Vista or Magic? Same itinerary

helene109

Just off the Mardi Gras on Saturday and husband said it was a day too long. Looking at these two ships 6 day itineraries. We have been on the Vista great ship. We would have to fly to either port. The times in port is a little different. Yes we have been to the ports too. Excited as we need 6 more nights to be platinum! Our friends coming with haven’t been to these ports. Thank you!

D9505EBF-4C38-4217-9CF0-37D5C24D7690.png

6CA59C32-3B56-4FBC-86C7-08B15C86620D.png

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

If everything was equal I’d go vista but flying out of Orlando was a nightmare. It will have to be a very cheap or special cruise for me to go back.

I agree Saturday TSA took forever at Orlando airport. At least with Miami you have Ft. Lauderdale as a option.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, helene109 said:

I agree Saturday TSA took forever at Orlando airport. At least with Miami you have Ft. Lauderdale as a option.

Yes. I can’t speak on the Miami airport because I’ve done Fort Lauderdale twice. It’s nice having two airport options.

• Like 3

When flying out of MCO, strongly recommend reserving a time to go through security using MCO Reserve. Google it and you'll find it. I have used it a few times and it is legit. I do not have Pre-Check but I am able to breeze right through security using a separate line than all the other lines.

That doesn't do anything about the hour-long bus ride to get to the airport after getting off the ship, but it's better than waiting in 30+ minute TSA lines at the airport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

When flying out of MCO, strongly recommend reserving a time to go through security using MCO Reserve. Google it and you'll find it. I have used it a few times and it is legit. I do not have Pre-Check but I am able to breeze right through security using a separate line than all the other lines.

That doesn't do anything about the hour-long bus ride to get to the airport after getting off the ship, but it's better than waiting in 30+ minute TSA lines at the airport.

Thanks for that tip on the MCO reserve. I could have used it a few weeks ago after our Disney cruise. Won't be cruising out of there until next April. Going to register now!

• Like 4

I drive in, so I have no thoughts on Miami vs Orlando. But Magic vs Vista class, I'd go Magic every time. Though last Magic was right before covid shutdown. If I do go Vista class, I'll be in Havana. On Magic you'll find me on deck 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We had a Vista cruise scheduled for May out of Canaveral.   We were anxious to sail her for the first time.  However,  after seeing that the Magic was scheduled back to Miami,  we canceled Vista and booked Magic.  This will be our second sailing on her. We thoroughly enjoyed our last cruise on the Magic and look forward to sailing her again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We had a Vista cruise scheduled for May out of Canaveral.   We were anxious to sail her for the first time.  However,  after seeing that the Magic was scheduled back to Miami,  we canceled Vista and booked Magic.  This will be our second sailing on her. We thoroughly enjoyed our last cruise on the Magic and look forward to sailing her again.

Great to hear that you really enjoyed it! I think that I will enjoy the atrium and washer and dryer’s lol

• Haha 1

Vista is a tad newer but the same class of ship.  i'd give it a half point edge.  

Miami sailaway muuuuuuuch cooler than Canaveral, give them a half point.  

shuttling to port from airport is muuuuuuuuch easier from Miami, another half point.  if you're staying the day before give miami another half point, much more to do and see.  plus, OCEANFRONT! 

the only way canaveral makes up the difference is if airfare is ridiculously cheaper.   which is a real possibility.  we almost always can get to MCO cheaper than FLL or MIA. 

basically its pretty close to a coin flip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Vista is a tad newer but the same class of ship.  i'd give it a half point edge.  

No, they are different classes.  Vista is a Vista-class ship.  Magic is a Dream-class ship.  Vista is a bit bigger than Magic/Dream, and carries more pax.  But yes, Vista is newer.

The itineraries are essentially the same, so maybe go with Miami due to easier access to/from the airport?  Or maybe let price (including airfare) drive the choice?

(I live in the Orlando area, so Port Canaveral is always the immediate choice for me, because it's an easy drive.)

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

dangit. we've been on Magic, Breeze, Horizon and Panorama and i sure thought they were all the same class. whoopsie daisy. 

looks like Magic is 3500 GT smaller with 244 fewer passengers (at double occupancy).  

i give the Vista a half point for the elevators, then.  loved that feature on the Panorama/Horizon.  (the one where you press your floor and get assigned an elevator, reduces line jumpers if they're not going to your floor) 

• Thanks 1

Vista maybe a newer class but they also took a lot of things away to jam extra passengers on board. No dedicaqted bar, added 3 stories of rooms over the 5 story atrium, the downgraded auditorium.  The Havana Aft Balcony on my recent cruise made it worth it but outside of the Havana I  have been thoroughly unimpressed with the Vista on my two cruises. I'm sure it has a great amusement park but I could care less about that nonsense. The other pools on all Carnival ships are am embarassment which will keep me from sailing on Carnival.

13 hours ago, Stallion said:

Vista maybe a newer class but they also took a lot of things away to jam extra passengers on board. No dedicaqted bar, added 3 stories of rooms over the 5 story atrium, the downgraded auditorium.  The Havana Aft Balcony on my recent cruise made it worth it but outside of the Havana I  have been thoroughly unimpressed with the Vista on my two cruises. I'm sure it has a great amusement park but I could care less about that nonsense. The other pools on all Carnival ships are am embarassment which will keep me from sailing on Carnival.

Interesting that you feel that way. I've done cruises on both Dream and Vista Class ships, and never in a Havana cabin. Personally, I think the layout of the Vistas (personally been on Horizon and Panorama) encourages folks to spread out more into different venues.  Certainly on the Dream itself (which has no Red Frog Pub unlike her sisters) EVERYONE congregates in the undersized Ocean Plaza. It's better on both Magic and Breeze with more alternatives.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1