Onboard Explora 1 (Sept 25- Oct 13) with Hank

Hlitner

25 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Up until now i thought the best bagel i had ever eaten is produced in Portland by a local yet large maker of bread and bagel products supplying to markets named Franz bakery. Well bagel eaters will obviously differ in opinions however i really enjoybthe absolute lightness of the EJ bagel.

My bagel joke of the day HOW TO DO KEEP SOMEONE FROM STEALING YOUR BAGEL 

PUT LOX ON IT

Lol.  As one who was born in NYC and likely had my first bagel before my first steps, this is a very serious topic (as is good lox).  But I do think Wiki has it correct when it describes a bagel as having a dense chewy texture.  New Yorkers think that is where you get the best bagels which can only be properly made with NYC water.  Most would agree that if you call a bagel “light” it is not even a real bagel.  We could move on to a bialy discussion 🤪

We were recently in Montreal where the debate between Montreal vs NYC bagels will always cause an emotional response.  Montreal makes their holes larger and adds

some honey to the dough.  They do give the NYC bagel good competition.

Once knew some west coast folks who paid to have their bagels shipped from NYC (H and H bagels).  Also knew a UAL pilot who was always bringing pastrami sandwiches back to LA (from NYC) for his neighbors.  No pastrami on EJ, which is a darn shame.

Hank

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Lol.  As one who was born in NYC and likely had my first bagel before my first steps, this is a very serious topic (as is good lox).  But I do think Wiki has it correct when it describes a bagel as having a dense chewy texture.  New Yorkers think that is where you get the best bagels which can only be properly made with NYC water.  Most would agree that if you call a bagel “light” it is not even a real bagel.  We could move on to a bialy discussion 🤪

My cousin living in California and a former New Yorker has his bagels overnighted from new york to California. 

My daughter thinks i have poor lox choices because i live Costco sockeye salmon  and eat it every morning. As a result of me saying that maybe ill get criticized for lacking in class or breeding

54 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

And lastly a word about the bagels.  They look good, but are simply soft bread in the shape of a bagel.  They would not pass muster in either NYC or Montreal where a bagel must have a

firm chewy texture.  I have spent nearly 50 years looking for my first good bagel on a cruise ship, and that quest must now continue.

And when you ask for a toasted bagel, they slice it using a horizontal slice.  Which means the "host" with the knife is pressing down to hold the bagel steady, which leaves the "bagel" scrunched down and falling apart.

As for the lobster rolls -- best lobster onboard are the fresh tails grilled to order in the Marketplace at dinner (and sometimes lunch). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Realistically and I think it will become more 

Problematic when the ship is at high capacity. It is an issue when you order from one part of Emporium and then go to another item somewhere else then go back and pick up your original item sort of like a buffet then take rhe items to your table then go back and pick out the items you want etc. Thats what i did at breakfast this morning  along with my tasty bagel location. Lol 

Does not sound like a hugh problem its just cumbersome 

I’m more worried about how cumbersome it is in the evening which is why I’m currently suspending judgement on whether we would ever go to the Emporium at night. Despite the reports of good food I want more service and less hassle 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

And when you ask for a toasted bagel, they slice it using a horizontal slice.  Which means the "host" with the knife is pressing down to hold the bagel steady, which leaves the "bagel" scrunched down and falling apart.

As for the lobster rolls -- best lobster onboard are the fresh tails grilled to order in the Marketplace at dinner (and sometimes lunch). 

Have not seen any tails at lunch.  Dinner is on our agenda, since it is the only dinner venue we have yet to sample (except for Anthology which is soon to come).  Had the lobster thermidor in Fil Rouge which was sinfully rich.

Hank

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So now we are starting to get into the nitty gritty details and negative issues.  Once the WOW factor wears off, issues like made to order delays in the Emporium do come front and center.  EJ does not want to be compared to any other line but, Seabourn solved (years ago) the inherent made to order issues in their lido (Colonnade).  They simply use a hybrid system of some buffet combined with sit down ordering and service.  If you want Blueberry Pancakes, you simply tell a waiter who immediately inputs your order into a tablet. The nearby galley (an open galley) makes your order which is quickly delivered to your table.  EJ needs to adopt something similar, but it will likely take years until they accept the faults in their system and seek a solution.  

Another issue here is the lack of decent port information.  No port lectures, handouts of port info, or even information on port shuttles.  You just have to discover this stuff on your own, often by walking off the ship and hoping for the best.  This is fine for very independent folks but will not please many cruisers who expect more info.  We are docked in Baie-Conway today.  There was zero info, in the daily program, on how ti get into town (about 2km distant).  We assume there is some kind of shuttle, but will not know until we are off the ship.  I guess one could also go to one of the Guest Services desks, wait to see a

”host” and hope they have some

answers.  

I think EJ sees themselves as a hotel, not a cruise ship.  Those expecting a more traditional experience might be unhappy.  Also consider folks that normally enjoy table sharing on cruise ships.  There is no provision for that on EJ (although they do have some get togethers for singles). You cannot go into any dining venue and ask to share a table.  They also do not have anything like the popular “hosted tables” found on Seabourn and some other lines.  The Chefs Kitchen program (only a dozen participants) is one way to meet folks, but you will pay 150 Euros per class. 

And lastly a word about the bagels.  They look good, but are simply soft bread in the shape of a bagel.  They would not pass muster in either NYC or

Montreal where a bagel must have a

firm chewy texture.  I have spent nearly 50 years looking for my first good bagel on a cruise ship, and that quest must now continue.

Hank

To be fair - anyone that has eaten a NY Bagel certainly knows how it should taste & its textures - saying that I haven't found a decent bagel outside of NYC(ZUCKERS & GOURMET GARAGE had the best) Even in Florida (large NY population) they don't know what a schmear is & the bagels doughy.  I have  a home in the Hudson Valley & was happy to discover a bagel shop in RHINEBECK - decent substitute, but not a real NYC bagel.

As far as finding a good bagel on a foreign flagged & staffed ship, or any ship for that matter   - I would say the chances are NIL!!!!  It would be like comparing gelato from Israel to the real Italian made(BTW MSC had really great gelato onboard).

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

I’m more worried about how cumbersome it is in the evening which is why I’m currently suspending judgement on whether we would ever go to the Emporium at night. Despite the reports of good food I want more service and less hassle 

Understand and will report back they do have lobster every evening i am told. Might go tonight or Fil Rouge 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Have not seen any tails at lunch.  Dinner is on our agenda, since it is the only dinner venue we have yet to sample (except for Anthology which is soon to come).  Had the lobster thermidor in Fil Rouge which was sinfully rich.

Hank

Right no tails at lunch but every night at dinner i am told

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Critically Cruising said:

Then again Toasting is only done to a stale NY Bagel.

They do restock supplies even in small ports. Today in Baie-Comeau (population approximately 9100 with greater “metro” area being approximately 21,000 per Wikipedia) I saw a pickup truck parked right next to the gangway with a delivery of multiple crates of milk. 

And the orange juice does seem to be fresh squeezed at The Emporium (as I had a seed in mine - not a complaint).

• Like 2

If it ain’t boiled, it’s not a bagel - it’s a 🥯-oid imposter!

brick oven vs electric or gas open to debate but I’ll always opt for open flame 🔥 brick 🧱 oven!

No hotel or ship EVER serves a true boiled bagel.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

As a life long West Side New Yorker I can attest that Dr Cocktail is correct. Even in Manhattan not many places still adhere to this. To be certain of what I am getting I buy my bagels only at Zabar’s or at Cousin Eli’s on the East Side. 

2 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

As a life long West Side New Yorker I can attest that Dr Cocktail is correct. Even in Manhattan not many places still adhere to this. To be certain of what I am getting I buy my bagels only at Zabar’s or at Cousin Eli’s on the East Side. 

We’re very lucky in Toronto  - MANY maisons d’boiled bagels with brick ovens!

A delicious caloric nightmare !

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

Going to try and get this thread on track.  We finally met Waltershipman, this evening, and had time for an intellectual discussion about bagels :).   But on this post I want to talk about this specific cruise (the 10 day from Quebec to NYC) and our entertainment.  EJ has a resident group of musicians and singers are they are quite good.  But this voyage is very special as it ends with the naming ceremony for the ship, and in many ways is kind of a christening of a new company.  We have gotten to know some of the hosts (staff/crew) and do sense the building of some excitement.  

There is a gentleman aboard, from the Geneva home office, who is responsible for the corporate entertainment program.  From him we learn some interesting history about EJ entertainment.  They are a company that is striving to be very upscale and is also building 6 ships (known around here as vessels).  What could be more natural than to put Steinway pianos on these ships.  Those who know something about music and pianos know that Steinway is special (and a legend) in the piano world.  So, when a representative from EJ went to Steinway and Sons, and put in an order for 6 of their best pianos (with player piano capability) it raised eyebrows.  Steinway only produces about 2600 pianos a year and there can be a long waiting list for some models.  No electric keyboards for EJ, just the best pianos money can buy.  And so, a special relationship was born between EJ and Steinway.

The payoff is on this cruise where Steinway sent 4 of their contracted pianists (these are world class pianists) to the "vessel" for this voyage.  A 5th will be joining us in Halifax.  These guys all work full time for Steinway, and travel the world representing the brand, doing concerts, and demos.  Tonight, they had a 2 hour show in the Explora Lounge (attended by nearly half the passengers on the ship) and their skills were put on full display.  It was one of those special shows that rarely happens on ships, and everyone knew it!  They will continue to entertain throughout the cruise and be an integral part of the Oct 12 Naming Ceremony Day.  To give you some idea of the quality, one of these gentlemen is the music director for Shirley Bassey. 

DW and I have been in this cruise game for a long time (50 years for me) and I do appreciate that this is turning into a special voyage.  While some on this thread might think it is folly to be on an early cruise of a new cruise line, we now realize that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for cruise lovers.  Yes, things are far from perfect (this is a line that still needs to find the right combination of class, luxury, and the cruise experience).  That being said, DW and I are having a great time, have met some wonderful folks (passengers, crew, and guest entertainers) and are thrilled to be a part of what seems to be a special voyage.   

The downside is that trying to evaluate/rate a product that is still evolving, is quite difficult.  We have met folks who cruise on Seabourn, Regent, Silverseas, and some other luxury lines.  Most tell us they are enjoying themselves.  Whether that translates into future bookings is a question.

By the way, tonight DW and I returned to the Med Yacht Club (our least favorite restaurant) for dinner.  As soon as we were seated, a gentleman at the next table told me his Dover Sole was terrific (he is a Regent cruiser) so I ordered the sole.  He was right.  The dish (fileted tableside) was delicious and would hold its own against the amazing Dover Sole served in the Thomas Keller grills on Seabourn.

I do think the big weakness in the onboard cuisine are the desserts.  This is the area where constraints, imposed by the home office, are likely much of the problem.  The same old "tarts" are boring and not even very good.  It seems like each restaurant has 1 or 2 decent desserts, but that is not enough when folks will eat in each restaurant multiple times.  The dessert problem is even more apparent at the Emporium lunches.  Everyday it is two tarts (from a very short list of types) with a single cream puff thingee (which rotates flavors every 3 or 4 days) and some fruit.  There is little imagination, and the lack of variety is a huge negative.  We seldom see folks getting desserts at lunch, and assume most are as underwhelmed as moi.  Perhaps my message to Geneva should be "let your people go" and do their thing without restraints.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Going to try and get this thread on track.  We finally met Waltershipman, this evening, and had time for an intellectual discussion about bagels :).   But on this post I want to talk about this specific cruise (the 10 day from Quebec to NYC) and our entertainment.  EJ has a resident group of musicians and singers are they are quite good.  But this voyage is very special as it ends with the naming ceremony for the ship, and in many ways is kind of a christening of a new company.  We have gotten to know some of the hosts (staff/crew) and do sense the building of some excitement.  

There is a gentleman aboard, from the Geneva home office, who is responsible for the corporate entertainment program.  From him we learn some interesting history about EJ entertainment.  They are a company that is striving to be very upscale and is also building 6 ships (known around here as vessels).  What could be more natural than to put Steinway pianos on these ships.  Those who know something about music and pianos know that Steinway is special (and a legend) in the piano world.  So, when a representative from EJ went to Steinway and Sons, and put in an order for 6 of their best pianos (with player piano capability) it raised eyebrows.  Steinway only produces about 2600 pianos a year and there can be a long waiting list for some models.  No electric keyboards for EJ, just the best pianos money can buy.  And so, a special relationship was born between EJ and Steinway.

The payoff is on this cruise where Steinway sent 4 of their contracted pianists (these are world class pianists) to the "vessel" for this voyage.  A 5th will be joining us in Halifax.  These guys all work full time for Steinway, and travel the world representing the brand, doing concerts, and demos.  Tonight, they had a 2 hour show in the Explora Lounge (attended by nearly half the passengers on the ship) and their skills were put on full display.  It was one of those special shows that rarely happens on ships, and everyone knew it!  They will continue to entertain throughout the cruise and be an integral part of the Oct 12 Naming Ceremony Day.  To give you some idea of the quality, one of these gentlemen is the music director for Shirley Bassey. 

DW and I have been in this cruise game for a long time (50 years for me) and I do appreciate that this is turning into a special voyage.  While some on this thread might think it is folly to be on an early cruise of a new cruise line, we now realize that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for cruise lovers.  Yes, things are far from perfect (this is a line that still needs to find the right combination of class, luxury, and the cruise experience).  That being said, DW and I are having a great time, have met some wonderful folks (passengers, crew, and guest entertainers) and are thrilled to be a part of what seems to be a special voyage.   

The downside is that trying to evaluate/rate a product that is still evolving, is quite difficult.  We have met folks who cruise on Seabourn, Regent, Silverseas, and some other luxury lines.  Most tell us they are enjoying themselves.  Whether that translates into future bookings is a question.

By the way, tonight DW and I returned to the Med Yacht Club (our least favorite restaurant) for dinner.  As soon as we were seated, a gentleman at the next table told me his Dover Sole was terrific (he is a Regent cruiser) so I ordered the sole.  He was right.  The dish (fileted tableside) was delicious and would hold its own against the amazing Dover Sole served in the Thomas Keller grills on Seabourn.

I do think the big weakness in the onboard cuisine are the desserts.  This is the area where constraints, imposed by the home office, are likely much of the problem.  The same old "tarts" are boring and not even very good.  It seems like each restaurant has 1 or 2 decent desserts, but that is not enough when folks will eat in each restaurant multiple times.  The dessert problem is even more apparent at the Emporium lunches.  Everyday it is two tarts (from a very short list of types) with a single cream puff thingee (which rotates flavors every 3 or 4 days) and some fruit.  There is little imagination, and the lack of variety is a huge negative.  We seldom see folks getting desserts at lunch, and assume most are as underwhelmed as moi.  Perhaps my message to Geneva should be "let your people go" and do their thing without restraints.

Hank

Thanks Hank loved meeting face to face. This ship is wonderful.  As a 100 plus prior cruiser on a variety of lines including Seabourn Crystal Silver Sea royal  Caribbean Celebrity and many lines that no longer. Exist we are having a great time. For us the small passenger load is a plus and yet we have met lovely people.

It is most impressive that when you talk to the crew i have found that while many are new to the cruising world most of those have 5 and 6 star hotel experience many ftom Dubai.  They must have had an amazing recruitment process. Several come from the Armani hotel in Dubai 

We are indeed fortunate to be on this ship and are truly grateful 

Best to all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

News flash one more bagel thought 

Yes after careful and thoughtfully eating the bagel this morning untoasted i totally agree wuth Hank. 

The bagels serm ti be bread shaped in bagel  firm

On to another food item and not to create controversy  I had herring this morning  and I thought it the best ever delicate fresh and delightful for herring fans.

• Like 1

Let’s start another controversy.  We have previously posted, several times, that a lack of communications between EJ and their “guests” is a major weak point.  Today it has reached a new low.  We have it on good authority that Prince Edward Island has been cancelled due to bad weather, Gaspe has tentatively been added tomorrow followed by 2 sea days.  

However, Guest non-Relations refuses to confirm anything and is more concerned that I have this knowledge (which is still supposed to be a secret).  At some

point (it will need to be later today) they will somehow need to officially tell all the Guests.  On any other cruise line the Captain would have immediately told passengers about the cancelled port and perhaps added that there would be further info once everything was confirmed.  Here, their style is to keep passengers in the dark for an unreasonable amount of time.  This creates issues for those who have private plans in a cancelled port,  but apparently that is not a concern to EJ.

This all seems to go to an attitude that EJ is a resort hotel rather than a cruise line.  Somebody said to me it is like they are trying too hard to be different.  We could compare this to a recent Seabourn cruise where the Captain informed passengers that it was “likely” we would miss a port due to sea conditions.  He tried to get into that port but it ultimately proved impossible.  Most appreciated being kept informed and not being treated like children.

Hank

PS.  This post is harsh but deserved

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do think the big weakness in the onboard cuisine are the desserts.

Not disagreeing, but on the dessert front, a few standouts (for me):

• chocolate mouse at The Emporium (I am generally not a fan of the dessert - but their version is *fantastic*
• berry soufflé at Fil Rouge

• fried beignets at Marble & Co.

20 minutes ago, jsea said:

Not disagreeing, but on the dessert front, a few standouts (for me):

• chocolate mouse at The Emporium (I am generally not a fan of the dessert - but their version is *fantastic*
• berry soufflé at Fil Rouge

• fried beignets at Marble & Co.

Agree with all you say.  Go back to those venues a few times and you will get those exact same choices. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, jsea said:

One oddity: emergency pathway lighting has been on the entire voyage. Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I don’t recall this being active at all times on other ships.

Same on my cruise.  When I asked at the "front desk", the answer was that they didn't know.  (Which could be put onto a recording, and they just need to push a button to play it back).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

However, Guest non-Relations refuses to confirm anything and is more concerned that I have this knowledge (which is still supposed to be a secret).

Goes along with them not telling us what NYC terminal we were using.  Or what the transfer options and costs were.  Or so many other things that made it almost a game of Twenty Questions.

The good news....if these folks were captured during WW2, none of them would reveal that the invasion was to be at Normandy.

• Haha 4