The ship‘s tenders arrive in the marina, which is full of restaurants, bars, and shops. I always take a “water taxi“ or “glass bottom boat“ ride from the marina out to the arch, but I have never heard of taking a water taxi “to downtown.“ I will walk or take a taxi or a pedicab to places like the giggling marlin or Cabo Wabo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, J18ktleo said:

Friends, that frequent Cabo, are saying the ship tenders arrive a distance from town and you need to take a water taxi to get to the main area.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  Water taxis won't help you get to Centro which isn't all that far of a walk from the tender port.

By the "main area" you may be referring to Medano Beach?  The beach is walkable from the tender port but is on the opposite side of the harbor and is quicker to reach by water taxi.  As a benefit, the water taxi will likely take you past the arch - assuming you negotiate that first as part of the overall price.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

This doesn't make any sense to me.  Water taxis won't help you get to Centro which isn't all that far of a walk from the tender port.

By the "main area" you may be referring to Medano Beach?  The beach is walkable from the tender port but is on the opposite side of the harbor and is quicker to reach by water taxi.  As a benefit, the water taxi will likely take you past the arch - assuming you negotiate that first as part of the overall price.  

Thank you.  I wasn't sure so wanted to know what we're up for.  Now just wondering how long the tenders will run as we're there overnite,...hmmmm

2 minutes ago, J18ktleo said:

how long the tenders will run as we're there overnite

Enjoy your trip.  If you like steak, I would recommend "El Perregrino" (The Pilgrim) for dinner.  The last time we were in Cabo, my wife and I shared the "Asdo Argentino" and it was wonderful although a bit over the top in terms of quantity. It's kind of busy so you need to make a reservation in advance:

https://elperegrinocabo.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J18ktleo said:

Thank you.  I wasn't sure so wanted to know what we're up for.  Now just wondering how long the tenders will run as we're there overnite,...hmmmm

How late the tenders run is up to each Captain.  Not even each cruise line.  I just checked my old files and in January of this year, the last tender back to the ship was supposed to be 11:30 p.m., and tender service was scheduled to resume at 7:00 am.  So not late partying in Cabo's bars unless you were going to spend the night ashore.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, J18ktleo said:

We are arriving on Discovery Princess in Feb.  Friends, that frequent Cabo, are saying the ship tenders arrive a distance from town and you need to take a water taxi to get to the main area.  It's been years since I've cruised to Cabo, any assistance?

Thanks so much

You do not need to take a water taxi to town. Get off the ship and follow the crowd and you will be in town in 15 minutes.